Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shorter Intervals and the equivalent longer pace
Quote | Reply
I have been watching some older youtube videos of Lionel Sanders training and he talks about being able to push a certain wattage for a certain duration and then the equivalents.

E.g. If I want to push 300 watts for 2 hours then I have to be able to hold 400 watts for 1 hours, and to hold 400 watts for 1 hour then I need to hold 450 watts for 30 minutes. Or similar for running if you want to run a 1:30 half marathon then you need to do a 40 min 10km, and therefore an 18min 5km.

In my example the numbers are pure guesses, I have no idea how these numbers should correlate. Does anyone know if there are rules of thumb for swim, bike and run to follow for this. I am trying to develop my own training plan and get my head around the interval progression.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Shorter Intervals and the equivalent longer pace [Toolish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what distance are you planning on racing?

My experience as I did a lot of high-intensity intervals getting ready for Ironman Maryland last year is there's no substitute 4 volume go long and slow as often as possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Shorter Intervals and the equivalent longer pace [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at a 70.3 in about 6 months.

Plan was to spend the next 2-3 months working on shorter reps, then a month or two extending them, then the last couple of months working up to distance.

I am still planning on one longer session in each discipline each week, but I am limited to about an hour session on week days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm far from a coach. But like I said I would personally take it easy with the intensity. A lot of zone 2 stuff.

I'm not saying the intensity doesn't work for some people just didn't work for me hopefully someone with more insight will chime in for you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too am very far from a coach, but I would be careful basing my training off of what the pros are doing. Lionel, and other pros, are already able to cover the race distance with ease and spend a lot of time honing their top end power to deal with the punchiness of the pro race which is much raced much differently than the AG race. There are a decent amount of pros on here who I would hope can chime in as well but the important thing in long distance racing is being able to hold a high % of your FTP for a long time. How you get there is very individual but will be different than what the pros are doing. I have gone into pretty much every race wishing I had more volume or one more long ride, never thinking I wish I had done one more set of intervals.
Quote Reply