Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [Toby Tri] [ In reply to ]

Toby Tri wrote:
kabacrew wrote:
triathlon1989 wrote:
For those of you wondering I will not be going back to Kona...its a privilege that I feel that I was given and did not appreciate. To think people work their whole lives to get where I have gone and I squandered it away.

Let someone else have my spot...if and when I qualify I will let you all know of the deserving person that gets my roll-down.

Also I did not know about this forum and already admitted this to my family, coach and close supporters before this. I could not live any longer with not admitting it. Me posting here is simply a product of me knowing this thread existed and not a catalyst to my confession.

-Mike

Damn I was having a bad day until I read this thread. Now all I can say is "at least I'm not you!"

For all of the athletes over the years who struggled to beat the midnight cutoff.... I say in honor of them.... FUCK YOU!

Which one is you?

The one with the beard. Aren't you just the righteous opportunist. Do you also use bathroom stall graffiti to let others know that Jesus loves them?

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [marcag] [ In reply to ]

marcag wrote:
Devlin wrote:

You do the crime, you do the time. Tripping/pass interference have clearly delineated penalties and consequences.

Agreed. And the 'time'/penalties should be well defined.

It should be based on whether the crime was premeditated (which I don't believe it was) and the severity of the crime.
In this case he cheated mostly himself and 1 spot to anyone who finished behind him. He also cheated WTC out of a T-shirt.

I suspect he has suffered more in the last 12hours than anyone else. Admission to a forum is easy. Admitting it to family and friends must be brutal.

Does WTC have a clearly delineated penalty ? If the TDF bans for 2 years for doping and taking someone else's livelihood (prize money) away, what should the ban be here ? Capital punishment ?

Nah, I'm pretty much ok with what WTC decides.

Whether or not you believe that he did confess because he was about to be "found out", or had already done so, he still has to face family and friends. That's harsh.

If WTC says 1 year, or whatever, I'm ok with it.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [nickwisconsin] [ In reply to ]

I have no clue who the guy is, where he lives, zero, nadda, nothing.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [SpeedRacer1] [ In reply to ]

I hope you all understand that I have and will continue to learn from this experience and I wish there was a better way for me to prove it to you. Whether or not WTC gives me a ban, penalty or anything else is up to them, but as mentioned earlier I have personally banned myself from Kona for AT LEAST the next 5 years.

This past year I honestly and fully completed 2 ironman races (Placid and Wales) and was not personally fulfilled as it was a painful experience that I was doing to maintain others expectation. During these last two months even the thought of a training ride was torture to me….I was heading down a bad path. If there is anything that can be learned from this (for those of you planning on doing your first ironman) PLEASE be doing it for yourself. If not you will be wasting a ton of time and going through a ton of pain for nothing as I have. This is an individual sport and I completely lost sight of that and look where it has gotten me.

Thanks to this incident the pressures to impress my supporters (family) is lifted and if and when I decide to return to Ironman it will be because I want to…not for them (unless WTC says otherwise).

With that being said I place NO blame on anyone else and this decision was entirely my own. Thank you again for those that responded to this thread and most of all to the woman I met that posted this thread…I think I will finally be able to sleep a night.

P.S.

SpeedRacer1 wrote:

Dude, you call yourseld Speed Racer and know nothing about Speed Racer. This is more offensive than cutting the Energy Lab.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.

SpeedRacer1 wrote:

I think you protest too much.

http://www.speedracer.com/...ter.asp?s=speedRacer

http://www.speedracer.com/...aracter.asp?s=racerX

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [nickwisconsin] [ In reply to ]

nickwisconsin wrote:
SpeedRacer1 wrote:

I think you protest too much.

http://www.speedracer.com/...ter.asp?s=speedRacer

http://www.speedracer.com/...aracter.asp?s=racerX

Hopefully I'm not the only one who picked up that reference when you first said it...sadly I feel I am

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [triathlon1989] [ In reply to ]

bad on you for cheating, but admitting it takes HUGE balls like everyone said before. Explaining it in that context doesnt excuse what happened but its easy to see what led you to the poor choice...

along with your email to WTC, maybe you should mail back your finisher medal and t shirt/finisher schwag you received.....just saying...... just an idea.....

i do have to ask as a first year triathlete....cheating aside, an honest question....you made it to KONA!!!! how of all the palces could you skip the ENRGY LAB....i know its painful but man thats like going to paris and not seeing the eiffel tower!!
Last edited by: bgannon: Oct 12, 11 12:07

