Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Should I leave my current squad and go to learn total immersion?
Quote | Reply
I've been training at the squad of my university's triathlon club for a year, which is my first year with formal training (apart from a few beginner lessons before). However, I cannot get my expected improvement over the year, specifically my 1.5 km T/T has stuck for half a year. The only thing that improved a lot is my endurance.

When I started last October, my 1.5 km T/T was 0:32:06. As I did not have any formal swim training before, I suspect that my technique was seriously wrong. I was hoping to get my 1.5 km time within 30 minutes by last year end, and perhaps 25 - 27 minutes this year. However I didn't make my target by the end of the year. In February I did a swim smooth video analysis session with my squad coach and my swim was really mediocre. Just before that my 1.5 km T/T was 0:31:12. My coach identified many problems on me, like scissor legs, over rotation, bad hand entry, head too low, pressing down in front of stroke, etc. I then worked on these things, as a result, my endurance was vastly improved, before that I got tired after maybe 3 km, and after a few months I completed a 13 km marathon swimming race.

However, I was swimming at the same slow speed as before, my latest 1.5 km T/T was 0:31:03 (a mere 9 seconds faster than February). The endurance improvement only means I'm less exhausted by the end of the 1.5 km, but I can't swim faster.

Also, my squad coach always tell me to spin my arms faster and faster. Even when I'm tired. Even when I can't hold my form. I've told her that my goal is to do rough water marathon swimming in cold water and need something that is sustainable for 10+ or even 15+ km. When I joined the squad initially, my stroke rate was about 56 - 58 spm, but she wants me to swim at least 64 spm or even more. She thinks that glide is a dirty word and, by stroking faster, my technique improves as the deadspots are hidden. I also think that my form is better when I'm stroking faster, but the problem is that, I can't sustain that high stroke rate for better form for more than a few hundred metres! Another problem is that, I'm a cold water swimmer and if I increase the stroke rate, I will get overheated easily in the middle of summer and have to slow down, and I always complain about the heat. I sometimes count strokes but I still need more than 60 strokes per 50 m length, which I think is not good. However, the coach basically tells me to HTFU and stroke faster. By stroking faster, although I really swim faster, I enter another aerobic level which isn't sustainable for 1.5 km, and I don't want brute-forcing my whole swim.

Therefore I begin to doubt if the methodology of this squad works on me, and if I should change to another place which teaches total immersion instead. My training goal in the coming winter is to get my long distance time down and do another marathon swimming race in cold water. Will total immersion work for my scenario?
Quote Reply
Re: Should I leave my current squad and go to learn total immersion? [miklcct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No!
Quote Reply
Re: Should I leave my current squad and go to learn total immersion? [miklcct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want to get slower by all means go do total immersion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You shouldn't expect to swim like swimmers who've been doing it for 10+ years after 1 year of training. Give it another 5 years of 20+k week and then check in again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The endurance improvement only means I'm less exhausted by the end of the 1.5 km, but I can't swim faster.

Huh?

Next time you swim the TT, aim to be more exhausted at the end. That's the idea of the TT, its the maximal effort you can sustain for that distance. Increase your turnover to the point that you can maintain for 1500m.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
miklcct wrote:
However, I was swimming at the same slow speed as before, my latest 1.5 km T/T was 0:31:03 (a mere 9 seconds faster than February). The endurance improvement only means I'm less exhausted by the end of the 1.5 km, but I can't swim faster.

Also, my squad coach always tell me to spin my arms faster and faster. Even when I'm tired. Even when I can't hold my form. I've told her that my goal is to do rough water marathon swimming in cold water and need something that is sustainable for 10+ or even 15+ km.

