Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sitting on ism pn 3.1 saddle
Quote | Reply
I used to have a cobb jof 55 which my understanding was the male anatomy will sit just off the front. Is the intent with the ism saddles the same? Pictures on their website don’t seem to imply that.
Last edited by: mickison: Sep 15, 19 17:49
Quote Reply
Re: Sitting on ism pn 3.1 saddle [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, like you i am new to the saddles, and had no real instruction... aside from what my man-parts told me.

On the base-bars, it is like any normal saddle, just with the nose cut off. On the aerobars: junk out front.

If others in the know, know better, i am all ears.
Last edited by: Rocket_racing: Sep 15, 19 18:05
Quote Reply
Re: Sitting on ism pn 3.1 saddle [Rocket_racing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocket_racing wrote:
Hey, like you i am new to the saddles, and had no real instruction... aside from what my man-parts told me.

On the base-bars, it is like any normal saddle, just with the nose cut off. On the aerobars: junk out front.

If others in the know, know better, i am all ears.

This.

I’m still in the hunt for just the right saddle. Ive been using the 3.1 a lot this training block and i just cant seem to find the right spot to sit. It’s supposedly the most narrow offering they have and i still get the dreaded ism chafing some of us get. I’m just about ready to use the hose clamp method and try and manually pull the nose in just a touch.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Sitting on ism pn 3.1 saddle [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still new to mine, but no complaints yet. But then i am pretty low and aggressive on my road bike (with naked carbon saddle - super comfy) so this was not a huge change for me.

The only time i find mine uncomfortable is when i “doddle” in the aero position. The saddle is more uncomfortable... presumably because at race pace+ more of my weight is being supported through the pedals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve had the pn 3.1 for a few months and haven’t quite gotten dialed in to it. Last couple of Kong’s rides I’ve developed a saddle sore so wondering if I’m too far back on it. If I can’t get it to work going to look into dash saddle and Selle smp t2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first split nose was a bunch of years back, ISM Time Trial. I can’t remember what this translates to now. After riding it for a while I pulled the nose in a bit with zip ties. I don’t know if it made a difference. I was immediately quite comfortable on it, but I feel like after two years I started getting squirmy again. Had a fitting, settled on a Cobb Plus 2, which good during the session and abysmal immediately after. I don’t know what happened there, sent it right back. Got a Sitero, which I liked a bit but loved the BTS bottle attachment. Then sold the bike.

Now, I’m on a Dash Strike I think, and it’s killing me. I’m probably the only one. I just have zero idea where it should go in terms of setback (I’m on a road bike at the moment) or how much tilt it should have. I’m really considering going back to a PN1.0 or 3.0.
Quote Reply
Re: Sitting on ism pn 3.1 saddle [jeremyebrock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm on the ism 3.1,

I find that not surprisingly, the shorts you're wearing make a big difference as to how the saddle fits. For me, the tighter the better so my Kiwami Aero LDS tri suit is the most comfortable for full on aero positioning. I don't think Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman suit was any tighter.

Just get your naughty bits high and tight first them hang them over the edge. Everyday bike shorts fit me a bit looser and occasionally give me issues.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried the Bonty Hilo RXL adjustable Damon? Think it is called Speed Dial or something.

It's not for everyone I bet but the adjustable width helped me overcome the inner thigh thing.

Cheers,
Rich.
Last edited by: knighty76: Sep 16, 19 4:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Sitting on ism pn 3.1 saddle [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
PL & PN Series.... https://ismseat.com/...away-podium-male.pdf

That’s the pic I’ve looked at which seems to go slightly against people’s description of having one’s “parts” more off the front edge. I was expecting the pic to show being seated even more forward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
stevej wrote:
PL & PN Series.... https://ismseat.com/...away-podium-male.pdf

That’s the pic I’ve looked at which seems to go slightly against people’s description of having one’s “parts” more off the front edge. I was expecting the pic to show being seated even more forward.

I probably sit more forward on my PN 3.1 than that picture shows. I think the main point of the picture is to show people that you aren't supposed to sit on it like a normal saddle and you need to be much more forward. If you find the PN 3.1 to be too wide, try sitting more forward on it (you may need to move the saddle back depending on your current setup).

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my case I don’t think it’s a too wide issue as I’m getting a saddle sore maybe just slightly on the ride side I guess in the taint area. I may try moving the saddle just slightly back and see how that feels as occasionally I’ve tried scooting forward more and that seemed better. I’ve got an IM in two weeks so not much time to experiment. I’ve got a 2 hour ride this weekend so if I move the saddle back and it feels okay I’ll do that otherwise it will stay put and I’ll deal with soreness during race. It’s tricky as it usually takes a good 2 hours of riding to start hurting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been riding a PN this season and still getting used to it. I find myself inching further and further up on it almost to the point where im actually falling off the front and then tend to stay there. I have found that the overall riding position and pressure relief are worth the soreness - Though I find a huge difference (better) with a thinner, more streamlined chamois and obviously plenty of butter with minimal discomfort on 2 hr rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
heard back from bike fitter who fit me back in July and he’s going to move the saddle back a bit and down slightly. So hopefully that works. It’s always interesting to me trying to get a fit dialed in. He was correcting my previous poor bike fit. Just working through the saddle thing can take time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had an ISM Attack/PN2.0. I switched to a wider PR 2.0 and find it to be much more comfortable.

The funny thing is, if you asked me, I would have told you it was too wide. But really, it was just too narrow. Adding the width allowed me to actually sit on it instead of smashing my soft bits.
Quote Reply
Re: Sitting on ism pn 3.1 saddle [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there was a post from another bike fitter that had a list of popular saddles that triathletes should try and I believe the PR series was on there. The PN series is popular of course. Mine still may end working for me with slight adjustments. If not, I’ll take a look at some other saddles. PR probably on that list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also use a PR 2.0, it took several months to get used to it...but, its golden now. When I got my fit, we spent more time on the saddle position then we did on the front end. I actually ended up with the tilt UP by 2deg from level (the rails not the top). I ride way far forward on it, with the prongs on my taint. It feels like there's "nothing" there.

According to this article from Dan, it is by far the most popular saddle when trying them all out and choosing "the best".

I'm assuming you use chamios cream of some sort?
Quote Reply
Re: Sitting on ism pn 3.1 saddle [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm. I didn’t think of this. Interesting
Quote Reply
Re: Sitting on ism pn 3.1 saddle [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. I use assos and before last long ride applied even more liberally. I can’t recall which tri shorts I’ve worn every time but I probably should wear my Desoto ones which have the best padding. Others should work as well but just trying to avoid discomfort race day. Bike is in for service and while it’s there fitter is going to make the adjustments he had recommended so hopefully that will help. So I have a 2 hour ride this Saturday to test it out. And then following weekend my IM. Hoping it works out but if not I’ll most likely check into the PR as well as some other saddles.
Quote Reply