Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Slowman, Demerly or anyone with shoe mfr contacts . . .
Quote | Reply
 . . . another weekend of long runs and my frustration is renewed. I'm thinking that Demerly at least, and maybe others on this forum, might have some influence with shoe manufacturers and could suggest a specific improvement.

My beef is the lame forefoot outsole that seems to be on every shoe. I switched from heel -striking to a mid/forefoot strike last year and my running is HUGELY better. However, now with so much more of the friction in my shoes being on the mid/forefoot, I'm finding that the outsole in that area wears way too fast.

All of the available running shoes are designed for heel-striking, with the posts and the extra cushioning and the hard carbon on the outsole. How about a shoe designed for the mid/forefoot striker, that will last?

I'm not talking about a racing flat, or a lighweight trainer as they currently exist. I'm talking about a training shoe without all the heel crap, and with some beefy outsole in the mid/forefoot area so I'm not shoe-gooing it after 75 miles? All the reviews talk about the "Blown rubber forefoot for comfort". Screw that, hard carbon rubber is more comfortable than uneven shoe goo and a lot less of a hassle.

I'm 6' and 170 so I'm putting nowhere close to the stress that some clydes out there are throwing on their shoes. But I'm still frustrated and it seems like a simple solution. Maybe I'm wrong and there's some reason for the absence of these features.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions or even share my frustrations and desires? Demerly? Can you hook us up?

T

"The mind can calculate, but the spirit yearns, and the heart knows what the heart knows."
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman, Demerly or anyone with shoe mfr contacts . . . [SouthernTim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're giving me way more credit for having influence than is real. I can bearely get the bikes I have sold- even when I pay early, let alone try to sway a company's product design. I am with you though, I replace running shoes frequently. I like my new Pearl Izumis but haven't had them long enough to give you feedback on the wear. I wish I could do more. Now Dan, on other hand, HE'S connected... Saucony owes him a lot of favors...

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman, Demerly or anyone with shoe mfr contacts . . . [SouthernTim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Without trying to put you in a shoe without ever seeing you...

You may want to look at the Saucony Grid Shadow 7. It has a carbon rubber outsole and HRC cushioning in the forefoot. It is a very durable cushioned trainer for a neutral runner. The Shadow also uses polyurethane in the heel in place of EVA which offers a unique ride. Probably less of an issue for you based on your foot strike.

I think part of your problem may also be the advent of "flex-grooves" in the forefoot of shoes. These flex-grooves in the outsole make the ride much better (not as stiff) but can lead to the outsole peeling up under heavy wear. The other option is to look for a shoe with fewer flex-grooves and see if you still like the ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if sole durability is your issue, you may want to look at the Nike Pegasus trail version. Practically indestructable sole. I have found over the years though, my shoes are always replaced well before sole wear becomes an issue. The midsoles are breaking down and losing their ability to absorb shock a lot sooner than they used to. I am replacing shoes about every 6 weeks. I've tried a lot of models from Nike, Saucony and Asics, all different price points and they all wear about the same for me, whether they are a $70 shoe or a $120 shoe. I keep coming back to the regular Nike Pegasus.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Thanks guys . . . [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 . . . for the suggestions. I'll check into those shoes when I'm up for my next pair, or maybe try to get as light as Kannouchi. Of course then I'd be getting free shoes and wouldn't have to worry about it.

Cheers..T

"The mind can calculate, but the spirit yearns, and the heart knows what the heart knows."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Several Nike models have full-length carbon outsoles. I'm using the Air-Pegasus now, and i seems to be doing well (under my 200 lbs, but limited mileage). As for compression problems, look for full length urethane midsoles (haven't seen many of these since the Nike Vortex in the mid 80's) or full length Nike-air (or gel, as the case is with Asics). I used to be pretty up on the entore market, but I've lost contact over the last several years.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply