Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Show me your 1 X ?? build
Quote | Reply
There seems to be more and more people doing 1 X ?? (1 X 10 / 1 X 11) builds these days and it would be great to see how people have gone about their builds. I would like to see a picture (ST approved of course) of the bike and a close up picture of the front drivetrain area and any mods they have done on the front end (aerobars/drop bars and shifters)

I am currently doing a build and will post pictures shortly as my new front ring should be here in the next week or so but wanted to get the bike rolling so to speak.

Look forward to seeing what people have done that have gone down this road.
Last edited by: BMANX: Oct 31, 15 8:20
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto. And if you have a 10 speed Shimano SGX-B 53 chainring on an Ultegra crank, can you get a 52 narrow-wide chainring and chain without changing the crank? It doesn't seem worthwhile if you have to change everything over to SRAM.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sure you can get ring for your set up and then that would all you would need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 1x build is a P5 with sram x-sync 54t chain ring on a sram srm powermeter. DA Di2 rear derailleur and the 1-button shifters on the extensions. Will add cat-eye buttons on right magura brake lever for additional shifting. Currently riding a 11-28 cassette, and don't think I will go any bigger than that. Then I'll just use a regular setup when I need smaller gears on one of my other bikes. Only have one ride on it so far, but I like the simplicity of the setup.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [Jensentri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would love to see a picture when you have time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It won't be too long before people look at having a double chainring like they look at having a triple chainring right now. You get a good range, even for hilly areas, with a 52 + 11-36.

That said, I'm on a 52/11-28 11sp on my road bike, and have a 52-16 single speed (1x1 setup?), and a 1x11 on my cx setup, though I can't remember the ratios on that at the moment. My tri bike still has a standard setup, as does my mtb for now, but it seems like just about every high end mtb is a 1x11 setup. But I don't ride it enough to justify the upgrade cost.

Unless you live in the front range or the dolomites, I don't see any reason to have two chainrings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
May I jump in with a question?

I have a 650-wheel bike ( 1999 Cannondale Multisport 2000).
I bought it without a drive train, and just swapped over some parts so I could ride it in a tri this summer.The chain is too short, and the shifter/rear der. apparently are not a perfect match (said the LBS when I took it in for a wheel true) So, I figure a proper setup is needed...

If I were to switch over to a 1x10/11 system, would the wheel size affect my cassette choice? I have been told that the smaller wheels , in essence, equal a compact crank. I ride in an area of flats and hills.Current crankset is shimano 6500. If the current crank could be used, I would need - narrow-wide chain ring, new rear derailleur, new chain, and new cassette... Correct?

thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [sixt3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Use this setup on my first tri. 1x10 with Sram Force der (normal, not cx1), sram rival shifter, sram x-sync 44t chainring and 11-25 cassette.
Switch to sram red Quarq since the picture.That's my "light" bike, I have a tri bike too but not 1x
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: gabbiev: Oct 31, 15 16:14
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow that is a nice collection.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Posted before, but here it is again.

Cervelo P5-6, 54 x-sync chainring, Force 22 RD (not clutch), Sram 11-32 cassettes, FD mount removed, just one shifter.

So far very happy. I will run a smaller cassette for some of my flat TTs.

Very similar gear range to my 53/39 11/25 setup.

Last edited by: Orbilius: Nov 1, 15 7:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was wondering why the 1x is just now gaining traction for road as the technology itself appears to have been around awhile. Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runguy wrote:
Was wondering why the 1x is just now gaining traction for road as the technology itself appears to have been around awhile. Any ideas?

Availability of 11 speed cassettes which help reduce the problem of overly large gaps between gears, plus the availability of parts such as clutch rear derailleurs and special chainrings designed to prevent chain drop.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you remove the front chain ring are you replacing both with one that corrects the centerline? When I changed my mountain bike over this was the method and it works well. I am concerned about cross chaing when in the big rear chain ring.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [nrfosnaugh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The cranks that I am using have a removable spider so when I do the change to the single spiderless chainring it places it right between the small and large rings and improves the chainline from just slapping on a new ring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is the set up on my mtn bike...SRAM XO. Unfortunately my tri bike does not. I am thinking of trying the Wolf Tooth no drop 52 tooth ring with an 11-26 rear cassette.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [nrfosnaugh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm waiting for AB to release the 52t version of this one :

http://www.absoluteblack.cc/aero-sram-direct-mount-oval-criterium-chainring/

To put on my black BMC, should be nice
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [Orbilius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, nice setup!

Sram X Sync 52t ring + 6870 RD GS + 11-32 cassette. Was good at Louisville but in hindsight a 50t might've been a better choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How safe is the "1x" with the special chain ring?
Is it 100%? Has anyone experienced a dropped chain?

My anecdotal experience with "normal" single rings on smooth roads is ~a couple of chain drops per hour of riding, if I don't shift in a very specific way (slow soft pedaling until the shift is completed). So definitely not race-worthy.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [Nicko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zero drops. Well, with this chainring I did drop once but it was b/c I was going very slow and went over a speed bump and didn't have my feet in shoes (was right out of T1). Was easy to put back on and didn't lose much.
Quote Reply
Re: Show me your 1 X ?? build [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great to hear that! I am actually in the process of building a 1x11 p5 also. My question is about chainline. Did you have to align your crankset or chainring in a ceratin way? Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When looking for dropped chain data, a good question to ask is whether they're running a regular RD, or a clutch type RD.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think a good rule of thumb is have one of the following: wide narrow front ring, or clutch RD. I opted for the x-sync and standard RD due to the higher drivetrain friction of the clutch RD. Although I haven't done too many rides on it, I have ridden on some rough stuff without issue.
Quote Reply

Prev Next