Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Single file, no pass zones
Quote | Reply
This weekend I got stuck in a ~1.5 mile no pass zone for around 5mins, that cost me a couple of minutes as I was behind some slower riders.

Whilst this was a little annoying, I likely got some of that back later in the ride & given the course was changed due to flooding it's understandable.

The section was a fairly cambered and narrow shoulder, there were times I could've safely passed either in that shoulder or by popping onto the road.

After a while a couple of riders passed me, given I was freewheeling to stay behind the person in front I wasn't super happy about that.

How do you deal with long no pass zones? Do you take an absolute 'no passing at all' line or if you can safely pass and then get free air would you consider that reasonable or cheating?
Quote Reply
Re: Single file, no pass zones [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they say no passing, it is no passing and should be DQ.

Anytime a race has such a section, it should be strictly enforced by having a marshal there for the entirety of the event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Races often have timing mats at the beginning and end of no pass zones. If you pass, and you exit at a different sequence than you entered, you risk a penalty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was out there yesterday and I tried to follow the rules. I was behind a slower lady during one, but I just used it as a time to get some recovery in. One guy passed me during the zone and I gave him a shout.

Another issue yesterday was people riding in the center of the road, where the pavement was perhaps a little better. I started pretty early (bib 255), and it was largely fast athletes that were doing so. I came up on a guy who was right in the middle, and since I was on the far right, I stayed straight for the pass, and of course he veered to the right. I get the pavement was better (marginally at best), but riding on the right didn't stop me from gaining time on him, so perhaps he should have just followed the rules of the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SteveM wrote:
This weekend I got stuck in a ~1.5 mile no pass zone for around 5mins, that cost me a couple of minutes as I was behind some slower riders.

Whilst this was a little annoying, I likely got some of that back later in the ride & given the course was changed due to flooding it's understandable.

The section was a fairly cambered and narrow shoulder, there were times I could've safely passed either in that shoulder or by popping onto the road.

After a while a couple of riders passed me, given I was freewheeling to stay behind the person in front I wasn't super happy about that.

How do you deal with long no pass zones? Do you take an absolute 'no passing at all' line or if you can safely pass and then get free air would you consider that reasonable or cheating?
I try to adhere to it but many times people interpret "no pass zone" as "no speed zone" so it is easy to get stuck behind someone going way too slow. If so, I will pass them when it's absolutely safe to do so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a stronger swimmer then cyclist, I get passed a lot during the bike leg and the "no pass zones" are no exception to that. In my last race I had at least a half dozen people pass me in the no pass zones. I've never noticed a race official enforcing the no pass zones at any race I've ever done and I've noticed that not everyone observes the no pass rules.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was this early on the bike course? I remember seeing signs for single file but I didn’t know there was a no pass zone.

Either way, I could only safely pass a few people on those stretches so had to sit up.
And, I started dead last. Only the relay was behind me at the start so the single file sections and all turns were dangerous. As someone else mentioned, people were riding in the middle of the road for most of the bike which made it sketchy. Even if you are riding fast, people need to ride to the right until passing. I wasn’t happy about the starting situation but oh well.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The signs posted said ride single file, not a no passing zone. The only way to enforce a no passing zone is with timing mats and issuing a DQ or have motos policing it.
Quote Reply
Re: Single file, no pass zones [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anytime a race has such a section, it should be strictly enforced by having a marshal there for the entirety of the event.
---

Anytime a race has such a section, they should organize the waves by talent and not let the traditionally slower age groups go before the traditionally faster age groups. Then, everyone who buys in to that race should consider never doing that race again unless changes are made. If you can't pass someone in a race, then you are defeating the purpose of the race. I get that once in a while, something will happen on a course that forces the RD's hand. If that thing isn't rectified for the next version of the race (either via the community or the RD changing the layout of the course), then I'll vote with my registration fee. Or specifically, the lack thereof.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Single file, no pass zones [TPerkin2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TPerkin2000 wrote:
The signs posted said ride single file, not a no passing zone. The only way to enforce a no passing zone is with timing mats and issuing a DQ or have motos policing it.

From memory it was a big 'single file' sign with 'no overtaking' in smaller letters below. However I've not exactly got a photographic memory so I could well be wrong.

