Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Should i buy a Peloton?
Quote | Reply
What is everyone's opinion on purchasing a Peloton? I was thinking about buying one for my wife. We already have a KICKR but she thinks the Peloton would be more fun? I have talked to 5 people who all have purchased and they really like but only 1 person was serious triathlete/cyclist so not sure what to really think.

I have always believed riding the trainer on your real bike over a spin bike equals more true results on the road.

Experiences?? Thoughts? Opinions?

Cost is really not a factor.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Should i buy a Peloton? [Greyhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’re essentially buying a fancy piece of gym equipment for a live interactive class. Just buy the digital subscription option and save yourself a large piece of future storage equipment.
Last edited by: TRobTri: Jul 8, 19 15:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don’t forget that you have to buy a 2 year subscription along with the bike, which is around $40 / month.
Quote Reply
Re: Should i buy a Peloton? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife wants the treadmill. I checked with Peloton about just buying the subscription only. They told me it’s not available now — you have to get the treadmill (or bike?) in order to have the live class subscription. Seems odd but that’s what they told me.
Quote Reply
Re: Should i buy a Peloton? [MDSICT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MDSICT wrote:
My wife wants the treadmill. I checked with Peloton about just buying the subscription only. They told me it’s not available now — you have to get the treadmill (or bike?) in order to have the live class subscription. Seems odd but that’s what they told me.

They lied to you (to get a sale) or don’t know their product very well. Just go to App Store and look up the Peloton app and y’all see in the description that live classes are available without buying the bike. Many people do it with no problems at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Should i buy a Peloton? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
MDSICT wrote:

They lied to you (to get a sale) or don’t know their product very well. Just go to App Store and look up the Peloton app and y’all see in the description that live classes are available without buying the bike. Many people do it with no problems at all.

I forgot about the app. The OP should have his wife use the existing trainer with the Peloton app instead of buying an entirely new bike setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look into echelon as well. Much cheaper alternative.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greyhound wrote:
Cost is really not a factor

fucker.

;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Jul 8, 19 15:45
Quote Reply
Re: Should i buy a Peloton? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HAPPY WIFE = HAPPY LIFE!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greyhound wrote:

took me about 25 years to figure that out; but it finally did register. no argument there.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greyhound wrote:

Would she enjoy a week in St Thomas more than a Peloton?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Short answer: if your wife wants one, and you really don't care about the money, just buy it. My guess is she'll like it for some amount of time and you (assuming you're a reasonably hardcore triathlete with structured workouts) won't.

My brother (a hobby jogger) loves his Peloton. So about 18 months ago, I downloaded the iPhone app and gave it a try (using my road bike / Wahoo). I didn't like it. The instructors talking got on my nerves (too much about how beautiful I am inside, etc.). I hated the music catalog (when I do Vo2 intervals I want death metal not pop hits). I could see the experience being better / more integrated with the actual bike vs the app so you can see yourself on the leader-board, etc., but even still it wasn't going to be my thing. I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I also hate exercise classes. So factor that in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They are very good and the whole design and accompanying content is excellent. A few friends have become excellent cyclists on their Pelotons. I rode one for a week at my local YMCA to check it out, and I was very impressed. They are dead silent. The screen and resistance UI are very good.
Quote Reply
Re: Should i buy a Peloton? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question. I have same question about peloton. One additional question or two - can you use Peleton bike in stand alone mode so if I want to do a sufferfest video or just ride and watch a movie without doing an on line spin class I can? And does it feel like a real bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greyhound wrote:

There’s no such thing. It’s all a lie.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Should i buy a Peloton? [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jon wrote:
  • Can you use Peleton bike in stand alone mode so if I want to do a sufferfest video or just ride and watch a movie without doing an on line spin class I can?
  • Does it feel like a real bike?
A: not that I know of. I think it is largely bound to the content screen as a holistic system. You could ride it with the screen off, but it would be the equivalent of a dumb trainer.
B: it feels like a real bike on a trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If she is into spin classes the Peloton is hard to beat.