Sounds like your coach gave you guidance on how to swim a faster 1.5k, and you pushed back saying your goal wasn't to swim a faster 1.5k but to do marathon swimming. Which do you want? Your coach trying to get you from high-50's to mid-60's for stroke rate seems like sound advice. It may feel drastic, but it's not. That said, at 60+ SPL, it sounds like there's still plenty of room for technique improvements as well. What's your coach say about that? And is there any progression to your training at higher stroke rates? You're not likely to go from 57 to 64 SPM on long swims just because you want to. You gotta start by doing sets of 50's, then 100's, then 150's, etc. Maybe you take an intermediate step like 50's at 61 SPM, then 100's at 61SPM and 50's at 64SPM, then 150's at 61SPM and 100's at 64SPM, etc.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many times a week do you swim?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like your coach in on the right track, it is your impatience that needs a check. Like Jason said, it is not a fair comparison if you dont drill each TT the same. And keep in mind, some days you just dont have it either. Maybe throw in a test set too with those 1500 it's, another benchmark to measure by. Something like 10x100 with 20 to 30 seconds rest, best average?

You certainly have some stroke improvement room it feels like, so work on both fitness and stroke, plenty of swimming in a workout to do both..And keep in mind, that changes made to your stroke, can take months, sometimes years to fully kick in. Major flaws can be fixed to some extent overnight, but others just take time. Video is the best tool, because what you think you are doing, vs what your are actually doing, are often very far apart. It is about visualization, and AOS swimmers dont have that, so video is a great substitute.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I leave my current squad and go to learn total immersion? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
visualization, and AOS swimmers dont have that, so video is a great substitute.

Shit, I still think I look different than what I actually do, and I've been at this for a REALLY long time.

I dunno what the OP's training habits are like, but one observation I've had of a lot of triathletes and AOS's is that they seem to be afraid to fail at a set. I fail all the time in practice, sometimes spectacularly. It's how you learn where that line is and push it forward.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Should I leave my current squad and go to learn total immersion? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they seem to be afraid to fail at a set. //

Failure in swim practice, is winning...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
miklcct wrote:
I've been training at the squad of my university's triathlon club for a year, which is my first year with formal training (apart from a few beginner lessons before). However, I cannot get my expected improvement over the year, specifically my 1.5 km T/T has stuck for half a year. The only thing that improved a lot is my endurance.

When I started last October, my 1.5 km T/T was 0:32:06. As I did not have any formal swim training before, I suspect that my technique was seriously wrong. I was hoping to get my 1.5 km time within 30 minutes by last year end, and perhaps 25 - 27 minutes this year. However I didn't make my target by the end of the year. In February I did a swim smooth video analysis session with my squad coach and my swim was really mediocre. Just before that my 1.5 km T/T was 0:31:12. My coach identified many problems on me, like scissor legs, over rotation, bad hand entry, head too low, pressing down in front of stroke, etc. I then worked on these things, as a result, my endurance was vastly improved, before that I got tired after maybe 3 km, and after a few months I completed a 13 km marathon swimming race.

Also, my squad coach always tell me to spin my arms faster and faster. Even when I'm tired. Even when I can't hold my form. I've told her that my goal is to do rough water marathon swimming in cold water and need something that is sustainable for 10+ or even 15+ km. When I joined the squad initially, my stroke rate was about 56 - 58 spm, but she wants me to swim at least 64 spm or even more. She thinks that glide is a dirty word and, by stroking faster, my technique improves as the deadspots are hidden. I also think that my form is better when I'm stroking faster, but the problem is that, I can't sustain that high stroke rate for better form for more than a few hundred metres! Another problem is that, I'm a cold water swimmer and if I increase the stroke rate, I will get overheated easily in the middle of summer and have to slow down, and I always complain about the heat. I sometimes count strokes but I still need more than 60 strokes per 50 m length, which I think is not good. However, the coach basically tells me to HTFU and stroke faster. By stroking faster, although I really swim faster, I enter another aerobic level which isn't sustainable for 1.5 km, and I don't want brute-forcing my whole swim.

Therefore I begin to doubt if the methodology of this squad works on me, and if I should change to another place which teaches total immersion instead. My training goal in the coming winter is to get my long distance time down and do another marathon swimming race in cold water. Will total immersion work for my scenario?

