Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Simple Triathlon Watch - Does it still exist?
Quote | Reply
I'm in the market for a new Multi-sport watch and they all seem to cost a small fortune now and integrate all sorts of crap that I just don't want all those bells and whistles.

I DON'T want it to:
Play Music
Take calls
Receive Texts
Estimate my Vo2 Max
Tell me if I am training hard enough
Etc. etc.

I simply want something that can record my data and tell me pace, power, distance etc. and not cost $500+
Does this even still exist in a quality form?
Quote Reply
Re: Simple Triathlon Watch - Does it still exist? [TriMeToo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wahoo ELEMNT rival. $380. Might not be quite as stripped down as you are looking for, but has less “features” than the a lot of the Forerunner watches

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Polar Vantage M or Coros Pace 2. Sure they have some of the unnecessary features but as soon as you disable phone notifications on them, they're basically just dedicated tri watches. Even the Garmin 920xt has text and phone notifications, I don't think that's something you'll be able to get away from at this point.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin Instinct - it will do a lot of the stuff you don't want - but you don't have to use that.

Records all the metrics you do want - and is about $200 new.

Scratch that - doesn't support power meters apparently.
Last edited by: esuuv: Jan 31, 21 8:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 to Coros Pace 2

If you also own a Stryd, it’s a perfect match
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a Coros. Any other option is more expensive and does the same stuff unless you want to go Full Garmin.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Simple Triathlon Watch - Does it still exist? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timex Ironman. I don't think they have changed since the 1980s. Still get them for like $40.
Quote Reply
Re: Simple Triathlon Watch - Does it still exist? [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Simple Triathlon Watch - Does it still exist? [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those really cheap ones don't do pace and distance, as OP would like.

But Timex does make a very cheap GPS version for $100. They even advertise it as "Your Simplest GPS Watch Ever"

https://www.timex.com/gps-watches/
Last edited by: BigBoyND: Jan 31, 21 14:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Think we want the same thing.

I got a Polar Vantage M.
I paid ÂŁ196 in the UK not long after release (bit under 2 years ago) .

As others say there's a few functions you didn't want. But not all the bigger waste of $$ stuff like music and pay.

Battery stated as 30 hrs in gps+glosnass.
Longest race I've done was about 14 - 14.5hrs and had over half the Battery remaining.

I'd happily have another.

And Polar Flow is waaay better than Connect in my experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, and I want the exact opposite. I want a watch that has super advanced Artificial Intelligence that utiizes my physiological information, past and current training data, personal triathlon goals, daily diet, and uses all of of these multi-faceted deep-dive analytics to provide detailed daily training plans and talks to me constantly throughout the day. I'd name him "Hal" and give him the voice from the computer in Space Odyssey 2001.

Here's a few example of Hal in action. And my name is Bobby for the heck of it I'll program my name into the watch as Dave.

Running with Hal.
- "Dave, this is a Recovery run. This is NOT your Recovery HR and pace. Is it because we're on that Strava segment your ex-girlfriend beat you at yesteday? Please stop being a dumbass and stick to the prescribed plan Dave."

Cycling with Hal
- "Dave you just signed up for a Zwift race in the C Rider category again. Based off your last FTP tests your watts per kilogram is 3.8 which clearly puts you in the B category according to the rules. Why are you sandbagging Dave?

Swimming with Hal
- "Wow Dave. Based off your 1,000 time trial you swim faster than current professional triathletes such as Lionel Sanders and Sam Long. I guess you don't have to swim fast to be a human Professional Triathlete, huh Dave?"

Ironman Race Day with Hal
- "Dave! Dave! Its mile 2 of the bike. Why are you 42% over our target watts for 112 miles?!"
- "Dave, you went to hard on the Swim and Bike again. How many times do we have to walk half a marathon for your meat brain to understand this Dave?"

At home relaxing with Hal
- "Dave, gluttony is derived from the latin word glutirre and in many human religions considered a sin. Also, eleven oven-baked pillsbury chocolate chip cookies in a row is not going to contribute to a good experience on race day, Dave."

- "Dave, after analyzing your finances between Swim/ Bike/ Run equipment and clothing, bike maintenance, app and software training subscriptions, Triathlon-related nutrition, recovery devices, Ironman race fees, travel, lodging and sixteen other miscellaneous costs directlty related to Triathlon you are severely in debt and should get credit counseling and perhaps consider bankruptcy, Dave."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about a used Fenix 5? You can get them around $200. Ignore or turn off the stuff you don’t want.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a Garmin Forerunner 15 as a gift. The small face version to boot.

Other than not looking like I wear a tablet on my wrist, it does record everything I need (time, distance, pace, HR) and I don't waste time with trying to go through countless menus to 'boot it up' or by overanalyzing my workouts.

I reach for it way more often than for my higher end Garmin devices and watches....

Last edited by: windschatten: Jan 31, 21 14:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The old Garmin Vivoactive (first gen) works well (no wrist HRM, but you can read from any external ANT+ strap/puck). The only thing it's missing is power. Seems like Garmin does that to force more serious athletes to their premium offerings. The GPS works well, and so does the swimming functionality.

You can get a used one on eBay for ~$50.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Simple Triathlon Watch - Does it still exist? [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! I’m the same way.
Quote Reply
Re: Simple Triathlon Watch - Does it still exist? [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I just don't want a watch with features I won't use like you describe or one that tells me info I already know like you describe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriMeToo wrote:
Yeah I just don't want a watch with features I won't use like you describe or one that tells me info I already know like you describe.

I was 100% being sarcastic and just trying to inject some humor into the thread :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Polar Vantage M. Great quality, design and functionality. Easy to read while training. Nice and durable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't mind the huge form factor, get a refurb Garmin 310xt. I have one that's been going for years.

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-310XT-Waterproof-Running/dp/B0025VKW5K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coros Pace 2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You left out the most important one:

"Open the Pain Cave doors, HAL"
"Affirmative, Dave. I read you."
"Open the Pain Cave doors, HAL."
"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."
"What's the problem?"
"I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do."
"What are you talking about, HAL?"
"This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it."

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Simple Triathlon Watch - Does it still exist? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
G-man wrote:
Timex Ironman. I don't think they have changed since the 1980s. Still get them for like $40.

Those really cheap ones don't do pace and distance, as OP would like

If you know your routes, and know your mile markers, you can just do your own math

Works for me, anyway

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eBay for a used 920XT or even a 910; you should be able to get a 920XT for under $100USD.

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Re: Simple Triathlon Watch - Does it still exist? [irondave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for Polar M. Often a available refurbished for 160 EUR.
Battery for a nearly a week (2 rides per day and 24h heart rate).

https://www.strava.com/athletes/13873052
Quote Reply

Prev Next