Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [white wizzard] [ In reply to ]

Dude, you are way extreme. I have certainly seen into a window of your character: judgmental and unempathetic.

The kid screwed up badly - no doubt, but you have equated him to Bernie Madoff? And you give him zero credit for making amends? I hope you never mess up and get held to your own standards.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [Francois] [ In reply to ]

Francois wrote:
Your only chance for redemption is to post a picture of you on your bike in your living room
to let the slowtwitch armchair fitters make fun of the decoration, the curtains, the dead plants, your
cat, your dog, and the color of your couch.

+1. If you do this, I will forgive you.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [ In reply to ]

I love how the ST community is acting like judge, jury and executioner for this kid after reading a few paragraphs of details on a message board. Jumping to conclusions like 'well if he cheated here he must have cheated to qualify', and 'he didn't admit to cheating until he was caught red handed'.

I don't know triathlon1989 any more than all of you do (minus his friend), and being that I'm not God or on the ethics/competition board of WTC I don't understand the need to cast aspersions and judge him. He cheated. He was caught. At some point--before or after being caught--he admitted his guilt. He's put himself out there on this forum, which was completely unnecessary as he doesn't answer to any of us.

Good on you for for coming clean, Mike, lesson learned and at your age I'm not sure how things would have shaken out had I been in the same situation. My suggestion is don't beat yourself up over this; you cheated, yes, and I'd imagine you'll pay for it with some sort of ban from WTC racing, but it sounds like you've truly learned your lesson and will be stronger for it in the future.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]

Wow, I really did miss Slowtwitch....!

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [callmefierce] [ In reply to ]

Speaking of cheating...I check ebay every now and again to see if people are selling their finisher medals...check the description on this one.

http://www.ebay.com/...;hash=item20bd87ea2a

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]

The Guardian wrote:
Dude, you are way extreme. I have certainly seen into a window of your character: judgmental and unempathetic.

The kid screwed up badly - no doubt, but you have equated him to Bernie Madoff? And you give him zero credit for making amends? I hope you never mess up and get held to your own standards.

Not extreme at all. The world is full of horribly dishonest people who will shamelessly screw over anybody they can for their own personal gain, especially when they think they won't get busted.

Do you read the news? Are you at all paying attention to what goes on in the world?

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [elecengrman] [ In reply to ]

elecengrman wrote:
Speaking of cheating...I check ebay every now and again to see if people are selling their finisher medals...check the description on this one.

OK, I don't get it - why would somebody sell a medal, and who would buy it? Finman? I know I'm being totally stupid here, but I just don't get it.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [ericM35-39] [ In reply to ]

ericM35-39 wrote:
bgannon wrote:
bad on you for cheating, but admitting it takes HUGE balls like everyone said before.

no, not cheating and gutting it out to the finish when you are feeling like crap takes huge balls. In other words, doing the right thing when nobody is watching. This is called integrity. This is called honesty. Admitting it takes nothing.

As a first year triathlete I could see how you might get this confused.

Good points.

Personally I had a bad triathlon 'jouney' this year with a hard goal of KQ at IMWI this year. My race was an epic worst despite strong training, coaching etc. My first mile off the bike on the run course was agony and it got worse. I ended up finishing almost exactly 2 hours slower on the run than goal pace and was definitely in the darkest of places. It sucked balls for approximately 100% of it. I gutted it out despite losing 14lbs (weigh 160)

At Wisconsin there are some issues with the run course imho.... specifically there are some turnarounds that do NOT have timing mats. A female pro was discussing how she saw some people (AGers) cut the out and back (ala NEWBZ style) which made her mad.

The funny thing is as bad as that fucking run was it never even occurred to me to do something like that. I was like "why would you do that??"

Yup the disappointment was pretty bad during and after that race, but I did sleep well that night.

Honestly though, I'm 41 and have a little life experience. I definitely would cut some slack to a 22 yo (yes he gets a DQ and other punishment), but when I was 22 I did some really dumb stuff as well.

I can understand how it happened and the pressures he felt.

Probably I will get flamed for being forgiving or understanding to the guy, but I don't really care and I'm old enough to know people make mistakes....

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Last edited by: Fred Doucette: Oct 12, 11 13:32

white wizzard wrote:
The Guardian wrote:

Not extreme at all. The world is full of horribly dishonest people who will shamelessly screw over anybody they can for their own personal gain, especially when they think they won't get busted.

Do you read the news? Are you at all paying attention to what goes on in the world?

What a wonderful attitude. Must be a real joy to spend any time in your company.

If you judge anyone who's done something for their own personal gain, I guess when you're done getting rid of all these
bad people, you'll be left all alone with Jesus and the Dalai Lama.

white wizzard wrote:

And the world is also full of horribly self righteous insufferable asses who will shamelessly pile on others to make themselves look and feel superior.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [triathlon1989] [ In reply to ]

triathlon1989 wrote:
bgannon wrote:
bad on you for cheating, but admitting it takes HUGE balls like everyone said before. Explaining it in that context doesnt excuse what happened but its easy to see what led you to the poor choice...

along with your email to WTC, maybe you should mail back your finisher medal and t shirt/finisher schwag you received.....just saying...... just an idea.....

i do have to ask as a first year triathlete....cheating aside, an honest question....you made it to KONA!!!! how of all the palces could you skip the ENRGY LAB....i know its painful but man thats like going to paris and not seeing the eiffel tower!!

By losing sight of what this sport is about and having no personal reason to continue on through the pain and suffering like a real sincere triathlete (or person) who is racing for personal accomplishment or a higher goal....In my mind I already let everyone down and just wanted to get home.

