Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Simple Answers Series: Rolling Resistance.
Quote | Reply
Aiming to start a few threads to give simple answers to commonly asked questions. Think of these threads as distilling the collective wisdom of ST, which often results from bruising multi-page threads.

Second thread is rolling resistance. Lots of great data here: http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/

Ask your questions about tires, tubes, and tubeless.
Quote Reply
Re: Simple Answers Series: Rolling Resistance. [alexZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I have read, lower is better 99% on the road in terms of psi. I currently run 72psi on my road bike and love it. But what about on an outdoor velodrome? I know on most indoor velodromes the psi is still way up around 180-220psi and if I recall wiggins ran around 300psi for his hour record attempt.

On a outdoor velodrome with asphalt should I set my psi closer to regular road pressures because of the imperfections in the ground. Or closer to that of a indoor velodrome because it is smoother than the public roads and the g-forces experienced on the track necessitate higher pressure?

Trackie

Quote Reply
Re: Simple Answers Series: Rolling Resistance. [alexZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alexZA wrote:
Aiming to start a few threads to give simple answers to commonly asked questions. Think of these threads as distilling the collective wisdom of ST, which often results from bruising multi-page threads.

Second thread is rolling resistance. Lots of great data here: http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/

Ask your questions about tires, tubes, and tubeless.

The problem is that things are always evolving. What you are really asking for is a wiki of sort. Just take for instance the more recent data about tire wear actually increasing rolling resistance instead of decreasing it. Prior knowledge showed just the opposite.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Simple Answers Series: Rolling Resistance. [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, was hoping for a kind of wiki, or maybe just one thread that could be consulted instead of playing ST search bingo. But, yeah, I take your point about things changing. Maybe I could just keep editing the first post.
Quote Reply
Re: Simple Answers Series: Rolling Resistance. [KrispyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Short answer: probably use road pressures on asphalt tracks.

Josh Poertner And Anhalt have the best public domain data I've seen. (source)

Here are the relevant graphs. You can see that the difference between pristine and old asphalt isn't that much. And you see that you're unlikely to want to go far over 100PSI (25mm, 190lb bike-rider weight).

Some asphalt tracks have special sealants that make them smooth-ish. I still suspect they're far, far closer to raw asphalt than polished wood.

Quote Reply
Re: Simple Answers Series: Rolling Resistance. [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Short answer: probably use road pressures on asphalt tracks. /Quote

That was my thought. My only concern is rolling the tire in the turns. I have yet to experience it, but I would prefer not too. I'll have to experiment with some lower pressures. I have been currently running 120 front and back simply because that my coach recommended. It is off season now time to pursue some marginal gains!

Trackie

Quote Reply
Re: Simple Answers Series: Rolling Resistance. [KrispyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KrispyK wrote:

That was my thought. My only concern is rolling the tire in the turns.

I think that's unlikely. I've ridden 90PSI (180lbs) on 43 degree banking doing madison. Never the slightest hint of a problem.

The banking does increase the effective weight of the bike/rider in the turns, though. You get accelerated down into the track. So that might adjust the pressure upwards a bit vs. road. 120 may not be far off optimal.
Quote Reply