Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shout out for Redman Triathlon
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to provide a few groups on the Redman Triathlon in Oklahoma City after having a really super experience this past weekend. For those of you reasonably close to Oklahoma City or looking for a reason to visit -- there are quite a few actually -- this is really one of the best triathlon experiences I've had and, at least to me, captures the spirit of community many say is lost from triathlon today.

The race itself is incredibly well organized. After 15 years, this team - Friends of Multisport - really has it down to a science. From registration to packet pick up, participants receive a steady stream of communications, letting them know what to expect. During packet pick up, all racers must participate in a quick race briefing before receiving their ticket to continue with pickup. Pickup is quick, friendly and efficient - you get your bracelet, swim cap, t-shirt (separate from your finisher's shirt), non-returnable (awesome!) timing chip, a backpack, steel water bottle, car cup coaster, sticker and probably other stuff I can't recall for your entry fee -- a considerably lower fee than a certain other company charges for a race. The swim course is marked, open and monitored for two days before pick up for swimmers to get a sense of Lake Hefner.

On race day, the staff communicated quickly and decisively - important this year due to high winds causing a swim cancellation. Despite the inclement weather, the bike/run adjustment went off at a slightly later start. The rain, wind, and eventually heat and humidity did nothing to dampen the spirits and enthusiasm of the volunteers at every aid station. Race officials were out in abundance on the course and seemed to be handing out penalties using good discretion the whole length of the bike course. While smaller than Ironman stations, I found the aid stations better stocked than most IM branded races. The Redman branded sponges on the run were plentiful, cold, and perfectly sized to stuff in your tri suit.

Real kudos to the race team for managing more than five separate races - 140.6, 70.3, Olympic, and Sprint races - plus aquabike and relay versions of every distance on the same course. In some local races finishers' medals are "catchall" with all the distances crammed on the medal or medal ribbon - for Redman, each distance had a distinct medal and the team managed to give each athlete the correct medal. Pretty impressive - and for those who make a big deal of medals, it's nice as a first time 140.6 or 703 to have a medal that differentiates from the guys who do the Sprint races.

Having spent more money than I care to consider on IM branded races - and don't get me wrong, I love them -- this race was a truly perfect marriage of local sensibilities, community, and friendliness with a truly professional, top notch race experience.

Not coming from OKC, I can recommend it as a great place to visit. It's friendly, has more than its share of no kidding great restaurants, bars, and one of the best vinyl record stores west of NYC.
Quote Reply
Re: Shout out for Redman Triathlon [globetrotterjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done Redman 3 times and am always impressed with the way the race was run.
Quote Reply
Re: Shout out for Redman Triathlon [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I've done Redman 3 times and am always impressed with the way the race was run.

Same here. It is a great race.
Quote Reply