Can you pass in a 'single file' if it doesn't explicitly state no overtaking?
Quote Reply
Re: Single file, no pass zones [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
---

Anytime a race has such a section, they should organize the waves by talent and not let the traditionally slower age groups go before the traditionally faster age groups. Then, everyone who buys in to that race should consider never doing that race again unless changes are made. If you can't pass someone in a race, then you are defeating the purpose of the race. I get that once in a while, something will happen on a course that forces the RD's hand. If that thing isn't rectified for the next version of the race (either via the community or the RD changing the layout of the course), then I'll vote with my registration fee. Or specifically, the lack thereof.

Completely agree..many races are shifting focus to completitors turning the bike course into a bike tour instead of a race. I backed out of 2 races this year which had them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
If they say no passing, it is no passing and should be DQ.

I agree with this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I refuse to do any events that utilize no passing zones. That's a failure of course design in my book.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Single file, no pass zones [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brider wrote:
I refuse to do any events that utilize no passing zones. That's a failure of course design in my book.

Same. What’s the point? It’s a race not a parade. The only one I am okay with is the speed limit coming down Old Stage at boulder peak because of the issues they’ve had before and it’s till like 35-40mph limit or something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brider wrote:

Sometimes it is unavoidable due to last minute problems, but agreed it shouldn't be planned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
brider wrote:

Sometimes it is unavoidable due to last minute problems, but agreed it shouldn't be planned.

you guys are so hard core.. i refuse to date anyone except models. I am single for some reason.
Quote Reply
Re: Single file, no pass zones [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
brider wrote:

Same. What’s the point? It’s a race not a parade. The only one I am okay with is the speed limit coming down Old Stage at boulder peak because of the issues they’ve had before and it’s till like 35-40mph limit or something.

you could choose to look at it differently. consider it a wrinkle that everyone has to deal with, not a penalty. Though if the no pass zone was longer than say 5% of the total bike length I might feel differently.
Quote Reply
Re: Single file, no pass zones [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milkman1982 wrote:
iamuwere wrote:
brider wrote:

you guys are so hard core.. i refuse to date anyone except models. I am single for some reason.

Bffff... I just spit out my tea. Hands down best ST reply in weeks.
IM Oceanside 70.3 has a short no pass zone early in the ride then a killer downhill speed limit no pass zone when headed down one of the mountains on Camp Pendleton. The second is def for speed/safety concerns. Despite the NP zones that is always a killer bike course. Repeat for sure.
Last edited by: Trigirl357: Oct 29, 18 10:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
brider wrote:

Oceanside as well. The speed limit section is only about a half-mile. Going 25 verses 15 in it might save you 10 seconds. And of course is worth it otherwise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brider wrote:

Kona has a no passing zone. Happy to take a roll down from anyone who feels this way.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just pass.. as I am MOP/BOP swimmer I pass tons of ppl on the bike. The sprint course I usually do has a no-pass section (because of construction) but they close the lane that goes the same way as the race... it's actually safer to pass there then other sections not closed to traffic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont think I've ever seen signage that like in all the m-dot races I've done. Did they say anything about it during the athlete briefing (I dont remember)? Even still, its a race, not a cycle tour. I didnt have the advantage of a super low AWA number this year where I would expect things were far more spread out and a complete non-issue for the first 100-200 at that point, so why should the rest of us be penalized based on what random number we were assigned for the TT bike start? Like I said, if there arent timing mats or course marshals to enforce it then its completely pointless.
Quote Reply
Re: Single file, no pass zones [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
brider wrote:

Oceanside as well. The speed limit section is only about a half-mile. Going 25 verses 15 in it might save you 10 seconds. And of course is worth it otherwise

Or they can rid that bike course and instead use CA-76 like lifetime did
Quote Reply
Re: Single file, no pass zones [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Grant.Reuter wrote:
brider wrote:

you could choose to look at it differently. consider it a wrinkle that everyone has to deal with, not a penalty. Though if the no pass zone was longer than say 5% of the total bike length I might feel differently.

If, as someone mentioned earlier, you have the faster waves go first or a time trial start I’d feel different. But when it basically becomes luck of the draw on if you’ll be behind someone riding slow or not then it’s a problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I now know the race was the Waco. And since they give bib preference to their frequent flyer members... I see your point.
Quote Reply

Prev Next