Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Should I stock up on rim brake wheels?
Quote | Reply
Have a very nice rim brake road bike (oltre xr4, DA 9100 with hed jet black 5s) that was a gift from my wife, so I am never going to sell it.

I love the setup but am a little tad worried I won't be able to find nice rim brake wheels moving forward (hed jet blacks are a pretty unique product, and if they are discontinued there's no real market equivalent).

Saw that MBS is selling their stock off for pretty cheap pre liquidation so I was wondering if I should grab a set just as a spare? My current wheels are still pretty new though, less than a year old.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I stock up on rim brake wheels? [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t think you need to be concerned. There will be plenty of quality rim brake bike wheels for a long time.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I honestly believe that one day we are all gonna be saying "remember back then, when we all got into that disc-brake trap" ... :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two high level cyclists in our house hold and we are just starting the transition to disc-brakes. We have a number of rim brake wheel sets that my wife and I have been using for various purposes for years.

I just bought my first new bike in a while and it was a Disc Brake bike as are ALL mid to high end Road, Gravel and most Tri bikes now. My wife's next bike will be a Disc bike - once there, we'll be ditching in some way all the rim brake wheel sets. Not sure what to do with them - try and sell them (who would want them??), put them out at the curb as junk, or turn them into garden art??

This conversion does require some other changes - we'll be getting new bike mounts for our Yakima roof rack as the current fork mount racks and wheel holders won't work as well I'll need to do the same for my Fork Mount Park work stand!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long do you expect to keep this bike?

If it's 5 years or less, I definitely wouldn't be worried, as you'll find lots of good used wheels for cheap. After that, high end rim brake wheels and hubs will get more rare and the prices will probably rise, but you'll be able to get them pretty easily for 15 years I'd wager. I don't know if you'll be able to Jet equivalents however.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can still find folks selling HED trispokes from the early '00s on ST classified and eBay. There will be lots of rim brake deep carbon wheels on the secondary market for years (decades) to come.

The issue will be that they won't support whatever the latest/highest performance options of the future will be. An example is that the trispokes are fastest with a 19-20mm tire, but the latest low-RR designs (ex. GP5000 series) are not available below 23mm.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply