Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Slow roads
Quote | Reply
Racing this past weekend there was a short section of tarmac that was buttery smooth, but alas it was short and soon I was back on the usual Texas bumpy stuff & going noticeably slower. This got me wondering how much the road was impacting my times vs aerodynamics.

Running the numbers in best bike split my predicted times for average, poor and rough road were 2:18:57, 2:22:33 & 2:26:21 respectively. My actual split being 2:27:03.

Using the aero analyser all the CdA points were scattered for average, pretty close with poor & somewhat close for rough, with CdA’s of 0.25, 0.226 & 0.217.

So, it looks like the road surface is having a pretty significant impact. Question is is there anything I can do to minimize it, given that slow road is somewhat expected?

I’m running 25mm GPTTs with latex at 85/80 PSI (176lb) & considering experimenting with lower pressures but with some concern around pinch flats.
Quote Reply
Re: Slow roads [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, 80/85 seems overly conservative, enve suggests 67psi but that is tubeless:

https://enve.com/products/ses-7-8/

Anyone running latex tubes drop 10psi & started getting a bunch of pinch flats? Or is it really something that can be ignored assuming there’s a reasonable amount of pressure?
Quote Reply
Re: Slow roads [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a less analytical level I would suggest not. Obviously it is best not to run super high pressures. It is the same for everyone though and a bit of a bugger if you are looking for a super fast pb.
Quote Reply
Re: Slow roads [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If If it's suspension effects, try to eliminate it with lower pressure. If you need to drop the pressure so much that pinches start happening or the tires just feel squirmy or whatever, then switch to fatter tires.
Quote Reply