Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sleeved or sleeveless tri top for heat
Quote | Reply
For IM in heat is a sleeveless tri top better than sleeved or no difference? last few HIMs I’ve done sleeved but heat has not been awful. Also, wondering about color choice. Most of mine are dark but that’s pretty common in triathlon. Would going a lighter color make much difference in the heat?
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved or sleeveless tri top for heat [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fort the colour question, I was looking at this a few months ago.
(As we were arguing about this and the colourways for our club kit).

I found some test info online which certainly showed light/ white was cooler (in terms of absorbing less IR and UV and so not being so hot at the surface and by quite a good few degrees C.
What I defo remembered is that it showed that even a 'plain material' in white was still notably cooler on the surface than the best of dark/black with the 'cold black' treatments.

What I don't know is any data on how it actually translates to core body temp.

I've purposely gone away from club kit because I feel its hotter (its dominantly black) on sunny days.

I went sleeved because of wanting some cover on my pale shoulders so to avoud sunburn.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved or sleeveless tri top for heat [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. My team kit is black. It’s nice but I don’t know about it in the heat for a full ironman. I’m seriously considering the White Desoto short sleep tri top.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
Yeah. My team kit is black. It’s nice but I don’t know about it in the heat for a full ironman. I’m seriously considering the White Desoto short sleep tri top.

don't wear black.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had raced in sleeveless up until this year but went sleeved to keep sun off my shoulders. I haven’t noticed it being any warmer.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For an IM sleeved all the way for sun protection. The newer tri suits with a more mesh like material in them seem that little bit better to me more so than the color.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved or sleeveless tri top for heat [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered a Kiwami top and Desoto top. Both white. I’ll just decide which one fits best and go with it. They look to be that mesh like material. Better than my black kit and older 2xu which I don’t believe are quite as breathable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a light-colored sleeved one-piece tri suit. I have raced it many times in ~90° F heat and high humidity. IME, I would always race in sleeved, especially under the hot sun. Sleeves on my shoulders and arms never made me feel hot. That is head and core. But, sleeves on my shoulders and arms keeps sun off and I just feel more comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sleeved period.

Heat evaporation depends on a few thing but your upper arms are not the place that happens the most so sleeves will not hamper the cooling effect......assuming you get a tri-suit and not a TT suit used by road cyclist. Most Tri-suits come with cool-back tech and that really negates the color problem. I rather wear a black suit with cool-back than a white one without. Also if the suit is made of the right materials the sleeves act like arm coolers, just keep the sleeves wet which is not too hard to do during the run.....not to mention sleeved suits are faster on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved or sleeveless tri top for heat [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For now I ordered these two. I have Desoto tri shorts. I’ve never worn a tri suit but may go to that next season just don’t want to do that right before a race. Not concern about switching top before race but bottoms would concern me more.

https://www.kiwamitri.com/...air-top-p/spid2t.htm

https://www.desotosport.com/...-zip-tri-top-sleeved
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
For now I ordered these two. I have Desoto tri shorts. I’ve never worn a tri suit but may go to that next season just don’t want to do that right before a race. Not concern about switching top before race but bottoms would concern me more.

https://www.kiwamitri.com/...air-top-p/spid2t.htm

https://www.desotosport.com/...-zip-tri-top-sleeved

I would wear the Kiwamitri….it has more sleeve coverage and its probably faster. Are you doing IMCH?
Last edited by: Scottxs: Sep 23, 19 6:27
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved or sleeveless tri top for heat [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
I found some test info online which certainly showed light/ white was cooler (in terms of absorbing less IR and UV and so not being so hot at the surface and by quite a good few degrees C.

I'm always really surprised at the number of tri-kits that are black. Pros even racing in black.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. Ironman Chattanooga. I did it in 2017. It was warm but manageable. This year seems hotter for sure so I’m thinking about my kit and nutrition strategies more. It’s really making sure I hydrate on the bike properly. I’ve trained in the heat but A full IM in the heat is something different. I think in 2017 it was like 87 degrees. This year looks like it will be along the lines of 2016
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be there too. I live in the south so its always hot and humid. I'm not too worried about the bike but the run in the heat is a totally different animal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
I will be there too. I live in the south so its always hot and humid. I'm not too worried about the bike but the run in the heat is a totally different animal.

Yep. The bike is less of a concern but hydrating well on the bike to set myself up for the run a focus as always. The run in the heat at chattanooga is a worry. There is definitely a lot of that run that has little shade. And it depends on the humidity as well. I had a day a couple weeks ago with am 12 mile run and pm 12 mile run. The am run was like 75 degrees but 83% humidity. The pm run was 95 degrees but 28% humidity. Honestly the pm run felt more comfortable. But the lack of shade on the chattanooga run is a big issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right now humidity forecast is 53%....that sucks but its better than where I live normally. The dew point is concerning...its 68F. At that level your sweat will not evaporate well and will adversely effect everyone. Pray for a lower dew point and some cloud cover. Your feet will be squishy in a few miles with that dewpoint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lived in Tampa for many years and still live in the south so it’s definitely something I’ve trained in. Doesn’t make it much less unpleasant though. The cloud cover would be huge. Its bad enough when it’s hot and humid but if the sun is out and there is no shade it’s brutal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've been using a zoot tri suit with the cooling material, sleeved, and also skin cooler sleeves. pour water on yourself at each aid station...works like a charm! good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeved or sleeveless tri top for heat [charlietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I’ve never used cooling sleeves in humid weather. I’ve read mixed reviews
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i used them in kona last year. i had trained for the heat, still, that heat is like no other:) i was very comfortable all day!
Quote Reply