Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Single or dual sided power meter
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

Having an issue deciding what way to go.
I finally got the go ahead from my wife to purchase a power meter. I’m 98% set on the Favero Assioma pedals.
What I forgot to mention to my wife is I need a bike computer to get the power data. I currently have a bontrager trip 100 and my Garmin 920 XT. Both of which will not connect to the pedals. Am I correct in saying that?
So, do I get the uno single side power and a new edge 530 which is about the same price as the duo or get the duo and try my luck at convincing her for another 300$ for the computer.
Is there a huge difference between single and dual or just slightly more accurate?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks team

Quinner
Quote Reply
Re: Single or dual sided power meter [Quinny98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the Garmin will connect to the PM over ANT+.

Go for dual.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They (pedals) should connect to a 920 XT. You could look for used edge 500/520 on the classifieds to save money and to have a dedicated bike computer that will display power. you could also use your phone if you want to. Since they transmit in bluetooth as well.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Last edited by: mknight84: May 24, 19 7:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 920XT will connect to the Assioma dual.

The issue with a dual/total power meter versus a single-sided meter is that it will be off by double your power imbalance. For example, if you have a 55%/45% left-right power balance, a single-sided PM will be wrong by 10%. And further, your power imbalance will move around depending on stress, recovery, interval strength, etc. So, the accuracy could float anywhere between 5% to 10% off for a lot of people.

All that said, the foundation is that you are training and racing on a consistent power measure. So, if you are training on a single-sided meter and you are racing, the problem of being wrong is minimized because at least it will be consistent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the dual and pickup a used Garmin 500/520 for like $50
Quote Reply
Re: Single or dual sided power meter [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
Get the dual and pickup a used Garmin 500/520 for like $50

^ Do this. I have a single sided bePro and a dual sided assiomas (different bikes). When I ride the bikes on my direto, the assiomas are always within 5W of the direto. The BePro is +/- 20W (my left leg is longer and stronger than my right leg).

Also, the assiomas should connect to the 920XT.
Quote Reply
Re: Single or dual sided power meter [bearlyfinish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have Assioma and it is working fine with Fenix and my father's Assioma is paired with 920xt and Bontrager node 2.1

I'll buy Edge 520 for 50$ :)
Last edited by: KamilN: May 24, 19 13:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the dual. The assiomas will work great with the 920xt; it's definitely easier to see power in real time on a bike computer though. My imbalance is not the same every ride. It depends what cadence I'm doing and even what bike I'm riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used a 310 XT with a quick release kit as my main power display/data-acquisition device for the better part of two years before I finally got an Edge 520.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply