Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Should Tim Don not get a wild card to Kona?
Quote | Reply
He didn’t made it to the finish in Denmark. So no official entry for him to Kona. But he is in his last years as a pro, should IM not give this great athlete a free entry to Kona? After his extra ordinary halo come back i think this would give him the respect he deserves.

Just my 2c

Jeroen

Edit: yes, also to Matt Russel, i almost feel embarrassed to not mention him. Ironman should have given both of them a ticket for this year right after last years race. But they still can make up fir this by doing it tomorrow!

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Last edited by: TRIPRO: Aug 19, 18 11:00
Quote Reply
Re: Should Tim Don not get a wild card to Kona? [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was the reason he stopped during the run in Copenhagen?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He most definitely should get a wild card slot. IRONMAN should have offered both him and Matt Russell Wild Card slots, rather than having them push the limits and chase the Kona points around the globe.

Maybe they still will, it's not too late!

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Should Tim Don not get a wild card to Kona? [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes absolutely. If he wants it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't understand why he should even have to qualify. At some level of performance, (one he certainly has reached in his career), guys like that should just get in automatically. Good for him, good for the event, good for the fans.
Last edited by: JoeO: Aug 19, 18 10:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw him pass by on the bike coming out of T1 and I was disappointed he didn't finish..on the race blog they said he looked pretty defeated after he was passed on the bike and couldn't come back and then he progressively faded from there. Of course I am not as disappointed as him. I REALLY wanted to see him do it. :((((((

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, but they are giving it to Ashley
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Aug 19, 18 10:40
Quote Reply
Re: Should Tim Don not get a wild card to Kona? [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
He most definitely should get a wild card slot. IRONMAN should have offered both him and Matt Russell Wild Card slots, rather than having them push the limits and chase the Kona points around the globe.

Maybe they still will, it's not too late!

I would generalize it and say that they should have 2-4 “compassion” or “selection” spots, of which an athlete could apply under certain clearly laid out criteria.

I think you could argue that both Matt and Tim should meet the criteria to toe the start line if it was reasonable and laid out clearly.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Should Tim Don not get a wild card to Kona? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:

Is day 50 in Kona and if so, does everyone have to do deadlifts and squats every mile aid station?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish he would
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes
Quote Reply
Re: Should Tim Don not get a wild card to Kona? [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They give out wildcards?

When and how was/is this decided?

Are there any parameters or can they (WTC?) just dish one out to anyone?

If so, for the sake of what happened to them in the race and before last year I believe they should be given the privilege to race.
Quote Reply
Re: Should Tim Don not get a wild card to Kona? [CU427] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends if Tim wants a wildcard slot, if so then yes.

Im a bit unfamiliar with this though, I take it he'd be racing as a pro?
Quote Reply
Re: Should Tim Don not get a wild card to Kona? [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm my heart says yes, but it would start a myriad of issues sadly. Who decides? What are the criteria? Should all women comming back from pregnancy get a spot this way too etc?

But yeah i really sucks to see him fade and you know he would rock it without that stupid hit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt Russell finished 3rd at IMMT. He currently sits 56th in the men's pro rankings. The commentators at the IMMT video feed said that Matt "should" be in now.

Quote | Reply
According to TriRating, Tim Don is first to miss out, and Matt Russell is 2nd to miss out..........

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Should Tim Don not get a wild card to Kona? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
lacticturkey wrote:

Is day 50 in Kona and if so, does everyone have to do deadlifts and squats every mile aid station?

Rude and sexist....;)

Not sure how to make this pink.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know that Tim would even accept it. From what I've seen/heard out of him and Matt Russell is that they know it's a long path, but it's going to be more rewarding to earn it and truly be back rather than be given a bye back.

I'm going no because I think it turns this into a sideshow that Tim and Matt don't want to be. They want to be competitors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:
He didn’t made it to the finish in Denmark. So no official entry for him to Kona. But he is in his last years as a pro, should IM not give this great athlete a free entry to Kona? After his extra ordinary halo come back i think this would give him the respect he deserves.

Just my 2c

Jeroen

Edit: yes, also to Matt Russel, i almost feel embarrassed to not mention him. Ironman should have given both of them a ticket for this year right after last years race. But they still can make up fir this by doing it tomorrow!

I really like Tim Don, but I don't think the WTC should hand out a wildcard to Tim. If he's not "fully" recovered (as per both results), is it doing him any favor to bring him to the pressure of Kona? I know he's no spring chicken, that it might be his last or second to last chance, but I'd rather see him on the right path and take a chance for next year.

As for Matt Russell, tough call... He clearly performed yesterday. I'd rather see an outlier in KPR give up his spot for Russell instead. While we always claim anything can happen in Kona, history tends to show otherwise (AKA, dark horses are rarely factors).
Quote Reply
Re: Should Tim Don not get a wild card to Kona? [Bosox99104] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bosox99104 wrote:
I don't know that Tim would even accept it. From what I've seen/heard out of him and Matt Russell is that they know it's a long path, but it's going to be more rewarding to earn it and truly be back rather than be given a bye back.

I'm going no because I think it turns this into a sideshow that Tim and Matt don't want to be. They want to be competitors

If any of the 2 would accept it is a different question. The sideshow effect would have been much less if these 2 guys would have gotten those tickets right after last years race. But the gesture could have been made by Ironman, acceptance would be the athlete choice to be made. Tim Don doesn't have too many years left in the tank as a pro I think, so I think just he deserves a good race at Kona. Without the need to try to qualify he might more fit for Kona with just solid training blocks instead of trying to do 2 IM's to get enough points.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Should Tim Don not get a wild card to Kona? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:

If that's true, I find it disgusting!

Paulo Matos
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. And I doubt he wants it. The guy is a freaking beast. So is Matt Russel. “Give” them a spot? Forget that.

Now if they want to make a few bucks parading around and creating a storyline for NBC, I wouldn’t begrudge. But that is all it would be.
Quote Reply
Re: Should Tim Don not get a wild card to Kona? [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
Should all women coming back from pregnancy get a spot this way too etc?

Surprised it took someone so long to mention this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I kinda feel more so for Matt Russell, as it actually happened during the race; on their 'watch' so to speak.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Should Tim Don not get a wild card to Kona? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
I don't understand why he should even have to qualify. At some level of performance, (one he certainly has reached in his career), guys like that should just get in automatically. Good for him, good for the event, good for the fans.

So you think Norman Stadler, for example, should still get a spot with no results required? You'd rather him be in the race than the guy who EARNED his spot? Or should he get a spot when a woman doesn't get a spot?
Quote Reply

Prev Next