Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Short training and race expectations
Quote | Reply
So, have not had enough time to train as much as I would have liked to. Several reasons..... won’t bore you all. I’m training 5hours a week but hitting the hard workouts hard and resting like a champ in between. I’ve been training consistently for 5 years with multiple half’s and fulls. My plan is to race in Oceanside 70.3 in April and will peak out at 8-10 hour week before a short taper. Thing that s, my power output on the bike is the same or better as is my running speed. Has this happened to anyone before during short training plans? Wondering if I should “ go for it” or scale it back a bit for this race. Is there a workout any would recommend 2 weeks out as a test that would give me an idea at what effort I should put out for this race? Thanks in advance for your opinions
Quote Reply
Re: Short training and race expectations [Ken66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did this starting 2 yrs ago, going for maximal sleep, maximal recovery between workouts (not slacking though) and lots of quality.

I did as well on 6-7 hrs of training as i did while training 10-11 hrs per week while busy and fatigued.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same here on short training and also racing OSide, I won't have time for race simulations so doing race pace bricks (swim/bike, bike/run) and rest between bricks.

Without knowing how you've trained/raced before or what your strengths are, I would suggest racing at a comfortable level thru half the race- evaluate how you feel and then race accordingly.

Happy Training!
Quote Reply
Re: Short training and race expectations [LuckyLo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Short training for fulls is where I think it all breaks down. The fulls I feel I need the volume. Need to suffer in training to do well in them. The halfs I'm thinking I can get away with much less training but uping the intensity a lot. Key longer workouts etc.... I'm fair at best swimming, but strong on the bike for an older guy (2:10 half and 4:40 full on mostly flat course. Running is also strength but not doing the volume needed I think for this.

LuckyLo wrote:
Same here on short training and also racing OSide, I won't have time for race simulations so doing race pace bricks (swim/bike, bike/run) and rest between bricks.

Without knowing how you've trained/raced before or what your strengths are, I would suggest racing at a comfortable level thru half the race- evaluate how you feel and then race accordingly.

Happy Training!
Quote Reply
Re: Short training and race expectations [LuckyLo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going for my long run today. Will add a few mile intervals in there. Nothing super hard but will to a solid tempo pace. 12-13 miles. I think that is a reasonable plan. I may feel strong on the bike but the lack of volume may catch up with me if I go out too hot the first half. I’ll swim as I usually do then first 1/2 of the bike ride at 10 watts below what I would normally go at. If I’m feeling good, I’ll pick it back up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck with the race, when I turned 50 12 years ago it was the last 1/2 race I told myself I would ever do again. I averaged about 6 hours a week, low around 3 and biggest week was 9 hours. No garbage miles anywhere. You will need to really pay attention to your pacing, you can go fast but have less room for any error on the fast side.

One factor that no one has mentioned, your history and how long in the sport? I figure all my previous miles, races, and experience were worth another 6 or 7 hours a week of training. It was all locked up in my brain and body and apparently I found the bare minimum of training to unlock it...(-; Got the Ironman Kona slot, then gave it to the next guy!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Short training and race expectations [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been at triathlon for 5 years now. Non stop training. Peaked at 15 hours/week for fulls. Been active most of my life with a break in there for 10 years because of family..... little ones etc.... was a fast runner years ago but mostly a middle distance guy. 17 years old 1/2 mile at 1:56 and mile was 4:29. 15 year old 10k at 34:45. (Heartbreak Hill 10k with not much training. Didn’t need it as much back then as I do now. Did not really run competitively after that but did run a few cross country races in college. Little running here and there after that but that’s it

monty wrote:
Good luck with the race, when I turned 50 12 years ago it was the last 1/2 race I told myself I would ever do again. I averaged about 6 hours a week, low around 3 and biggest week was 9 hours. No garbage miles anywhere. You will need to really pay attention to your pacing, you can go fast but have less room for any error on the fast side.

One factor that no one has mentioned, your history and how long in the sport? I figure all my previous miles, races, and experience were worth another 6 or 7 hours a week of training. It was all locked up in my brain and body and apparently I found the bare minimum of training to unlock it...(-; Got the Ironman Kona slot, then gave it to the next guy!!!
Quote Reply