Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Skratch or SIS?
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried both skratch and science in sport (SIS)?

I’ve been using skratch but it’s consistently given me burps and heartburn, so, obviously not a good thing while trying to run or ride.

I bought some SIS tablets because I figured I’d give it a try, but I haven’t seen much online saying it compares as afar as effectiveness on replenishing energy.

I have the st George 70.3 next week and I’m debating trying this stuff or just sticking with skratch. (I can live with the burps, it’s not a huge deal...)

Whose tried both skratch and sis or even just sis? Pros, cons maybe?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Skratch or SIS? [Landonl3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You do realize that Skratch is a hydration drink, not much on the energy side, correct? Only 80 calories, but electrolyte heavy. If you're looking for caloric or "energy" products, that's not the one without adding something.
Quote Reply
Re: Skratch or SIS? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, that’s what I meant. Hydration, not energy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be a bit hesitant to make that switch this close to a race. I'd stick with the Skratch, and see how it goes. Given it's April, it's likely that this isn't your A race....so trial and error.

Pat Dwyer
@pdwyer99
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm biased, but may want to consider giving Precision Hydration a try, especially if you are heavy/salty sweater. http://www.precisionhydration.com . We have distribution in the US so it would make to you within a few days. As others have mentioned, I wouldn't personally make a switch this close to the race.

**Disclosure: I am sponsored by & work for PH**

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Landonl3 wrote:
Has anyone tried both skratch and science in sport (SIS)?

I’ve been using skratch but it’s consistently given me burps and heartburn, so, obviously not a good thing while trying to run or ride.

I bought some SIS tablets because I figured I’d give it a try, but I haven’t seen much online saying it compares as afar as effectiveness on replenishing energy.

I have the st George 70.3 next week and I’m debating trying this stuff or just sticking with skratch. (I can live with the burps, it’s not a huge deal...)

Whose tried both skratch and sis or even just sis? Pros, cons maybe?

Thanks!

I use SiS but only during the run. It's too hard to open and because it's so isotonic (read: watery) it's a mess trying to use on the bike. However, those bad things because great when running. IT goes down quick/easy and I don't have to try and time my run around aid station water.

The SiS stuff is like 70 calories though so short of the ~100 calories of a gel pack. So plan your caloric needs accordingly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I may be the outlier here as if it's hydration only and not calories, I would be tempted to switch. From as simple as carrying salt tablets, to a drink, it's fairly simple as long as you are getting fuel from another source. I've not heard of Skratch causing those issues, so maybe reach out to them? I do have a team deal with Precision Hydration (see Brad's comments), but have yet to receive any or try it. There are a few other products that are electrolyte only that could be used.....Nuun, Osmo, and perhaps some others. I would simplify for this race and take water and salt (electrolyte) tablets and post race evaluate and try some of the previously mentioned products.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have tried both (in fact used them both in training recently). I much prefer Skratch. I think it tastes better , I find SiS to be a bit grainy (I used the Isotonic Gels not hydration). The lemon and lime hydration is my favorite and I have tried the orange which is also really good. They have just the right amount of sweet or sour (or sweet and sour) without being overwhelming. The fact that its all natural seems to sit well with my sensitive stomach. I hope that helps and I hope you have a great race!!

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a bunch of SIS gels and "Go Hydro" drink tablets last year through various promotions - it all tastes pretty awful and consitently gives me stomach issues. The Gels are definitly more convenient on the run than Gu, since they are pretty watery.

I've used Skratch for years now (Pineapple, Passion Fruit, Matcha), IMO Skratch tastes way better, more subtle and natural tasting. I've also never had any stomach issues with Skratch, even when I make it pretty dense (4-scoops in 24oz).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone. I tried the sis this morning and it will be a no go for sure. Didn’t like the taste. I’ll stick with skratch but will consider the different options shared in the future. I appreciate it guys!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may want to consider first endurance. They have some really light flavors that are easy on the stomach but still give you the hydration that you need.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
man, i tried Scratch last season. I have a high sweat rate so i always use BASE salts and with Camelbak elixir. They quit making elixir so i bought lemon lime scratch. The results.... Cramp city. It did not work for me. SIS i have no clue. I have started to use Hammer Endurolyte Fizz, and GU tablets. They have worked for me nicely! i hope this helps

Embrace the suck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scratch works decently for me. GU rocktane is even better to get extra calories down.

Got SIS coke/cola flavor since it had like 75mg of caffeine and it tastes like ass
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have tried both and ended up with SIS. I really like the SIS products.

I had trouble getting the concentration right for my taste with Skratch, so I switched to Nuun. The Nuun discontinued my favorite flavor so I switched to SIS. The SIS hydration flavors are great and I really like the tablet form for the hydration.

I also use the SIS Rego Recovery powder which is really fantastic. I am not a huge fan of the SIS gels, but the new Salted Strawberry flavor may change my mind.

The SIS bars are a nice change when you are sick of gels.

I would not make a change this close to a race, but I would definitely try SIS after St George.

Good luck at the race next week!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neither for me. I was a Skratch man for a few years. It was okay, just not great, and didn't quite know where the imbalance was (energy, absorption or electrolytes). I am on Tailwind these days. Happiness! I have no idea what the difference is but for me it seems like an all-in-one solution.

Disclaimer: heavy, salty sweater. I'm sweating just thinking of sweating, in fact.

DM
Quote Reply
Re: Skratch or SIS? [djmercer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto for me. Heavy sweater. Skratch for a while but 100% Tailwind now. Grean Tea flavored. Calories, hydration and electrolytes. 100 calories per scoop so easy to 'dose'. Tastes great, too.
Quote Reply
Re: Skratch or SIS? [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everybody is different. For ME...SIS gels are the worst tasting gel ever. The texture is nasty, too. I am looking for a 'looser' gel (PowerGel was about right, RIP), and SIS qualifies there, but..I..just..can't (shaking head). The SIS recovery powder tastes pretty good (strawberry), but dissolving the powder is a pain and - for all the 'science' - they have this wacky scoop that does not fit in the container AND the cap has about 1/8 of a turn from loose to tight, making me think that it's not sealed (or, if I drop it, I'll be covered in a strawberry recovery dust cloud). I'm just saying no to SIS stuff. Skratch? I like it OK, but the flavors are super muted. Good for long events/real endurance, but I just prefer something with more flavor. Skratch works great, though - no stomach upset (for ME)...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SiS is some of the worst products I've ever tried. They're all marketing, with that USAT sponsorship where you can get "free" gels every quarter. Skratch has supposedly gotten a lot better, but I haven't had anything in a few years. Honestly, I with there was a Gatorade Endurance-Zero.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used both Skratch and SIS. I do like the SIS and the ability to take a gel without water.

Skratch is absolutely nutrition. Mix it as strong as you want. 5 servings in a concentrate bottle is a good amount of calories.

My personal favorite. It Endurelite. And I have pretty much tried them all. Read the label. Read about the owner. It is legit stuff. He sponsors our team but at 41 years old and a very big volume and highly competitive guy I use what I feel is the best.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A very personal question. I like sis hydro tablets an electrolyt powder drink.
1 make sure you like the flavour
2 that you can stomache it.
3 it fulfill your needs.

Thats about it

Mvg mark
Quote Reply