Your coach identified at least 5 major stroke flaws in february. It is difficult to change that many things in a short period of time. Often it is 2 steps forward and one back. I think you need more time as others have said. Total immersion is not your solution.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In case your comment about TI wasn't totally tongue-in-cheek I thought I'd directly address that. I think you'll get close to 100% hell no response on here for taking that route. TI's strength is getting someone off the couch and swimming competently. But you're clearly well past the point where TI would help you as it's not great at getting someone faster than, say, 2:00 per 100. So your better options are to stick with what you're doing or find a masters group or find a different private coach. (Obviously your options are directly affected by your location and bank account.) As others have said, it does sound like you are making some progress, it just takes time.

BTW, you'll get different answers from different people, but the open-water marathoners I know go with shorter strokes at a higher rate, like 80+, depending on conditions. So if your life goal is to things like some of the Oceans Seven then working hard on your stroke rate now is a great idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My two cents is that a lower stroke rate requires great contact in the catch phase of the stroke and big time engagement of your back/ arms to pull harder all the way through. I believe that requires building up of the muscle efficiency/ memory that has been developed over long periods of time. The catch is the most important part as you'll need to pull a lot of water. My stroke isn't perfect in everyone's eyes, but it is efficient and my mechanics are good.

I've been swimming since before I could walk, I'm tall (6'3), and have developed a longer, slower stroke/ glide over time. In a build up for a long swim, I would institute a lot of paddle work using big paddles to help enhance the focus on building the pull muscles while focusing on the catch. This is not something I would recommend to everyone.

Are your TT's in the pool? If so, how are your walls? That could be a great place to pick up considerable time. Surely doesn't translate to open water, but sets up each length for maintaining a better pace with a good fast turn and solid push off.

The final piece for me is, I believe you have to push yourself to a high level of discomfort and maintain that for a long period of time. As Monty and Jason mentioned, I have to be willing to push to failure.

To answer your question, I don't think TI will make you faster.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just small observation low stroke rate just costed me my first Ironman. I DNFed on the swim due to very strong head on current that came in.
Current was much stronger then my propulsion and i believe if my stroke rate would be higher maybe and just maybe i would have a chance. Just my 2 cents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried Total Immersion in my early days as a triathlete and as mostly as adult onset swimmer (I did swim team ages 8 and 9 and then raced in local yocal races in my teens). TI is interesting, I liked a lot of the philosophy and glad I learned the technique. (I can swim a long way without getting tired using TI.) However, it's slower, as you can see from the responses to your question, and I abandoned the technique quickly.

Sounds like you are making progress. Improving your endurance is a great sign.

I loved the response of "failing in the pool is success" -- not meeting my goal splits has caused me to back off of hard training in the water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find a coach that tells you what you want to hear and go with that. This process can be done over a coffee and muffin.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I leave my current squad and go to learn total immersion? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

Probably true that we don't like to fail a set. Not even sure what failing a set would be like. Is it like being 5 seconds off on your 100s?

If either you or Jason could describe how bad failing a swim workout/set could be and it still help the AOS, that might be rather liberating.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

This is great
Quote Reply
Re: Should I leave my current squad and go to learn total immersion? [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Simple - "failure" means that you are unable to continue to hit the target times. It's the overload portion of the overload, recover, and supercompensation cycle.

It helps AOS in the same way it helps YOS, you set stretch goals and if you do that properly, such that they are truly stretch goals, then you won't be able to achieve them all of the time. If you always hit your targets, make the interval, or whatever it is, then you aren't pushing your limits.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Should I leave my current squad and go to learn total immersion? [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And to take Jason's thought one step further, it could be a target swim time, or an interval. For instance, you do a set of 15x 100's on a 1;30 and you goal is to hold 1;15's. A real swimmer does it until he fails, then sits out a minute to recover and begins again. So you might ask, what if you make all 15 of them under the 1;15, isnt that the goal? NO!!! But if you happen to make it all the way through, then you get to either tighten up the interval to 1;25, or you reduce the time swam to 1;14.

You see you are supposed to fail, that is how you get the most out of these kind of sets. Probably not a good idea to fail more than 3 times, just means you set the swim time or interval too fast, so back it down.

There is a famous set that old swimmers did/do, called beat the clock. Of course depends on your speed and abilities, but it goes like this. Start at 2 minutes(or whatever, some fast guys start at 1;30) and do a 100 yards. Then at 1;59 you go again, then 1;58, and on and on, one second off the interval each time. This is a great set, as it teaches not only endurance, but it makes you consider the early super easy swims, and how to do them. Because the goal is to get as far as you can, not an average time. Most people start off way too fast, even though it seems like a crawl, as it should.

The set is a failure set, there is no making it, and this is what builds up great swimmers. Make sense now?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

JasoninHalifax wrote:
The endurance improvement only means I'm less exhausted by the end of the 1.5 km, but I can't swim faster.

Huh?

Next time you swim the TT, aim to be more exhausted at the end. That's the idea of the TT, its the maximal effort you can sustain for that distance. Increase your turnover to the point that you can maintain for 1500m.

My arms failed me if I tried to increase effort - my stroke would be no longer effective.

gary p wrote:
What's your coach say about that? And is there any progression to your training at higher stroke rates? You're not likely to go from 57 to 64 SPM on long swims just because you want to. You gotta start by doing sets of 50's, then 100's, then 150's, etc. Maybe you take an intermediate step like 50's at 61 SPM, then 100's at 61SPM and 50's at 64SPM, then 150's at 61SPM and 100's at 64SPM, etc.

I'm now already at 62 - 63 spm (or even more) for 1.5 km race speed in cooler water after a year of training but my coach eventually wants me to swim at 70 or even more. However I have to keep at 58 - 60 in 30°C water otherwise I will overheat, that's why I couldn't do what the coach wants in the whole summer.

Another private coach thinks that I am lacking pull strength and need to train with more paddles, which I avoided before because I've heard that using paddles would lead to shoulder injury.

tridave101 wrote:
How many times a week do you swim?

4-5 times, with around 15 km in total.

monty wrote:
Sounds like your coach in on the right track, it is your impatience that needs a check.

I'm very impatient now because I wanted to join the squad 4 years ago but didn't get accepted as I was too slow, and some people in my club that I should take 3 years to train for my target race, which I'm planning to do it within 1 year. However, someone I know (a former competitive pool swimmer 20 years after retirement) is attempting to go from 0 OW experience to something longer than the English Channel in half a year!!!!!!!!!! And he got out in the front of pack in his first OW race in his life where I got a DFL against a strong current.

JasoninHalifax wrote:
I dunno what the OP's training habits are like, but one observation I've had of a lot of triathletes and AOS's is that they seem to be afraid to fail at a set. I fail all the time in practice, sometimes spectacularly. It's how you learn where that line is and push it forward.

I'm not afraid to fail a set, but I'm afraid to fail (DNF) a race. A race that I did last month was really cutting edge for me due to a strong current, which I barely made it at the intermediate cut off point and finished as the last ranked competitor. A significant portion of the field (around 20%) could not make it even only experienced swimmers (no newbies) were welcomed to the race.

BlackStumpGumby wrote:
BTW, you'll get different answers from different people, but the open-water marathoners I know go with shorter strokes at a higher rate, like 80+, depending on conditions. So if your life goal is to things like some of the Oceans Seven then working hard on your stroke rate now is a great idea.

Yes, my life goal is to do 3 - 4 out of 7. However, it is too early for me to even think if that before I swim the channel. I showed a video of Adam Walker to my coach, and she thinks that that kind of stroke won't work on my body type.

robbyzg wrote:
Just small observation low stroke rate just costed me my first Ironman. I DNFed on the swim due to very strong head on current that came in.
Current was much stronger then my propulsion and i believe if my stroke rate would be higher maybe and just maybe i would have a chance. Just my 2 cents.
This have reminded my scary experience September when I did a race with strong head on current. Before the race I checked the marine current prediction and estimated I needed to go hard for 54 minutes to get thru that 1.3 km, and formulated a race plan that went easy at the beginning and flat out at my highest possible stroke rate (which was about my 1.5 km race effort which was supposed to be sustainable for about half an hour). However, it took me 75 freaking minutes on the race day to get thru it!!! barely making the cut off and could no longer make any effort in the calmer water towards the finish afterwards. This was something that I would never want to do again.

IT wrote:
monty wrote:

Probably true that we don't like to fail a set. Not even sure what failing a set would be like. Is it like being 5 seconds off on your 100s?

If either you or Jason could describe how bad failing a swim workout/set could be and it still help the AOS, that might be rather liberating.

For me, failing a set means completely burn out and 20 - 30 seconds off on my 100 s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
And to take Jason's thought one step further, it could be a target swim time, or an interval. For instance, you do a set of 15x 100's on a 1;30 and you goal is to hold 1;15's. A real swimmer does it until he fails, then sits out a minute to recover and begins again. So you might ask, what if you make all 15 of them under the 1;15, isnt that the goal? NO!!! But if you happen to make it all the way through, then you get to either tighten up the interval to 1;25, or you reduce the time swam to 1;14.

You see you are supposed to fail, that is how you get the most out of these kind of sets. Probably not a good idea to fail more than 3 times, just means you set the swim time or interval too fast, so back it down.

There is a famous set that old swimmers did/do, called beat the clock. Of course depends on your speed and abilities, but it goes like this. Start at 2 minutes(or whatever, some fast guys start at 1;30) and do a 100 yards. Then at 1;59 you go again, then 1;58, and on and on, one second off the interval each time. This is a great set, as it teaches not only endurance, but it makes you consider the early super easy swims, and how to do them. Because the goal is to get as far as you can, not an average time. Most people start off way too fast, even though it seems like a crawl, as it should.

The set is a failure set, there is no making it, and this is what builds up great swimmers. Make sense now?

Thanks to all who explained swimming to failure.

I haven't been failing long enough or often enough in my sets. Typically when the times drop off, I might switch to shorter intervals to try to maintain quality/speed. Will try at least 3 failures as you described them going forward.

Thanks again for the examples.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I leave my current squad and go to learn total immersion? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
If you want to get slower by all means go do total immersion.

There are a lot of people on ST who claims to be fast swimmers (at least faster than me) using TI - that's the reason I want to try.

cmscat50 wrote:
I looked at TI lots and read his book while learning to swim last summer. I probably got as fast as about 1:30 / 100 for 1500 using that method.

I am not not much faster if any, but as fit either. I agree with almost everyone that TI won't get you to your potential. It's all about the catch and fitness after a certain point.

phoenixR34 wrote:

I was a consistent 30min swimmer for Olympic distance. I took one TI lesson to learn the drills, then worked on them for about two months exclusively.. no freestyle swimming at all. After that, I did a month of freestyle swimming. Managed to get down to a 24min Olympic swim shortly after. In that whole three months, I never did more than 3500yards per week, one interval session (10x100yd) every two weeks. Longest pool swim was 2000yds. I did an open water 2.4mi swim just to try it, and ended up with a 1:13. Only a handful of tough workouts.. the rest were low yardage, focused around form. A lot of people say TI doesn't work, but six minutes off my Olympic and a 1:13IM swim are good enough for me.

However the people which criticise TI are using the same rationale of my squad coach. In the video analysis I have done in February the coach told me that I glided too much at the front associated with my bad hand entry trying to overreach, causing a dead spot.

FLA Jill wrote:
If you're not a strong kicker, the extended glide out front can result in a decrease in propulsion and give you something of a dead spot during a certain part of your stroke. And since most non-fish triathletes kick for crap, the dead spot can become a real issue, especially when you're in a rough water situation.

I think they also encourage too much reliance on the use of head position to get your hips p in the water when eventually you want to move on to using a strong core to keep your hips up.

As there are many conflicting reports, I don't really know if I should learn it or not, and I don't believe that a 31 minutes 1.5 km or 1:26 3.8 km swim is my full potential because even fat women and small girls are much faster than me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No.

Jim Vance
http://TodaysPlan.com.au (Disclosure: I am contracted with Today's Plan)
http://www.CoachVance.com/
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How fast can you swim 100.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply

Prev Next