Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Show me your half iron simulation
Quote | Reply
Tomorrow I'm planning:

3000 yd swim as 500 WU--500 Drill--4x500 a bit above race pace (probably ~7:00 with 15 sec rest)

2:00 bike at a bit above race goal (Polar Bear on TrainerRoad, a workout I've done well at before).

8 mile run off the bike.

Any suggestions for improvements? Goal race is St. George in four weeks.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your half iron simulation [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be more inclined to do a 2 hour ride with the last hour at racepace then 5x1mile at racepace run with 1min walk recovery

What you're suggesting sounds like a pretty intense session. I'd need a week to recover from that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2-2.5 hr bike: 15 min wu/wd, 3 x 20 min blocks at race pace, 10-15 min recovery between.

90 min run off the bike, 6 x 1 mile efforts at race pace.

Do the swim another day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
Tomorrow I'm planning:

3000 yd swim as 500 WU--500 Drill--4x500 a bit above race pace (probably ~7:00 with 15 sec rest)

2:00 bike at a bit above race goal (Polar Bear on TrainerRoad, a workout I've done well at before).

8 mile run off the bike.

I think it's a great session. People are very anal about bike/run bricks, few do swim/bike bricks, which are arguably more important. And even fewer do actual race simulations. Important if you want to gauge where you're at.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your half iron simulation [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
CCF wrote:
Tomorrow I'm planning:

8 mile run off the bike.

I think it's a great session. People are very anal about bike/run bricks, few do swim/bike bricks, which are arguably more important. And even fewer do actual race simulations. Important if you want to gauge where you're at.

I agree. I also think people tend to overestimate their nutrition tests. I think it's likely that people often get up, eat breakfast (possiblity larger than normal because they're doing a big training day), then hop on the bike one or two hours later and immediately start ingesting 250-400 cals per hour. Finish the ride, do a quick brick, feel great, and say 'hey, my nutrition plan is dialed!'.

The reality is that on race day, you'll likely finish breakfast 2-3 hours before the gun, maybe have a gel at swim start, and then do a taxing swim before starting your nutrition on the bike. That is a very different scenario.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like it! That looks like a super fun training day to me. Let us know how it goes - I'm also doing St. George and might copy your idea because I totally screwed up nutrition this weekend in Oceanside and was starving all throughout the latter half of the bike!
Last edited by: daswafford: Apr 9, 18 23:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The polar bear brick is such a good session, but I am not looking forward to the one I have coming up on Sunday.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that looks good, but I don't think you need to run 8 miles off the bike. Do 5 at race pace or a little faster, just making sure your nutrition and pacing on bike and run is dialed. Also, if it was me I would cut the swim down to 1-1.5k, just the race paced 500s.
Quote Reply