Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sleeping Pills
Quote | Reply
Most people suffer from pre-race anxiety and struggle to sleep the night before a race. Has anyone tried sleeping aids(pills) to help them fall asleep the night before? The only thing I can think of is DIMENHYDRINATE seems to dehydrate a little bit.

Has anybody tried it?

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeping Pills [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I take melatonin. Obviously don't test this out the night before a race, but I feel like it helps me fall asleep and I've never noticed anything odd in the mornings.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never tried that one. I have used Diphenhydramine to sleep before races. I’ve found it takes about 8 hours for nearly all the effects to wear off and 10 hours for no residual effects. I chew up two Benadryls about half an hour before I want to be asleep.

It Does dehydrate some but I am usually over hydrated before a long race.

Definitely try it before race night. I have noticed some of my morning workouts suffer if I take it too late.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had really good luck w/ CBD (full-spectrum stuff though) fwiw. Occasionally get a little groggy/very mild hangover like symptoms that dissipate after a few minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeping Pills [Tim_Canterbury] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's my luck getting CBD through the airport though? I take CBD at home in Colorado, but for race day in Texas it might be hard to transport.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take a couple hammer nutrition REM caps . . . basically melatonin.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I'd worry more about my sleep in the days leading up to the race and not worry so much about sleep the night before the race. I also don't think it's wise to use a medication for something other then what it was intended for. I know that they market Benadryl etc as a sleep aid, but that isn't what it was intended to be used for.

I work extreme swing shifts. Lunesta works great for me. Its half life is a lot shorter then antihistamines half life....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've taken ambien and NyQuil capsules on different occasions and they both help. I don't think I have gone a night before racing without a sleep aid in 10 years. Maybe throw a beer or three on top of that.

Race day nerves and excitement is always enough to counter any of the groggy feelings I would otherwise have when I get up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aerobean wrote:
What's my luck getting CBD through the airport though? I take CBD at home in Colorado, but for race day in Texas it might be hard to transport.

to my (limited) knowledge and after a cursory (albeit very limited) google search you "should" be fine w/ the stuff that isn't full spectrum - as in the Hemp stuff you can buy on Amazon.

that said, i do know that not everyone is as affected by it as I am. I value the hell out of my sleep (seems to get worse w/ age) and have trouble before race day as well as after hard workouts/races (say tss >= 250). Good luck!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I'd worry more about my sleep in the days leading up to the race and not worry so much about sleep the night before the race.

THIS^^^^^^

Honestly, the night before really does not matter much, in fact, if you dont sleep too much I have found that the body is more ready to race, not sluggish after a hard sleep.. I can recall a lot of my best races happening after a restless night before. It is that 2nd night before that you have to nail...And keeping those sleep drugs out the night before is probably a good thing too..
Quote Reply
Re: Sleeping Pills [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justinhorne wrote:
I take melatonin. Obviously don't test this out the night before a race, but I feel like it helps me fall asleep and I've never noticed anything odd in the mornings.

Melatonin has a very unique side effect in some people. Very vivid and weird dreams. I worked in a sleep lab for years and have seen this with many of my patients also. That is why I stopped taking it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Somewhere on ST I typed out a primer on sleep meds. Could be worth searching for if you have questions about sleep drugs. Doesn't cover anything that came out in the last 4 or so years though, but otherwise is full of info.

I spent 6+ years immersed in the world of sleep/sleep drugs but sadly not sleeping haha

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply