Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Simplest running watch: clock and pace only
Quote | Reply
Wich running watch models are the simplest, most basic to use/ cheapest ?
I would only use the stopwatch and pace functions.

Thanks,

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Simplest running watch: clock and pace only [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want pace then you need GPS, which does bump up the price and features up a little bit from entry level. You can pick up something like the Garmin Forerunner 25 for about $100 I think, Polar M200 for a little more. Small amount of effort in the initial setup to configure yourself a nice simple screen that just shows the data you want, after that they're very easy to use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FR25 really does the trick for me. No frills, don't need em.
It has Bluetooth for easy upload to Strava.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want truly simple and super low cost, then there is only one, the Casio f-91w. I use one for running, and have one dedicated and mounted to each of my bikes (race, gravel, and semifat).

https://www.casio.com/...tches/classic/f91w-1

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Simplest running watch: clock and pace only [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
If you want truly simple and super low cost, then there is only one, the Casio f-91w. I use one for running, and have one dedicated and mounted to each of my bikes (race, gravel, and semifat).

That will give you pace? Cool!

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Simplest running watch: clock and pace only [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're on a track, yup, absolutely.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Re: Simplest running watch: clock and pace only [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

lol!

Actually, probably a more accurate pace than a GPS watch.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jan 17, 19 5:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

I assume this is just a standard watch with a stop watch and not a GPS assisted one that gives pace? I use the Timex Marathon (also ~$22 on Amazon) for most of my athletic needs (basically pace times at the track when I ran and interval start end when I used to XC ski or when I bike and just do intervals on feel and not power.....I don't need anything in the pool:

https://www.amazon.ca/...547731535&sr=8-4
Quote Reply
Re: Simplest running watch: clock and pace only [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it is just a very basic digital LCD stopwatch.

And right now just 7 bucks on Amazon usa ....

--
Quote Reply
Re: Simplest running watch: clock and pace only [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys have me thinking.

I have a Garmin, but I really should just go back to my old methods of running by time (I know how long my regular routes are, but really, time is what I generally train by. Even in the pool, I count up the metres, but essentially that's just fitting the metres into the time I have allotted to the practice.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

I assume this is just a standard watch with a stop watch and not a GPS assisted one that gives pace? I use the Timex Marathon (also ~$22 on Amazon) for most of my athletic needs (basically pace times at the track when I ran and interval start end when I used to XC ski or when I bike and just do intervals on feel and not power.....I don't need anything in the pool:

I tried not to click on these links in order to avoid never being able to unsee what might be seen. . .Dear GOD! My eyes are on fire.

Do you wear knee high tube socks and cotton gym shorts as well??

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Simplest running watch: clock and pace only [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

I tried not to click on these links in order to avoid never being able to unsee what might be seen. . .Dear GOD! My eyes are on fire.

Do you wear knee high tube socks and cotton gym shorts as well??

You ever watch "Semi-Pro", with Will Ferrell? That's Dev's look, complete with a pair of 1970's ASICS Tigers and a cotton headband, Bjorn Borg style.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Simplest running watch: clock and pace only [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
You guys have me thinking.

I have a Garmin, but I really should just go back to my old methods of running by time (I know how long my regular routes are, but really, time is what I generally train by. Even in the pool, I count up the metres, but essentially that's just fitting the metres into the time I have allotted to the practice.

The only garmin we have is a gps/map unit for the car.

For training, the old methods work if you put in the time. I value simplicity, so the casios work for me. Plus l like that I can just slap one on the handlebars and leave it there without needing to mess with it for years. Literally.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timex Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

lol!

Sure, nothing is more accurate than looking at your time when you finish, or each lap, etc., but wouldn't that be a lagging indicator? A bit late to adjust your pace.
Quote Reply
Re: Simplest running watch: clock and pace only [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

lol!

Sure, nothing is more accurate than looking at your time when you finish, or each lap, etc., but wouldn't that be a lagging indicator? A bit late to adjust your pace.

Feel & subjective effort is the primary indicator, the time is the confirmation.

In swimming, you can tell a good swimmer to hit 3 intervals at 3 different paces, and they'll be able to do it within 1 second.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can guess my quarter mile pace within a second or so without looking at my watch during the lap.
Quote Reply
Re: Simplest running watch: clock and pace only [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the useful information !

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Simplest running watch: clock and pace only [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Prove it

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
mcmetal wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

lol!

Feel & subjective effort is the primary indicator, the time is the confirmation.

In swimming, you can tell a good swimmer to hit 3 intervals at 3 different paces, and they'll be able to do it within 1 second.

I think even a crappy swimmer can achieve that...as can a runner. When a bunch of us ran seriously we could tell the time at the end of the run simply based on the route and the perceived exertion on the route and we could do that within a half minute on a 10ish mile run once we knew the route....or on the track.

As for the look, who cares what the look is (whether a watch, shorts, socks)...we're talking about grown men are are seen in public in compression shorts, other assorted lycra and aero helmets with shaved legs. Worrying about what one person on this forum looks like is like the ridiculous looking adults calling others even more or less ridiculous. It's just degrees of stupid look anyway. Hey, as long as a have a six pack in my 50's I have the upper ground to wear whatever the heck I want and I'm going with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You guys must be much better in tune than me. I've been cycling and running for many years and if you were to blindfold me I couldn't tell you my cycling cadence, speed or power with close enough accuracy. Ditto for my running pace. Sure I could guess within my expected range for the current pe, but i'd be off by too much. The problem with pe is that it will vary wildly for the same effort depending on my fatigue level.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cycling cadence I might be able to guess within 5rpms. Power. Maybe within 10 watts. Maybe. Run pace. I’d be lucky to guess my current pace within 10 seconds.
Quote Reply