Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sleeved suit under wetsuit
Quote | Reply
So,
Watching Oceanside, it appears that most pros are leaving their sleeved suits down around their waist during the swim. I'd like to give that a go, but need a little help on how best to go about that. Might explain why I was 1 minute slower at my last IM swim. You Tube has no help.
Thoughts?

Thanks,

Rick

Only those who risk going too far can find out how far they can go...
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved suit under wetsuit [strtezbckoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Practice. I have mine under my suit off my shoulders then once I get the top of my wetsuit down I start putting my suit on one arm at a time then by the time I get to t1 it’s on! I’ve practiced in the shower, running around my back yard and house. Anywhere to make myself comfortable getting the suit up on the move.

My Blog - Twitter - Instagram - JonnyO Coaching - ICE Friction - SLF Motion - Greater Than Sports Drink - Xterra Wetsuits
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved suit under wetsuit [strtezbckoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
strtezbckoff wrote:
So,
Watching Oceanside, it appears that most pros are leaving their sleeved suits down around their waist during the swim. I'd like to give that a go, but need a little help on how best to go about that. Might explain why I was 1 minute slower at my last IM swim. You Tube has no help.
Thoughts?

Thanks,

Rick

Why are they doing this? For greater flexibility in the shoulders?
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved suit under wetsuit [strtezbckoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are probably all running super tight suits for more aero that may be restrictive. Do you feel restricted by your tri suit? If not I wouldn't bother.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved suit under wetsuit [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't feel restricted at all. But I do have a very weak left shoulder, so maybe no fighting the fabric would help.
I'll try some practice.

Only those who risk going too far can find out how far they can go...
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved suit under wetsuit [strtezbckoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
strtezbckoff wrote:
I don't feel restricted at all. But I do have a very weak left shoulder, so maybe no fighting the fabric would help.
I'll try some practice.

Why is it weak? Injury? Have you tried rock tape?
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved suit under wetsuit [strtezbckoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I roll it down as it’s in my head that I swim slower with it up. Mainly I feel that the suit grabs the suit, whereas my skin slides if that makes sense. I also don’t want to stretch the suit out, if that’s a thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved suit under wetsuit [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you not concerned with stretching it out by doing that a lot? I’m always concerned with it losing its “aeroness” with all of the on and off.

Also, you are crazy running around with it on 😉. Only on ST.



https://twitter.com/mungub
http://benmunguia.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved suit under wetsuit [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I broke my clavicle in T1 a few years back. My Roka Maverick X still allows me to post decent enough swim times, but I'm always looking to use less fitness during the swim.
I do not use Rock tape on my shoulder. I do use some on a recurring Achilles tendonosis.
This sport ain't for pansies!

Rick

Only those who risk going too far can find out how far they can go...
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved suit under wetsuit [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
I roll it down as it’s in my head that I swim slower with it up. Mainly I feel that the suit grabs the suit, whereas my skin slides if that makes sense. I also don’t want to stretch the suit out, if that’s a thing.

I did a pool triathlon last year and we were allowed to swim with no top, so I put mine on in T1, it was impossible to get on when wet, I had to get a volunteer to help, I would have been DQed at a big event for this. How hard is it to get your sleeved suit on with wet skin?
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved suit under wetsuit [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only race like 6-7 times a year so not too worried. Used a suit for two seasons and was still pretty tight fitting. But I can’t swim with my suit up at all so I have no other choice!

My Blog - Twitter - Instagram - JonnyO Coaching - ICE Friction - SLF Motion - Greater Than Sports Drink - Xterra Wetsuits
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved suit under wetsuit [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:
I roll it down as it’s in my head that I swim slower with it up. Mainly I feel that the suit grabs the suit, whereas my skin slides if that makes sense. I also don’t want to stretch the suit out, if that’s a thing.


I did a pool triathlon last year and we were allowed to swim with no top, so I put mine on in T1, it was impossible to get on when wet, I had to get a volunteer to help, I would have been DQed at a big event for this. How hard is it to get your sleeved suit on with wet skin?

I've never had an issue; I have used various suits and currently a LGneer or whatever they call it. The easiest way is, get the wet suit/swim skin half off. Then get both hands in their respective sleeves first, then it's just a shoulder roll type movement and it's up and on. I too feel it's better to swim with it down after having tried it up under a wetsuit during one race.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved suit under wetsuit [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:
I roll it down as it’s in my head that I swim slower with it up. Mainly I feel that the suit grabs the suit, whereas my skin slides if that makes sense. I also don’t want to stretch the suit out, if that’s a thing.


I did a pool triathlon last year and we were allowed to swim with no top, so I put mine on in T1, it was impossible to get on when wet, I had to get a volunteer to help, I would have been DQed at a big event for this. How hard is it to get your sleeved suit on with wet skin?

I've had the same experience. lost me a minute in T1 trying to get my arms through the wet sleeves. Next time I will have my arms already through the sleeves but will leave it unzipped.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved suit under wetsuit [strtezbckoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel less restricted with it down under the wetsuit. Have to be careful with the wetsuit strippers though!
Quote Reply