I applaud you for coming clean.
You know you fucked up. You can learn from this and it will eventually be a positive in your life if you let it.

I am in my 6th year of tri's and am a 'fringe' player at best to get into Kona. I had a very bad race year from the point of enjoyment and my 'A' race was a disaster. I was caught up in the 'get to Kona' thingy. It was a mistake and I have reassesed my goals.

*I* thought that THE GOAL was Kona, maybe it is for some, but for me it really is something else.

To be honest my guess is that when the chips are down next time in a race I bet you will walk it through to the end and geet more long-term joy out of it than you thought you could.

Accept that the next few months are going to be hard. Continue to own the mistake and see what positives you can make out of it in the future.

Good luck.

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [sniper100] [ In reply to ]

I like most people because most people are honest and good and I assume they are until they prove me wrong. You would probably like me.

BUT, I've seen some really bad behavior in my days and have been personally screwed over by some unsavory people so I do not tolerate dishonesty and poor integrity and I don't readily trust anyone again who has demonstrated such traits.

There are many scientific studies done which show that lying, dishonesty, and cheating become easier and easier with practice and eventually become habitual if left unchecked. I am not saying this is the case here but it is good policy not to trust anyone who is a known cheat.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [Dirty Bottles] [ In reply to ]

Haha, now I am being judged by all these people who believe I shouldn't be judging Mr Kona course cutter. But none of you have met me?

I love the irony!!

s/b a WTF-WTF do you care so much?
Last edited by: triLA: Oct 12, 11 13:46

Francois wrote:
If you judge anyone who's done something for their own personal gain, I guess when you're done getting rid of all these

No. CHEATED for their own personal gain. Not just "done something". Understand the difference? McFly?

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [Travis R] [ In reply to ]

this guy probably would ... http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/...sloan_n_1006668.html

Travis R wrote:
elecengrman wrote:

OK, I don't get it - why would somebody sell a medal, and who would buy it? Finman? I know I'm being totally stupid here, but I just don't get it.

So which is it? Do us all a favor and stop posting. You're really making yourself look more and more foolish.

white wizzard wrote:

I Iike most people because most people are honest and good and I assume they are until they prove me wrong. You would probably like me.

Quote:
white wizzard

I do understand the difference Torquemada.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [triathlon1989] [ In reply to ]

Thanks for stepping up. All the haters can suck it. You qualified to get to Kona. You just made a ridiculously bad decision under pressure. It happens. I have seen a pro cut the course (Hawaii 70.3 '10) and admit to this day that it was a "mistake". Whatever gets handed down it sounds like you've accepted that you'll lube up and take it. In time this thread will die and everyone will move on. At least you got your 15 out of it.

white wizzard wrote:
Francois wrote:

No. CHEATED for their own personal gain. Not just "done something". Understand the difference? McFly?

So...you've been registered for a day. You have 10 posts, all in this thread, and most of them haranguing other people and being insufferably smug and self righteous.

Welcome to ST. Enjoy your stay. Maybe someday in the far distant future you can actually contribute something of value to the forums.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]

stillrollin wrote:
So which is it? Do us all a favor and stop posting. You're really making yourself look more and more foolish.

white wizzard wrote:

I Iike most people because most people are honest and good and I assume they are until they prove me wrong. You would probably like me.

Quote:
white wizzard

Let me clarify for you as you seem to need help. There are a very large number of people in the world. Most of them are good but a minority are bad but even a minority of a very large number is a lot of people. Not to hard to understand, is it?

So you don't trust anyone who has ever lied? Well then you can't trust me, or really anyone including yourself. Everyone lies. Its what people do. What you are doing is heaping all wrongs you feel people have done to you onto this kid. You've seen bad behavior and have been screwed over by people, but the worst part is that you now have let this kids actions put you right back into that place where you felt that vulnerability, so you and white wizzard (or sniper100, whoever I am responding too) actually have some apologizing to yourself you should be doing. You've been living the lie that people shouldn't lie and cheat, but they do. How much have you cheated yourself out of by believing that thought? How many times have you robbed yourself of peace and happiness and given yourself stress and anxiety over something that happened years ago and probably only happened once? How ever many times you were cheated and lied too I am willing to bet you have relived it hundreds of more times. Try this...let go of the thought that these things shouldn't happen, accept that they do. Don't worry about what another person is doing, its not your business. Just worry about your business.

hey, hey, hey, don't forget- Stan Yablonsky never cold cocked no woman.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [Devlin] [ In reply to ]

Devlin wrote:
white wizzard wrote:
Francois wrote:

So...you've been registered for a day. You have 10 posts, all in this thread, and most of them haranguing other people and being insufferably smug and self righteous.

Welcome to ST. Enjoy your stay. Maybe someday in the far distant future you can actually contribute something of value to the forums.

John

I used to be on here a long time ago but got out of the sport. My email changed so had to reregister.

I was trying to get info about the Kona race and stumbled on this. I was a little pissed that people were patting a course cutter on the back for admitting it only AFTER he got caught so I commented about that.

In true slowtwitch fashion the whole thing turned on me which I find hysterical because that's the way it was in the old days.

Sure, I may be being a bit extreme but it's the effin INTERNET! It is where we can cut the social niceties and say what we really feel.

Of come on now people, Everyone knows there are various levels of dishonesty.

Why is everyone so concrete?

I will leave you all be now.

Francois, always liked you dude. You funny.

Prev Next