Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Should I stay clear of a tubular disc wheel?
Quote | Reply
Messaged a little while ago about buying some wheels for my TT bike. I think I'm going to purchase a disc wheel but FF are doing a nice disc wheel for £600 but it's a tubular. Should I avoid and save up for a clincher? If so, is HED my best option for a low budget?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Should I stay clear of a tubular disc wheel? [MrWings] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would steer clear. Tubular wheels are slightly slower (higher tire rolling resistance). If you mix tubies and clinchers, you need to carry two types of spares.

Buying a used disc is also a good call. They are race-only wheels and typically have very low mileage.


__________________________________________________
Powered by: Hat Tip - the power of thanks
http://hattip.com http://locations.hattip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Should I stay clear of a tubular disc wheel? [MrWings] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will get the same performance if you buy disc covers to your present wheels, e.g. wheelbuilder etc. This is much cheaper
Quote Reply
Re: Should I stay clear of a tubular disc wheel? [MrWings] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tubulars used to be the best performer, back in the day. Many people still love them. However, it seems like most of the advances and investment are in clinchers. And, the top clinchers are equal or better than most tubulars in typical road conditions. I used to race tubulars, but the hassle of gluing them is a pain. And, carrying a total tire instead of a tube kinda sucks.

I would vote for clincher unless you love tubulars for the sake of tubulars.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I stay clear of a tubular disc wheel? [MrWings] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought as much. Is this why a lot of tubular wheels are going pretty cheap? I hope I can gt a set of covers for my SLR 1's!
Quote Reply
Re: Should I stay clear of a tubular disc wheel? [MrWings] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrWings wrote:
I thought as much. Is this why a lot of tubular wheels are going pretty cheap? I hope I can gt a set of covers for my SLR 1's!

I can change a tub in 43 seconds, I have a video! If u can do that with a clincher I’ll buy u a disc! Gluing used to be a PITA 3 day process, with Mastik Pro it takes 20 mins or u can use tape. Regardless, I’ve been riding for 2 years on my Continental Attack tubs, no flats. So it’s not like you’re changing tyres every weekend.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Should I stay clear of a tubular disc wheel? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
MrWings wrote:
I thought as much. Is this why a lot of tubular wheels are going pretty cheap? I hope I can gt a set of covers for my SLR 1's!

I can change a tub in 43 seconds, I have a video! If u can do that with a clincher I’ll buy u a disc! Gluing used to be a PITA 3 day process, with Mastik Pro it takes 20 mins or u can use tape. Regardless, I’ve been riding for 2 years on my Continental Attack tubs, no flats. So it’s not like you’re changing tyres every weekend.
In Reply To:

What rim tape do you use?
Quote Reply
Re: Should I stay clear of a tubular disc wheel? [MrWings] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glue tape is slow.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I stay clear of a tubular disc wheel? [MrWings] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrWings wrote:
zedzded wrote:
MrWings wrote:
I thought as much. Is this why a lot of tubular wheels are going pretty cheap? I hope I can gt a set of covers for my SLR 1's!

I can change a tub in 43 seconds, I have a video! If u can do that with a clincher I’ll buy u a disc! Gluing used to be a PITA 3 day process, with Mastik Pro it takes 20 mins or u can use tape. Regardless, I’ve been riding for 2 years on my Continental Attack tubs, no flats. So it’s not like you’re changing tyres every weekend.
In Reply To:

What rim tape do you use?

I did use 3m but now use mastik pro glue
In Reply To:
. Put the glue on, takes a minute. Leave for 20mins, stick tyre on and you’re good to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I stay clear of a tubular disc wheel? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
And, carrying a total tire instead of a tube kinda sucks.

.

I carry a Vittoria Corsa Speed as a spare, it's very light, soft and supple so fits easily into a typical storage box. Some guys carry track tubs which are even lighter, probably take up less space than a tube and 2 tyre levers.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I stay clear of a tubular disc wheel? [MrWings] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If by "TT bike" you mean you're doing pure TT, then I'd say it's a fine choice. You're not carrying spares.

The fastest tires are tubulars, despite what's said here. (If you're bold enough to venture past the Corsa Speed tubular into the realm of track tires, which some TTers do).

Much less worry of pinch flats. My backup TT wheel is a Zipp 900 tubular. (doubles as my track disc).

That said the HED is also a fine choice.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I stay clear of a tubular disc wheel? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did go through a bit of shit with tubs when I first started out, raced on Corsa Speeds, had a few flats which can get expensive. $100/tyre vs $5/tube, but that was partly my fault, didn't put sealant in, although I did get a flat on a Corsa Speed with sealant on it's 2nd race. But really it's a tyre not suited to long course, which I think Vittoria alude to on their website. I use Continental Comp and Attacks now on training and race wheels with no issues. So if you go tubs, get the right tyre, don't get suckered into getting something uber quick and light unless your roads are like a bowling alley.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I stay clear of a tubular disc wheel? [MrWings] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the information people. I’ve decided to buy another Giant SLR 1 65mm which is what came with my Aero bike. I got it for £365 which I don’t think is a bad price considering how good the quality is (in my opinion anyway). Was a load of offers for tubular but the more I spoke to people, the more put off I was
Quote Reply