Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Single Leg Calf Raise
Quote | Reply
I had ankle surgery (shaving down a hypertrophic peroneal tubercle but no need for tendon repair) in November, and have slowly been building strength back up. One of the test my PT had me do was a single leg calf raise on each leg. My right leg, no problem doing 25 in a row. My left leg, the one I had surgery on in November, could barely do one single lift of my heel. Almost nonexistent to the human eye.

It’s now been over two months since surgery, and my single leg balance is vastly improved but I still can barely do a half ass single leg calf raise with my left leg. I want to get back to running…..I’m running on the AlterG at PT……..but the weak calf concerns me. Not asking for advice as I’m listening to my PT and only running on the AlterG. Just curious if anyone else has trouble with single leg calf raises? Apparently, there’s a certain number we should each be able to perform, based on age/sex
Quote Reply
Re: Single Leg Calf Raise [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can empathize with your frustration Doc but it's only been 2 months post-op. It's still very early in your recovery and I expect significant strides (pun intended) back to full strength are just around the corner for you if not happening already. Focus on the positives like the improved balance you noted while continuing to work back to full flexibility and strength, recognizing that your new 100% for that leg may not be the same before - could be less or more than before.

Lots of variables affect healing and recovery as you well know, and none of us are getting any younger which doesn't favor faster recovery. How long was that ankle immobile and/or non-weight bearing? Are you experiencing discomfort or pain during PT, particularly with single leg calf raises? What about extensions with bands? Has ROM improved post-op? What are you seeing in terms of relative strength and ROM percentages and progress compared to the other leg?

Not asking for answers per se, but things for you to consider to maintain perspective on your healing and recovery. To answer your question, I can do single calf raises fine now. However, following injuries in Oct '20 when a careless driver hit me on my bike, my right leg was immobile and non-weight bearing for 6 weeks, and the recovery curve was long. There were several months of PT with many, many milestones, including single leg calf raises. Running (actually easy jogging) wasn't on the radar for me until month 5, and it sounds like you're already well ahead of that. Best wishes on your PT and recovery!
Quote Reply
Re: Single Leg Calf Raise [tripolar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the perspective, and words of wisdom. It’s definitely frustrating how slow we heal as we get older.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no idea. Just wishing you well in your continued recovery. Hugs.

one question, more out of curiosity than anything else, is if you've been trying to do calf raises all along or if it was just an initial test, that you re-tested? It sort of seems - and I am way outside my expertise - if you want to be able to do a particular movement, you should do the movement, or approximate it.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Feb 4, 23 11:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you get muscle atrophy? Measure your calf. If you spent any time immobile, I’ll bet it’s skinnier than the right. Talk to your PT about frequency and intensity of working the calf muscle. It’s a delicate balance of overload and recovery to get back. I’m 67 and tore my right quad kicking a soccer ball at my goalie grandson in late August. After 2 weeks the swelling, bruising began to subside and now after 2 months of PT and then following the strengthening program, I’m about 95% back. I could have avoided all of that by warming up first. I heal a lot slower than I did in my youth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately I don’t have anything to add except I’m probably going to be dealing with a similar situation so it will be interesting. I had Achilles debridement / Haglunds resection on Dec 22. I was only 2 weeks NWB and 6 in a boot. 6 week follow up is tomorrow followed by PT. My PT said he should be able to get me into a walk / run program at 16 weeks (which means I should be able to do a single leg calf raise). We’ll see. Best of luck!

Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: Single Leg Calf Raise [jeepguy2358] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeepguy2358 wrote:
Unfortunately I don’t have anything to add except I’m probably going to be dealing with a similar situation so it will be interesting. I had Achilles debridement / Haglunds resection on Dec 22. I was only 2 weeks NWB and 6 in a boot. 6 week follow up is tomorrow followed by PT. My PT said he should be able to get me into a walk / run program at 16 weeks (which means I should be able to do a single leg calf raise). We’ll see. Best of luck!

Interestingly, what got me thinking about this was a discussion on a search. The entire discussion was people who’d had Achilles surgery related to Haglunds and many were discussing their inability to do a single leg calf raise, even 6-12 months later. Some were back to their activities. Hopefully, you will have an uneventful recovery
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EyeRunMD wrote:
Thanks for the perspective, and words of wisdom. It’s definitely frustrating how slowly we heal as we get older.

... or don't heal, as the case may sometimes be

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Single Leg Calf Raise [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
EyeRunMD wrote:
Thanks for the perspective, and words of wisdom. It’s definitely frustrating how slowly we heal as we get older.

... or don't heal, as the case may sometimes be

That’s something I’m also concerned about. I’m a big guy (6’4” and usually 200 lbs). With me turning 53 this year, I told my wife “who knows how much longer I’ll actually be able to run these long distance events (ultras)?” I feel like I’m racing the clock…..we all are, I know…..to still be somewhat fast and be able to go long. Dealing with injuries sucks, especially as I get older, because of that feeling of time closing in. Maybe that’s just me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EyeRunMD wrote:
I had ankle surgery (shaving down a hypertrophic peroneal tubercle but no need for tendon repair) in November, and have slowly been building strength back up. One of the test my PT had me do was a single leg calf raise on each leg. My right leg, no problem doing 25 in a row. My left leg, the one I had surgery on in November, could barely do one single lift of my heel. Almost nonexistent to the human eye.

It’s now been over two months since surgery, and my single leg balance is vastly improved but I still can barely do a half ass single leg calf raise with my left leg. I want to get back to running…..I’m running on the AlterG at PT……..but the weak calf concerns me. Not asking for advice as I’m listening to my PT and only running on the AlterG. Just curious if anyone else has trouble with single leg calf raises? Apparently, there’s a certain number we should each be able to perform, based on age/sex

I tore my calf pretty badly about 18 months ago, My sports doc recommended double calf raises as part of the rehab, and when I could get to 30, with NO fatiguing on either leg, try some single ones on my left. It made sense to me & helped a lot.

I also couldn't do a single one on my left, at first...
Quote Reply
Re: Single Leg Calf Raise [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that info about your own rehab.

That’s what I’ve been focusing on is calf raises on both legs. I really have to focus, when doing them, because I feel like I’m using my good leg to do all the work, and my bad leg is not getting the full effect. Likely just my imagination
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about seated calf raises to get started?
Quote Reply
Re: Single Leg Calf Raise [gall1972] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gall1972 wrote:

Actually don't have any problem doing those. Its only when I am standing, and putting my entire body weight into the equation, that I have difficulty. My PT has me using an AlterG treadmill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EyeRunMD wrote:
gall1972 wrote:

Actually don't have any problem doing those. Its only when I am standing, and putting my entire body weight into the equation, that I have difficulty. My PT has me using an AlterG treadmill

Seated vs standing calf raises work different muscles - soleus vs gastrocs, respectively. The both attach to the achilles at the bottom, so it's interesting that one is doable while the other isn't seeing how the injury is in the ankle. But good news is, both calf muscles are extremely resilient, difficult to overtrain, and should bounce back relatively quickly. You should be able to work them as much as you can and be back to running in no time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not work on leg press machine to allow lower than full body wt?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EyeRunMD wrote:

I know this scenario well-broke my heel and had to get it pinned. Best tip is to recognize it will just take time, but once you get some strength back into it make a conscious effort to always be doing some stranding calf raises when ever you can.

I still do to this day when I'm standing in line or just generally standing, double leg and single leg raises...and my calf still isnt the same size as the non broken leg...
Quote Reply