Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Slicks for 29er paved hill climb (and descent)?
Quote | Reply
How much benefit would I get from switching out my knobby 29er tires on my MTB for some slicks for a hill climb for which my road bike just doesn't have enough gears? I'm not ready to go to a compact chainring on my one road bike down here.

First, I'm looking for some added speed on the climb by going to slicks, and probably something narrower than my 2.1 knobby's.

From the edge of the Andes Mountains, I do this climb (and descent) at least once a week. We have big races up it two or three times a year. (The Tour of Colombia had a stage last week with an uphill finish for only about 1/6 of the climb so that it could finish still within the city.) With the rest of the climb, the well paved route is the equivalent of 5 miles with 2,500 feet of elevation change.

Second, I'm looking for some added security on the curves of the descent. Descending at 50+ mph on the knobby's and leaning into the curves on the MTB makes me very nervous. Would slicks be significantly better?

The Maxxis Re-Fuse 700 x 40 has caught my attention. Any other suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Slicks for 29er paved hill climb (and descent)? [markvoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Continental GP5000.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smaller chainring won't get you much more ratio, but a big cassette is easy to install (use a rear extender like a wolftooth link if necessary).

Slicks will help considerably, but I don't know how I feel about bombing downhill on my MTB at speed compared to my road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Panaracer Gravel King, not the SK, but the regular one. A little bit of texture on them but a fast rolling tire. 32-38 mm, although I think the larger ones are really 40mm mounted up. They'll be way faster than knobbies and better on the descent. I have used them for a triathlon that had significant gravel sections. As for road descending on a MTB, I think it depends on the bike. A good XC bike should be ok, especially if you can lock out the fork.
Last edited by: offpiste.reese: Feb 21, 19 14:02
Quote Reply
Re: Slicks for 29er paved hill climb (and descent)? [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
offpiste.reese wrote:
Panaracer Gravel King, not the SK, but the regular one. A little bit of texture on them but a fast rolling tire. 32-38 mm, although I think the larger ones are really 40mm mounted up. They'll be way faster than knobbies and better on the descent. I have used them for a triathlon that had significant gravel sections. As for road descending on a MTB, I think it depends on the bike. A good XC bike should be ok, especially if you can lock out the fork.

A triathlon with "significant gravel sections"? Tell me more.

I have the GK's in 38C. Great tire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
markvoss wrote:
How much benefit would I get from switching out my knobby 29er tires on my MTB for some slicks for a hill climb for which my road bike just doesn't have enough gears? I'm not ready to go to a compact chainring on my one road bike down here.

First, I'm looking for some added speed on the climb by going to slicks, and probably something narrower than my 2.1 knobby's.

From the edge of the Andes Mountains, I do this climb (and descent) at least once a week. We have big races up it two or three times a year. (The Tour of Colombia had a stage last week with an uphill finish for only about 1/6 of the climb so that it could finish still within the city.) With the rest of the climb, the well paved route is the equivalent of 5 miles with 2,500 feet of elevation change.

Second, I'm looking for some added security on the curves of the descent. Descending at 50+ mph on the knobby's and leaning into the curves on the MTB makes me very nervous. Would slicks be significantly better?

The Maxxis Re-Fuse 700 x 40 has caught my attention. Any other suggestions?
Maxxis Re-Fuse is a very beefy tire. If you're looking for lively and quick, I'd go for something like a Rene Herse Snoqualmie Pass or a Soma Supple Vitesse.
Quote Reply
Re: Slicks for 29er paved hill climb (and descent)? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was called the Chilli Challenge. Bike/Kayak/Run. It had been around a long time, I did it in 2008 and 2017, but I believe it had been around since at least 2001. One long flat gravel section, I think about 2 miles, it was pretty tame, hardpack dirt road. Then a longer section of about 2.5 miles with chunky gravel and a big climb. https://www.strava.com/...60803?filter=overall . The rest of the course was country roads, some pretty beat up pavement. First time I did it on my cross bike with road tires, second time I used my "gravel" bike, which is a hard tail mountain bike with a rigid fork and Jones H bars. That time I used the 27.5/1.5 Pari Moto, which is essentially the same as the Gravel Kings. They worked well on the gravel sections and were still pretty fast on the road. It was a really fun race, the lake was pretty and the run was cross country around the lake. Nothing gnarly, but all trail. I think it's gone for good, it missed a couple of years here and there, but last year there was no mention of it and I haven't seen anything about it for this year.
Last edited by: offpiste.reese: Feb 21, 19 14:23
Quote Reply
Re: Slicks for 29er paved hill climb (and descent)? [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll pile on that Panracer is a very nice tire, I've been riding the 650b version on my go almost anywhere wheels and I really like it. Mounts up tubeless easy enough also.

Whichever tire you choose I'd do some practicing taking turns and descending on tires like that. It is little bit different feel compared to say going downhill with knobbies on dirt or true road tires on pavement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Schwalbe G-One Speed in 2.0 or perhaps 38mm. I actually started using the Speed in 2.0 as my regular mtb/gravel tire on the back. I have never lacked for traction, even on dirt, and as long as you know it will start sliding immediately, it does not really bother me from a control standpoint. With that on the back I can connect sections of trail with pavement without feeling like I am glued to the road surface by big, buzzing tires.
I used the Speed 2.0 as a front tire on my gravel bike and it was great (talk about smoothing the dirt roads at 25psi) most of the time, but it can't climb out of ruts or hold any sort of turn in dirt so you have to be overly carefull when descending.
If I was not worried about road surface, then I would try the new 32mm GP5000.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you! I bought the Panaracer Gravel Kings. They are listed as 700 x 38 and Tubeless Ready. However, I run them with tubes pumped between 60 and 65 PSA. They are great, they stick to the asphalt, and I do BOMB DOWN the mountain descents--just not quite as fast as I would on a road bike due to the higher center of gravity from the MTB geometry.
Quote Reply