Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Since we're on lifestyle/wellness, How's your diet?
Quote | Reply
Mine is terrible. Total food intake yesterday: Three cups coffee, two bottle orange juice, one cherry turnover.

Day before: Same during the day but add nasty double decker hamburger eaten at 1:00 A.M.

Last real meal I had was now four days ago.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Since we're on lifestyle/wellness, How's your diet? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see your eating the good stuff. Man if all I did was drink coffee and Orange juice I wouldn't have time to work, I'd be on the throne. I eat a somewhat balanced diet, and I am striving to improve it so that I will feel comfortable not supplementing with vitamins but if I eat crap I certainly do not have a guilty conscience.
Quote Reply
Re: Since we're on lifestyle/wellness, How's your diet? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am right there with you on this one Tom. I have got three of my girls playing softball so you can imagine our meals consist of Hot Dogs and Dr. Pepper at the ball fields but since I am coaching though I do get my Dr. Pepper free. Big bonus there. Do not really even remeber the last real meal though. Hard to train on a diet of hot dogs. Hope your gets better as I do mine. I am training for my first ironman in Clermont so I think it would be good to clean it up a little bit.. Good luck to you!!!!!!!

Craig
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In your case it seems to be this busy bachelor lifestyle thing. Still, that's not an excuse. You really should find the time to either 1) take a basic cooking course 2) sit down and read some "good how" to cook books.

You are what you eat. All the tri training in the world will not give you optimum health if you are not feeding yourself right. I took my own advice when I was single and learned how to cook. If you really want to impress a girlfriend then learn to cook. Believe me it's more effective than going out for any fancy restaurant meal and it shows the gal that she's not hooking up with a cooking challenged bozo that will end up confining her to the kitchen in a long term relationship.

My wife is an excellent cook and cooks about 2/3 of the time. We eat a lot of pasta, grains, fish, chicken, quite a few vegetarian dishes and very little red meat. Hardly any junk or fast food at all. It shows because almost all my now middle aged old friends are way over weight on their McJunk type diets.
Quote Reply
Nutrient percentage? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wondering, anyone know what percetage of the diet should be high-quality dark chocolate? I am in need of some justification here!

"My strategy is to start out slow and then peter-out altogether" Walt Stack
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrient percentage? [C2KRider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I subscribe to the 30/30/30 theory: 30% dark chocolate, 30% coffee, 30% Red Bull.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Nutrient percentage? [C2KRider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chocolate - no more than 2% unless consumed with matching amounts of beer.

for the last few seasons my diet has been pathetic. while i ate enough good stuff to keep me going (an apple/banana a day or so), my fuel for the most part was high calorie junk (and, uh, liquid bread, not the sustained energy kind). this season i switched gears. in an attempt to take it to "the next level," i'm eating a well-balanced, sensible diet. i've stabilized weight 5-7lbs lower than most previous seasons and feel as strong on the bike and much lighter on the run. i PR'd my 5k and 10k times in March due to smart training (but perhaps, smart eating as well).

i got sick of the health freaks using that last 5% of controllable factors (trainining/diet/lifestyle) to outrun me, so have joined the club on a trial-membership basis.

MG

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Triangle Open Water Swim Series | Old School Aquathon Series
Powerstroke® Freestyle Technique DVD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, way to go! We have a club called the TriBuddha Multisport Association. There are only 4 members currently, I am one of the founders. To get into this club you have to show a consistent level of gluttony during get togethers, best place to prove yourself is a buffet. Now if you have consumed so much that you have to undo the zipper (for those that have attained TriBuddha enlightenment, we turn up in elasticated track pants), lay down or be ill then you are considered for membership. But you have to prove yourself over a few of these events, once will not do. Any discussion of losing weight, diets, or if you are found unable to finish your meal or dessert (heavens forbid) you may lose membership or at least go on probation!

Ok back to the subject, about 7 months ago I made a decision to get nutrition right as it was one of my problems. Coming from an Asian background where food is not purely for sustenanace but to be enjoyed at large family gatherings, and the ability to cook is much prized (if you have no idea of what I am talking about, have you watched My Fat Greek Wedding? Well that is one thing we Chinese share in common with the Greeks) So now we eat a much better diet, lots of lean protein, vegetables, watch the starch, and cut out as much fat as the taste buds and reason will allow. It has made a huge difference for recovery and to workouts. This has translated to race performance as well. So other than weekends or when the TriBuddha Association gets together we eat a very balanced diet.

A chilli dog and a Wendy's Frosty will do nicely thank you, maybe after that 5 hr ride, and then to be supplemented by some pasta/bagel etc.

But Mexican food is sssooo gooood! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine argues that 80% of a person's overall fitness is tied to one's diet. Would you agree? I'm 4 weeks into almost eliminating cafineated beverages(Cokes) and cheeseburgers from my diet. I'm about 4lbs lighter now, don't feel sluggish, and am starting to fit better in my clothes. I've cut back my red meat intake and I generally feel so much better through out the day. Living in Houston, Texas, its very difficult to avoid the Mexican food!!!

