Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Should i move up a lane?
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

I swim about 11k/week (3 practices)
I currently Lead the 1:45 LCM lane in my masters practice. For each 100 i am quite consistent coming in @ about 1:37-1:38/100m. So for a 500, i would get at least a good 30s rest on long set days.

The lane above swim @ 1:40 (half of the people have flippers on.. in this lane) , would it more beneficial for me to move up and swim with a more aggressive interval but then i would get the benefit of drafting. To be honest , even though its less rest, i feel like i am not pushing as hard with the draft effect.

Thanks
Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Should i move up a lane? [steve0919] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could do either, just depends on your mindset. Do you like being the big fish in the little pond, or would you thrive being a smaller fish in the ocean??

For me I would move up, and honestly if you think drafting is easier in that lane than leading the other, then they are not swimming fast enough for you. In that case go 2nd in the lane until and if you can take the lead over in it. Often times in those types of lanes, folks will change leaders depending on who is feeling good, and what and how long the set is..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leading the lane is like 5% more difficult than drafting in a faster lane. When the interval in the faster lane is more than 5% faster than your current lane, then moving to the faster lane will be more of a challenge.
That said, why don’t you just try the faster lane a few times and see if your perceived effort is harder or easier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think a great alternative is to move up a lane on particular days and stay in the current lane and lead on other days. (heck even swimming 2nd in the current lane as well) If you are a triathlete, dealing with the draft and not being "in control" of your lane is good for experience and inconsistency of the swim in races. I encourage some of the swimmers in my group to do just that based on their needs, current training level, race schedule etc.

You don't need to push "hard" every day ... SO, periodizing in your swim session load (based on the lane choice) relative to the rest of your training is a great way to think about it.

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Re: Should i move up a lane? [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you're not asking someone to marry you, and you're not buying a house. Moving up a lane doesn't require contracts or commitments. Hell, you can go back in the same practice if it isn't for you.
My suggestion is to go at least once a week until you feel like you're starting each interval recovered. You'll be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have always preferred to lead the lane especially if there's someone behind me drafting, I mean pushing me.

No reason not to try moving up.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Move up, but be polite and respectful about it. Start at the back and usually people will kindly suggest you move in front of them when they see you are constantly finishing on their feet. You probably have the 1:40 pace in you and just have to be in the faster lane to bring it out. Congrats!

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply