Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Slowman: may we get a CV-19 free forum?
Quote | Reply
I realize people want to talk about CV-19 and all the implications for racing, training, life, etc.

I just can’t look at my phone and avoid being depressed by it. Look at a news site: infection/death counts. Business site: market collapse. Spectator sports site: no games.

It would be nice to come to Slowtwitch and find a distraction from this.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman: may we get a CV-19 free forum? [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the LR was established so the main forum could focus on tri topics.

In the LR, when someone starts posting anything remotely exercise related, they get a friendly,"Take that s!#$ to the other forum" response.
Last edited by: Bumble Bee: Mar 30, 20 7:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
I realize people want to talk about CV-19 and all the implications for racing, training, life, etc.

I just can’t look at my phone and avoid being depressed by it. Look at a news site: infection/death counts. Business site: market collapse. Spectator sports site: no games.

But there are a number of extremely virus-relevant topics to discuss with regards to triathlon. And it's not exactly everyone else's job to ensure you do not become depressed reading the internet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about a "Health" room where people could discuss all health-injury related issues?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:

I just can’t look at my phone and avoid being depressed by it. Look at a news site: infection/death counts. Business site: market collapse. Spectator sports site: no games. It would be nice to come to Slowtwitch and find a distraction from this.

yeah. i know. i feel like that too. but i made a decision about a month ago, to write here, and to host your views, against the landscape of this pandemic rather than to pretend it's not happening. i'm not a fan of subforums. so, i'm not going to create a pandemic-free forum. what i will do is ask that if it's not triathlon related that it go in the lavender room, and if i find that a thread in the tri forum is not pretty closely related to the affect on tri, i'll move it over there myself.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman: may we get a CV-19 free forum? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've felt the same way, too. I've even made 1 or 2 comments in that regard. If only the LR were a little more "inviting" or "balanced". Its a bit "wild west" over there, though---some people are likely to get eaten if they get moved.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman: may we get a CV-19 free forum? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I've felt the same way, too. I've even made 1 or 2 comments in that regard. If only the LR were a little more "inviting" or "balanced". Its a bit "wild west" over there, though---some people are likely to get eaten if they get moved.

Like Carole Baskin's husband?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

there's a number of folks who were objectionable, even by the LR's standards, that were there a month ago, or 4 months ago, who aren't there now. you might find the LR less strident then in times past. not to say it's the wednesday prayer meeting exactly, but, not as bad as it was. i'm also going to be enforcing a bit more civility than is typical during lockdown, because we all want to talk about stuff, and that forum is going to have to become more welcoming, for the next couple of months, and then it can go back to being its sh!te show in July.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but....what are you going to do about Mr. Halifax?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

that guy is a REAL problem! but he knows a lot about the swim, so i let him hang around ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

that guy is a REAL problem! but he knows a lot about the swim, so i let him hang around ;-)

I agree, that guy is a real d!ckhe@d...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no idea what the right answer is. You have an awesome place and community, Think the CV-19 threads on the main forum have been measured, balanced and appropriate.

I know the LR, you don't have to read it, but wow.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman: may we get a CV-19 free forum? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

No, he is a dastardly troll who has clearly not been anywhere near a pool for decades ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Waingro wrote:

I just can’t look at my phone and avoid being depressed by it. Look at a news site: infection/death counts. Business site: market collapse. Spectator sports site: no games. It would be nice to come to Slowtwitch and find a distraction from this.

yeah. i know. i feel like that too. but i made a decision about a month ago, to write here, and to host your views, against the landscape of this pandemic rather than to pretend it's not happening. i'm not a fan of subforums. so, i'm not going to create a pandemic-free forum. what i will do is ask that if it's not triathlon related that it go in the lavender room, and if i find that a thread in the tri forum is not pretty closely related to the affect on tri, i'll move it over there myself.

I agree, I think it's pretty hard to have a current discussion about triathlon without at least some discussion of Covid-19 and it's effects on us. I don't know how you get away from that, given the current climate.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Slowman: may we get a CV-19 free forum? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

No, he is a dastardly troll who has clearly not been anywhere near a pool for decades ...

it has been 3 weeks since I got in the water. when the pools finally do reopen, it's gonna be painful...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you're digging your head in the sand, it's very relevant to society and our everyday actions as a whole.

It will eventually pass, but right now we're all affected and it provides a good outlet for discussion as it pertains to the lifestyles of endurance athletes.

If you want to be free of the media fenzy stop watching CNN and Fox News 24/7.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, even longer for me, I was recovering from the flu and was just about to do my first swim in nearly 3 weeks when ... the pool closed a few weeks ago in IL ! Oh well ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any chance we can at least shut down threads speculating on races that are in October and later? That to me just incites misinformation and undue anxiety.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:

Isn't it pretty easy to determine what threads in the tri forum might discuss COVID? For example, I didn't expect anyone would be discussing COVID in the thread "Show me your BTA setup." and I was correct when I just skimmed through the thread. If you are seeking total distraction why not just read those threads?

Or are you expecting to look at the subject lines in the tri forum and see nothing that makes you think about COVID? I doubt that is possible or beneficial for most readers of the forum.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Mar 30, 20 8:42
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman: may we get a CV-19 free forum? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Any chance we can at least shut down threads speculating on races that are in October and later? That to me just incites misinformation and undue anxiety.

i'm not sure what you mean by this. there are a lot of races that are rescheduled to sept/oct/nov. the RDs are placing their spring races in those autumn months. if you make me place a water, based on what i know today, i think those races are 65 percent likely to happen, and 35 percent likely not to happen. what do you think? i don't know. more to the point, what are you asking? that i shut down the discussion of this? and that i disallow the news of a race getting rescheduled?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

Well if you kick the halifax guy out, can you get Gary Hall Sr back on here at least? He must be bored since he can't be on any pool decks.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman: may we get a CV-19 free forum? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i for one like the daily repeated topic on covid-19 and endless threads
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mean the speculation around Kona & NZ world champs. I don't think those serve any other purpose than for people to say they know exactly how things will be by then when no one does.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman: may we get a CV-19 free forum? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not fair to ask mods to select out posts to delete, but folks need to take the sanctimonious crap somewhere else. There's valid triathlon forum topics about the pandemic, but lots of it goes downhill into SJW shaming junk.

Let's keep it on topic best we can.

Kind of like on Bikeforums when the disease of e-bikes leaks out of their own sub-forum into the other sub-forums too much or too often.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
it has been 3 weeks since I got in the water. when the pools finally do reopen, it's gonna be painful...

surprised by just how much I'm missing swimming.. can get a workout without suffering from gravity.. all this running is very earthbound..
Quote Reply

Prev Next