Any cook book suggestions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow Tom, I'm really surprised that you find yourself this out of whack with your diet, given your background, especially the military. You are obviously the type of person who puts their life into their work. The danger is that important stuff like diet (and relationships!) suffer. You need to develop a routine daily diet plan for your work days. Even if it is alternating PowerBars and Met-Rx bars(or your preference) four to six daily, supplemented by coffee and juice. I've had to resort to that diet plan for months on end before. It ain't pretty but its better than nothing. Your shop doesn't happen to be near a Taco Hell does it? A bean burrito is a nearly perfect macro-nutrient mix, and 380cals a pop. I fueled my last IM assault on a daily habit of 2-3 of them with water for lunch and dinner. Far better than 1000cals of 50% saturated fat burgers.
Quote Reply
Re: Since we're on lifestyle/wellness, How's your diet? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the fire is burning, it doesn't matter what you put into it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine's improved a bit over the years.

On the run of the mill weekday...

Breakfast: Cereal, lot's o milk, maybe an energy bar.

Mid morning snack: Oatmeal or protein drink

Lunch: Subway or Arby's sandwich. Quiznos Italian sandwich if I feel like treating myself.

Afternoon snack: Energy bar

Dinner: Some form of chicken or veggie burgers and a bowl of rice. Maybe a glass of wine or beer to wash it down.

I tend to junk it up on the weekends when I go out to eat.
Quote Reply
Re: Since we're on lifestyle/wellness, How's your diet? [mts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, I'll bite. It DOES matter. The body's processes are essentially chemical processes. Some chemicals are better than others at producing optimum fueling and performance. When you are needing 4-5000 cals/day, it can APPEAR that you can eat anything you want, but that's only because simply consuming that many calories is difficult enough to accomplish without worrying about the appropriate ratios. You could eat 1/2 gallon of ice-cream and easily make a huge dent in that 4-5000 cal deficit or you could take a few minutes to plan a well rounded diet that will promote optimum recovery for the next day's training. I'm amazed at athletes who hem and haw over which $3500 bike or $1400 set of wheels to buy, but they don't invest a few minutes of time to ensure they are eating properly to make the best use of all that hard training they are hopefully doing.

I meet people like Tom all the time. They are so focused on their work (or kids or school or....) that they neglect themselves. An adequate diet is simple to attain, but easy to neglect. The learning curve to good nutrition is steep, but not all that high. The time invested in learning is worth at least the $1400 you are contemplating dropping on Zipp 909s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yesterday...

Breakfast - bannana

Lunch - Ice Cream

Snacks - Salad, Cliff Bar

Dinner - Pasta with lots of googies such as olives, capers olive oil etc, Jalapeno & Cheese Bread

I have lost 11lbs from Jan 19 up to yesterday 196 to 185. My weakness is ice cream. No alcohol for me so I guess those extra cals have to come from somewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
regular small meals of

Lean Meats (fish, chicken, lean beef)
Veggies (steamed/stir fry)
Slow acting carbohydrate (brown rice, sweet potato)
Good fats (nuts, plant oils)

Occasional helping of Mint Chip Ice Cream, Gatorade when I'm training, and a Gatorade/fructose/protein mix for post-workout.

I stopped drinking and eating ice cream, but got too lean for my own good so I added the ice cream back in and have added the weight that I needed to.
Quote Reply
Re: Since we're on lifestyle/wellness, How's your diet? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sample day for me:

5:00 1-2 cups of coffee, 3-500 cals of cereal (mix of shredded wheat, bran flakes, and dried cranberries), 8 ounces of fresh squeezed juice. (4-700 cals depending on how much "fluff" I put in the java)

6:00-7:30 AM training (I don't use anything but water since the duration is usually 1:00-1:15) (Burn 700-1500 cals)

7:45 Post workout meal: Met-Rx bar and banana (450 cals)

9:00 Yogurt and banana (300 cals)

12:00 Can of tuna (or an extra serving of last night's lean meat), microwaved white or sweet potato, cottage cheese and fruit. (600-700 cals) I add a 300 cal bagel if the PM workout is longer than 1:30.

3:00 bagel and peanut butter (300-500 cals) whole or 1/2 depending on length of PM workout (Burn 1000-2000 cals)

4:00-6:00 PM training (fuel is usually 1 bottle of Accelerade on the bike, water if its a run) (140 cals)

6:15 Energy bar (200-500 cals)

7:00 Lean meat, pasta or potato, 2-3 servings of vegetables (700-900 cals)

BMR: 1800, Daily activities 400 (currently desk bound), exercise 1700-3000 cals: Total: 3900-5200 cals

Intake: 3500-5000 cals

I am 34 y/o, 5'9", 168lbs, and currently about 5-6%bodyfat. I never gain or lose more than 3lbs bodyfat.