For cycling training it's still pretty great. The shear mass of a spin bike makes standing on the pedals easier and there are specific classes for training with power.

My YMCA has a few and I'll often chose it over my trainer at home even though I have a power meter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, you can do a "Just Ride" option where screen only shows your metrics. But for TV content, you will obviously need another device
Quote Reply
Re: Should i buy a Peloton? [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jon wrote:
Good question. I have same question about peloton. One additional question or two - can you use Peleton bike in stand alone mode so if I want to do a sufferfest video or just ride and watch a movie without doing an on line spin class I can? And does it feel like a real bike?

1) You can't do stand alone mode to my knowledge, but you can pull up "scenic rides" or something along those lines which are just videos of cool outdoor rides on loop. Can't remember if these are set to music, but could always just turn the volume down.

2) It feels like a real bike to me as long as you dial in your position to roughly equal your existing setup.

Wife and I both really liked our Peleton when we purchased ours. I was of the mindset (and still am) that it's a waste of money, but if you can afford it, like it, and use it, then it's a win! Our use has waned after the first year of ownership though. I was always a sporadic winter user and still am. Wife has kind of stopped riding due to some ankle issues. Complete waste of money now although we did have a pretty good year of ownership.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If cost isn’t a factor, then buy her one.

And then buy ME one.

And a treadmill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
They are very good and the whole design and accompanying content is excellent. A few friends have become excellent cyclists on their Pelotons. I rode one for a week at my local YMCA to check it out, and I was very impressed. They are dead silent. The screen and resistance UI are very good.

I would imagine that the library might have content I'm not aware of, but there's an array of workouts that typical spin style workouts do not address to be an "excellent cyclist".

Lots of the workouts you need in your arsenal aren't very conducive to a fun and interactive "class" environment on a video screen.

You could lump the GCN Show workout videos in that too. Excellent for a boredom busting aerobic session. Even their "random hiit" videos have too much intensity between each "all out" to really tease your anaerobic needs. It's aerobic at heart.

A Peloton can probably make someone a very competent cyclist or triathlete rider. But not excellent.

I wouldn't count using a stationary bike (Peloton, Wattbike, etc) without the classes in my comments here. That's not different than a smart trainer or dumb trainer with power. I'm talking about using the classes.
Quote Reply
Re: Should i buy a Peloton? [TRobTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They do re-purpose as a pretty great clothes horse after a while.
Quote Reply
Re: Should i buy a Peloton? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I would imagine that the library might have content I'm not aware of, but there's an array of workouts that typical spin style workouts do not address to be an "excellent cyclist"...

A Peloton can probably make someone a very competent cyclist or triathlete rider. But not excellent.
There are two broad categories of workouts on Peloton: the ones done by typical spin instructors and the ones led by pros. The cheerleader instructor workouts are fun, but they lack some of the types you would want for holistic development. The workouts by Christian Vande Velde and George Hincapie are/were excellent and are every bit as good (maybe better even, because they comment on the why) as tough and developing workouts you would do anywhere.

CVDV did a bunch of Peloton workouts when he was still a pro with Garmin-Sharp. Unfortunately, those workouts are the ones most hit by the music licensing problem, because the pros used their personal mixes. So, they are kind of thin while they are re-recording. The friends I know have FTPs in the high 200s, all developed on Peloton. Given their ages and limited time constraints, I would put them in the Excellent category in that context-- they would likely beat anyone else they rode against in most situations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We bought one for my wife. We have only had it about six months but she uses it a few times a week. I prefer the trainer and zwift, but she loves the spin classes. It's handy that it's compact enough to live in our family room which makes getting in workouts while the kids are playing easy. It is certainly well built and sturdy. We rode together outside the other day for the first time and her peleton fitness certainly seemed to transfer well enough to the bike. For me the only reason not to get one was the cost as it is certainly not cheap. If that isn't an issue I'd go for it as long as your wife has made the effort to try one out at a local gym a few times to make sure she really likes it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next