Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Should we ban the girls?
Quote | Reply
The Women's Sport Trust tweeted: "We applaud the Professional Darts Corporation moving with the times and deciding to no longer use walk-on-girls. Motor racing, boxing and cycling... your move."

http://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-42851554

Ad Muncher
Quote Reply
Re: Should we ban the girls? [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw a good documentary about the Tour de France one time and it spent a long time interviewing some of the podium girls. They seemed thoroughly nice and it wasn't at all exploitative or seedy.

This puritanical rage that is sweeping the world at the moment is not healthy. There were a few things that had clearly gone beyond any acceptable limits and a few people that will rightly get trashed but let's not lose too much joy and beauty as collateral damage.
Quote Reply
Re: Should we ban the girls? [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agree.. the world is getting dumber by the second.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
The Women's Sport Trust tweeted: "We applaud the Professional Darts Corporation moving with the times and deciding to no longer use walk-on-girls. Motor racing, boxing and cycling... your move."

Ad Muncher

Join the petition to get them back ;

https://www.change.org/...-keep-women-in-a-job
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like a decision best left up to women...

If most women find these roles to be demeaning or harmful to their pursuit of equality, then we should probably do away with them. Given that podium girls serve (seemingly) no purpose other than to be eye-candy for men, we (men) don't actually have any compelling argument for keeping them around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My controversial hot take:

Darts is not a "Sport". Its a hobby or pastime. If a fat, drunk person can do it with a cigarette in their hand, its not a sport. See also, bowling.

regarding the OPP, the podium presenters should be local kids or charming puppies.
Quote Reply
Re: Should we ban the girls? [Louie Cayedito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Louie Cayedito wrote:
If most women find these roles to be demeaning or harmful to their pursuit of equality, then we should probably do away with them. Given that podium girls serve (seemingly) no purpose other than to be eye-candy for men, we (men) don't actually have any compelling argument for keeping them around.
This.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Should we ban the girls? [moonmonkey02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
moonmonkey02 wrote:
softrun wrote:

Ad Muncher

Join the petition to get them back ;

https://www.change.org/...-keep-women-in-a-job

Signed by me, no harm in this, Im sure the women doing it are happy and earning good money doing it.
Quote Reply
Re: Should we ban the girls? [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darts is not a "Sport". Its a hobby or pastime. If a fat, drunk person can do it with a cigarette in their hand, its not a sport. See also, bowling. //

Ha, you just described John Daley, so throw golf in there as not a sport too!!! And most motor car sports, the ones where fathers race sons and daughters..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Louie Cayedito wrote:

Totally! The only thing I'd add is that it's entirely feasible that even members of the objectified/persecuted group can be active or unwitting participants in its promotion. For instance, there are anecdotes of black police officers being even more violent and less tolerant with black suspects than white officers. Another example is outspoken female critics of the women's march on Washington last year.

Really though. Ring girls, cheerleaders, podium girls....aside from providing employment opportunities to those individuals, it's difficult to justify their purpose in sport or in this sociological experiment we're living in.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
elf6c wrote:
the podium presenters should be local kids or charming puppies.

There's ALWAYS a place for puppies!

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some riders used to drink and smoke during the early Tour De Frances
Quote Reply
Re: Should we ban the girls? [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
elf6c wrote:
the podium presenters should be local kids or charming puppies.

There's ALWAYS a place for puppies!

My cat would like to have a word with you. He's DONE with puppies.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathlon is not immune:

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Louie Cayedito wrote:

Or better yet "the" women. They are not forced against their will for it, they are compensated for their time like any other job. It's not like we as a people don't have bigger issues to deal with in our own individual countries and the world.
Quote Reply
Re: Should we ban the girls? [Troy B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Troy B wrote:
Louie Cayedito wrote:

Or better yet "the" women. They are not forced against their will for it, they are compensated for their time like any other job. It's not like we as a people don't have bigger issues to deal with in our own individual countries and the world.

Right, except we can deal with those issues and this issue. Also, it's not whether they are forced or fairly compensated. it's a bout what it says about us as a society, and also what it says to young impressionable females.
Quote Reply
Re: Should we ban the girls? [Troy B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the very least I find it weird watching the TDF and seeing the podium girls kissing the jersey winner at each stage. I would be ok if they got rid of that tradition.

Troy B wrote:

If I paid a Patriots fan to run through Philly deflating footballs I think it is still ok for Patriots fans to be bothered by that (sorry if you are not from America and don't get that reference, but if there is one group of people I am not concerned about offending it is Patriots fans so I used that example). I do not agree that because a person accepts money to do something demeaning, the fact that they did so willingly and were compensated makes the act no longer demeaning. You could make the case however that podium girls are not doing something demeaning, but that does not seem to be your argument.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's hard to argue that Sagan's actions here aren't at least partially as a result of the objectification of the role itself. We don't have any reports of a young Sagan otherwise going around the streets groping women, yet here we are. He's matured quite a bit since this happened, but in this moment in time, she's an object to him.

Last edited by: timbasile: Jan 28, 18 16:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the TDF should do away with podium girls. It objectifies women and most of them look uncomfortable being there. The whole spectacle comes across forced and awkward. It sends the wrong message to both women and men.

I can appreciate their looks, but again it’s not right nor does it set a good example. There are far too many women who’s entire existence is wrapped around their physical appearance, which is sad.
Quote Reply
Re: Should we ban the girls? [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why ban podium girls at men's races? If we want equality, and yes we do, let's introduce podium boys at women's races instead.

Edit: 35 years using computers and I still can't touch-type.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Jan 28, 18 16:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
I think the TDF should do away with podium girls. It objectifies women and most of them look uncomfortable being there.

Look uncomfortable being there? Sounds like a serious case of male guilt.

That is a sought after job. Of course you probably sense discomfort in Miss America contestants.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
I think the TDF should do away with podium girls. It objectifies women and most of them look uncomfortable being there. The whole spectacle comes across forced and awkward. It sends the wrong message to both women and men.

I can appreciate their looks, but again it’s not right nor does it set a good example. There are far too many women who’s entire existence is wrapped around their physical appearance, which is sad.

x2 on this.

The podium girls serve no function. Get some local kids from the local bike club or soccer club to hand out awards. If you have the podium girls and cheerleaders and other such non functional eye candy jobs, there will always be people who step up to take them. Especially given that the TdF basically devalues women cyclists with a pretty lightweight women's set of stages can't see a good reason to keep podium girls around when women cyclists can't even get a fair shake at the sport's big events.
Quote Reply
Re: Should we ban the girls? [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
Of course you probably sense discomfort in Miss America contestants.

Definitely. The few times I've tried to watch it's cringe-worthy.
Quote Reply
Re: Should we ban the girls? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lets "ban" the "men" who think others dont need or want of like or whatever the podium "girls"
Quote Reply
Re: Should we ban the girls? [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
lets "ban" the "men" who think others dont need or want of like or whatever the podium "girls"

I have no idea what this means. Are we talking about transgender now?
Quote Reply

Prev Next