This represents a well rounded diet, aimed at providing optimum recovery post-exercise, and easily maintained even on the busiest of days. My energy level stays constant during the day and I have plenty of fuel throughout the day. The majority of my cals come early before 3:00 every day. The calorie range is 3500-5000, providing adequate intake to fuel each day's workouts. All the meals are low maintenance except dinner, which I can prepare in about 15 min. I can maintain this diet even if I'm traveling. I pack the day's meals in my ever-present backpack and eat at every opportunity. Its not too hard to make wise choices when forced to eat out for business. Just stay away from the Outback cheese fries!

The best part about eating in this manner is that it is easy to tailor calorie intake to the day's activities. Tom's illustration points out the pitfalls inherent in not planning your diet. Those cheese fries and burgers become overbearing temptations and the next thing you know, you've had 4000 calories of junk.
Quote Reply
Re: Since we're on lifestyle/wellness, How's your diet? [SimpleS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking of Outback, I wonder if two Ribs On the Barbie with side salad and one Cinnamon Oblivion would render me a lifetime membership of the TriBuddha Multisport Association....
Quote Reply
Re: But Mexican food is sssooo gooood! [texicans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife, bless her, felt she was about 8 lbs. overweight about a year ago and joined Weight Watchers. It worked, but created a huge inequity in the way we each need to eat. She subscribed to "Cooking Light" magazine. Since I do most of the cooking I resisted using it for reasons now lost to obscurity. But when I did finally try some of the recipes I found that they weren't half bad (in fact quite good). I just made sure that I made enough of each recipe so that I could have at least twice as much as she did. It's worth a try.

Anyone else have the problem of your spouse needing to eat differently than you?
Quote Reply
Re: But Mexican food is sssooo gooood! [oglethorpe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heh, heh. Cooking Light, huh? Of course most nutritionists would rename it "Cooking Right" or "Cooking Healthy", and with good reason. The meals are well balanced and actually represent a "better mousetrap" way of looking at cooking. You aren't going to see many Bernaise sauce or Hamburger Surprise recipes, but most are more than worthy of restaurant fare. And most of them are nearly as simple to fix as your old hamburger helper boxed crap. Good on your wife. Good on you for seeing the light.
Quote Reply
Re: But Mexican food is sssooo gooood! [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More like, good on the baseball bat she used to get me to try my first recipe!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, you need to invest in some protein shakes and bars. EAS is a graet product. Myoplex regular shakes in the packet run about 1.75 per pack and the Myoplex bars are usually 1.75 to 2.50 per bar. Ready to go all the time. Taste good too. Even if its crappy food you should try to eat something every2-3 hours. Its better to eat then not to eat. Your schedule will allow for the calories. Not recommened to eat like that all the time but that's why you supplement with the EAS stuff. Only reason I say EAS is that is very cost effective and taste good.
Quote Reply
Re: But Mexican food is sssooo gooood! [Matt Berner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Food intake yesterday: four cups coffee, one Red Bull, one cherry doughnut, one Cliff Bar, One medium Pizza , one Diet Coke, one bowl vegetable soup, three liters water, two big jars of orange juice.

So far today: Two large coffees, one orange juice, 1 liter of water and one cherry turnover.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PS to TBG. I knew there was some reason I liked you. You're a brother Marine. I had not picked that up before. Although, I am what is classified as a former Marine, being just a wee bit past the age of service at this point. Still, once a Marine always a Marine. It is a bit sad though that the 2 people extolling the benefits of "Cooking Light" are Marines. Where's my steak, dammit?!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: But Mexican food is sssooo gooood! [oglethorpe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cooking Light is a very good source. It's not all frou-frou veggie only kind of stuff. Most recipes include some lean meat and the portion sizes are right on. I do 95% of the cooking at our house because I enjoy it. My wife hates it and sucks at it. I cook/she cleans. In my experience, as someone pointed out above, chicks dig a guy who cooks, too.

We try to eat healthy and generally succeed. If you keep the right provisions on hand, it helps alot. One shopping trip a week to buy some boneless, skinless chicken breasts, fresh greens (already washed), some pre-cut and washed broc/carrots and some cherry tomatoes. When you get home from working out, sprinkle some spices on the chicken, throw it in the oven on 350. Go put your stuff away and shower, get your stuff together for the next day's workout, throw a salad together on one half of your plate, after the chicken has baked 30 minutes, throw it on the other half of the plate, and you're ready for a healthy meal. Prep time is about 5 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Usually, it's some alfalfa with some wood to gnaw down my teeth...

Actually, it consists of Popeye's spicy chicken, red beans and rice, cajun rice (w/ their mashed potato gravy smothered onto it), a 40 of Colt 45.

Fridays are pizza (double mushrooms). Other nights are chicken Mc Nuggets, Lion's Choice Roast Beef. I do drink 1 gallon of water per day along with the 2-3 beers every evening.

Breakfast: a piece of fruit and/or energy bar.
Quote Reply

Prev Next