Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Skin problems after pool swimming [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Baby oil. Pat dry, leave a bit of moisture on skin, put on baby oil. Really helps me.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Skin problems after pool swimming [FishOutofWater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a good clarification/distinction. What I use is technically soap-free and instead is a mild cleanser made with surfactants.
Quote Reply
Re: Skin problems after pool swimming [FishOutofWater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course, there's always a possibility - however slight - that the shower water is what's bothering you, and not the chlorinated pool water

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Skin problems after pool swimming [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:
You can try to spray yourself with vitamin c diluted in water after the swim before you shower.
The vitamin c breaks down the chlorine. Its very cheap and easy to make the solution, google it

^^^^This.

Spray it on and rub it in for a sec (mostly to get coverage) before you shower. Moisturize post-shower (Trader Joes has reasonably-priced Shea Butter creme...you can also use Lubraderm/Curel/Cerave/etc. of you want something not as heavy).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I buy "handmade soap" from http://petuniafarms.com/

Made from quality ingredients, good for your skin. "Olive oil is our main ingredient,along with Shea butter,Cocoa Butter,Babassu,Avocado,Jojoba & Argan Oil"

Helps keeps my skin healthier than it was... I also like to get in a good workout on my swim days out of the water. I can smell pool chemicals sweating out some times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swam with eczema throughout the time I was competing (and it was the reason I quit for rowing when I went to uni, was just fed up of the itching due to the really high level chlorine pools around me). What I found out to work best was to apply a moisturiser (I used Diprobase), about an hour before I went swimming, everywhere except around the eyes. Once I had finished I immediately showered, using a soap substitute, patted rather than rubbed dry and put another layer of cream on. The faster I showered, dried and applied that second layer, the better the skin felt.

Worth noting that it might well be worth having a sacrificial long sleeve top for after you have swum if doing stuff like that as the moisturiser soaks in. Especially important if using creams like diprobase as it is parafin based and if you for some reason stand near an open flame with clothing that has absorbed some you risk becoming the Human Torch.
Last edited by: Denning76: May 15, 19 9:10
Quote Reply
Re: Skin problems after pool swimming [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
This is my routine.

1. After swimming soap up my bathing suit and spend 5 min in the shower scrubbing down every part of my body literally "sanding it down"
  2. After shower, full body lotion and face cream
  3. If I have time before the shower, 5 min sauna to sweat out the chlorine
  4. If I have time after the shower, 5-10 min jog on gym treadmill to further squeeze out residual chlorine

Last year, I had a mega swim year.....100K per month, all year, so ~25-35 sessions per month...no problems (I think I did 350 sessions in the pool last year0. The key is to get the chlorine out

I'm curious what you were training for at that volume? Sounds like you had a lot of double swim days?
Quote Reply
Re: Skin problems after pool swimming [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
This is my routine.

1. After swimming soap up my bathing suit and spend 5 min in the shower scrubbing down every part of my body literally "sanding it down"
  2. After shower, full body lotion and face cream
  3. If I have time before the shower, 5 min sauna to sweat out the chlorine
  4. If I have time after the shower, 5-10 min jog on gym treadmill to further squeeze out residual chlorine

Last year, I had a mega swim year.....100K per month, all year, so ~25-35 sessions per month...no problems (I think I did 350 sessions in the pool last year0. The key is to get the chlorine out

I posted previously on this thread about not quite getting rid of the itching, I believe it’s not letting the chlorine in. I found some academic research on ‘barrier creams’ and it seems the most effective only contain: beeswax, steric acid, mineral oil, glycerin, possibly lanolin or petroleum jelly. So I made my own, added some coconut oil and Shea butter, and so far have no itching. Takes me 10 darn minutes to put it on, and feels like I’m ready for an English Channel swim, but anything is better than the itching.
Quote Reply

Prev Next