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [csturgeon] [ In reply to ]

csturgeon wrote:
Hopefully I'm not the only one who picked up that reference when you first said it...sadly I feel I am

I was hiding in the trunk with Spritle and Chim-chim so I couldn't say anything. Sorry.
Last edited by: kamakazitp: Oct 12, 11 12:11

Well, I say when/if you race Kona again. When you get to the spot you cut the course you do 5 push ups 1 for each mile cut short, to pay back the triathlon gods of pain.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [bgannon] [ In reply to ]

bgannon wrote:
bad on you for cheating, but admitting it takes HUGE balls like everyone said before.

no, not cheating and gutting it out to the finish when you are feeling like crap takes huge balls. In other words, doing the right thing when nobody is watching. This is called integrity. This is called honesty. Admitting it takes nothing.

As a first year triathlete I could see how you might get this confused.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [csturgeon] [ In reply to ]

I did as well, big fan when I was a kid. Still think of the Mammoth Car whenever I see trucks on the highway pulling two trailers.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [alligatorCAN] [ In reply to ]

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [ericM35-39] [ In reply to ]

thank you for the clarification. make no mistake about myself i would rather chew off my leg along the course then short the course.
Last edited by: bgannon: Oct 12, 11 12:28

Good job in fessing up and coming clean, big first step and not an easy one to take as far as trying to make things right but you took it nonetheless. I hope you continue to learn from it as you move on.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

bgannon wrote:
make no mistake about myself i would rather chew off my leg along the course then shorten it.

Wouldn't chewing your leg off on course necessarily shorten it?

Re: Should this be a DQ or DNF at Kona? [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]

see above edits haha.

bgannon wrote:
bad on you for cheating, but admitting it takes HUGE balls like everyone said before. Explaining it in that context doesnt excuse what happened but its easy to see what led you to the poor choice...

along with your email to WTC, maybe you should mail back your finisher medal and t shirt/finisher schwag you received.....just saying...... just an idea.....

i do have to ask as a first year triathlete....cheating aside, an honest question....you made it to KONA!!!! how of all the palces could you skip the ENRGY LAB....i know its painful but man thats like going to paris and not seeing the eiffel tower!!

By losing sight of what this sport is about and having no personal reason to continue on through the pain and suffering like a real sincere triathlete (or person) who is racing for personal accomplishment or a higher goal....In my mind I already let everyone down and just wanted to get home.

It would cause his leg to dangle not unlike that modifier.

Goosedog wrote:
mgalluzz wrote:

Despite what you and others might think, the triathlon world does not revolve around slowtwitch.

Yet, this young man was drawn here with the intensity of a black hole. I suggest the triathlon world does revolve around slowtwich. It just doesn't know it until it is too late.

Now THAT'S funny. Don't kid yourself. While this is a cute place to share advice and stories, the OVERWHELMING majority of people who participate in triathlons don't even know this place exists.

Your only chance for redemption is to post a picture of you on your bike in your living room
to let the slowtwitch armchair fitters make fun of the decoration, the curtains, the dead plants, your
cat, your dog, and the color of your couch.

Well since you are still around, I'm curious about the psychology of it. Who were you trying to get approval from the most? Mom, dad, peers?

How long has this been going on? Tee-Ball, soccer, schooling?

Any older siblings?

Any younger siblings?

Shame on you for cheating, congratulations for growing a pair and facing the firing squad. I hope history doesn't repeat itself, you have a long life to live dude, don't f*ck it up again.

Wow!

That really seems genuine. Like everything else in life, learn from your mistake and move on. What's done is done. You screwed up, you owned it now you are a better person than you were Saturday.

Toby Tri wrote:
Goosedog wrote:
mgalluzz wrote:

Despite what you and others might think, the triathlon world does not revolve around slowtwitch.

Yet, this young man was drawn here with the intensity of a black hole. I suggest the triathlon world does revolve around slowtwich. It just doesn't know it until it is too late.

Now THAT'S funny. Don't kid yourself. While this is a cute place to share advice and stories, the OVERWHELMING majority of people who participate in triathlons don't even know this place exists.

Dude.

Toby Tri wrote:

Don't kid YOURself. There are many, many examples of participants in one mainstream culture or another not knowing the origins of the culture or that the epicenter of their chosen endeavor even existed, but that did not stop it from existing, or their world from revolving around it.

Fashion trends emanating from LA. Music radiating from NYC. Punk rock, surf and skate culture, you name it. It all has to start somewhere.

ST is more relevant than you might think in this case. Our publisher and his readers influence the world of triathlon in a big way.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”

Prev Next