Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sleeveless Swimskin vs. Shortsleeve Swimskin
Quote | Reply
Full disclosure. I recently bought a Roka Viper Elite sleeveless swimskin. It fits great. I was planning on just wearing my sleeved trisuit under it with the sleeves exposed.

I’m now wondering if I should exchange it for a sleeved suit or if rolling the short sleeve trisuit under the sleeveless swimskin is the way to go? I noticed Lucy Charles set the Kona swim record in a sleeveless Roka with her short sleeve trisuit arms outside the swimskin. Jan Sibberson set the Kona swim record with a sleeveless swimskin with no trisuit sleeves exposed.

Is it worth it or even practical to exchange the unworn sleeveless swimskin for a short sleeve swimskin?
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeveless Swimskin vs. Shortsleeve Swimskin [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just went through the same mental process and ended up getting the shortsleeve Roka

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The difference probably is the equivalent to about two slightly harder pedal strokes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only realistic way to know is to practice both ways and make note of how the swim feels and the times.

Have a practice swim with your sleeved trisuit rolled down inside your swimskin and see if it is easy or hard to get that wet sleeved trisuit on as you run through transition. Depending on the fit of your trisuit this maybe harder than you think and the time spent getting the sleeves smoothed out etc (because a smooth suit is a fast suit) maybe more than the time saved in the swim.

Length of race may also factor into you decision.
Sprints I wear sleeved trisuit fully on under sleeveless swimskin
Oly/70.3/Full - I wear sleeved trisuit rolled down under sleeveless swimskin
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeveless Swimskin vs. Shortsleeve Swimskin [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the sleeveless swimskin for $120. It would cost me an additional $205 to exchange for a short sleeve swim skin. If the difference equates to 1 second per 100 yards, then I’m not sure the value is there to exchange. Over 70.3
distance it would be about 21 seconds.

Poon wrote:
The difference probably is the equivalent to about two slightly harder pedal strokes
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeveless Swimskin vs. Shortsleeve Swimskin [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does the shortsleeved Roka feel in the shoulders? Do you find it restricting at all?

I just got in a Kiwami Aquarush with sleeves. The suit fits really well but the sleeves do feel like they might induce shoulder fatigue in the water. I haven't tried it yet, but am wondering if the shoulder tightness I feel might go away once in the water, or after a few swims.

Before I decide whether to keep it or return it I would love to hear your experience with the Roka sleeved swimskin.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeveless Swimskin vs. Shortsleeve Swimskin [a_harleyyy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought the sleeveless and used it over a sleeved Castelli trisuit with tight sleeves. It felt great. I talked to a few ladies that had the sleeved Roka and they said they liked it. Obviously, it can't be any worse than a wetsuit. The cost difference between a sleeved versus a sleeveless cannot be justified. It's really a marketing tactic for marginal gains in my opinion.

a_harleyyy wrote:
How does the shortsleeved Roka feel in the shoulders? Do you find it restricting at all?

I just got in a Kiwami Aquarush with sleeves. The suit fits really well but the sleeves do feel like they might induce shoulder fatigue in the water. I haven't tried it yet, but am wondering if the shoulder tightness I feel might go away once in the water, or after a few swims.

Before I decide whether to keep it or return it I would love to hear your experience with the Roka sleeved swimskin.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeveless Swimskin vs. Shortsleeve Swimskin [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe. But, those things aren't mutually exclusive. You can buy the sleeved swimskin and pedal hard.

Having said that, OP seems to have the info he needs to make a decision, he just needs to decide whether the nominal time savings is worth an extra $205.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeveless Swimskin vs. Shortsleeve Swimskin [a_harleyyy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a_harleyyy wrote:

I bought a sleeved one and felt the same. Swam one race in it and it just seemed super tight on my shoulders, way moreso than a wetsuit. After seeing Lucy Charles swim in the sleeveless with her tri-kit exposed, it validated my concerns and I sold the sleeved one and bought sleeveless.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeveless Swimskin vs. Shortsleeve Swimskin [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that feedback. Thats exactly the kind of experience I was wanting to hear. I have a few weeks left in my window of deciding to return or keep it. Unless someone chimes in that their sleeved version really loosened up in the water I will likely follow your lead and exchange it for a sleeveless.
Quote Reply