Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Short leg vs long leg wetsuits for cold water
Quote | Reply
I'll be open water swimming through winter in ocean water that dips down as low as 50f and air as low as 60f. I'm set on a long sleeve triathlon suit but still contemplating between a shorty (short legs) or a regular full length triathlon suit. How much heat is lost with the exposed calves? I've been comfortable down to around 60f with a short legged bottom and long sleeve top but I think the waist is losing the most of my heat by letting in water. I suspect a good thick long sleeved shorty will be fine, especially with a cap and booties under my fins.
Last edited by: niteflight: Dec 22, 20 9:57
Quote Reply
Re: Short leg vs long leg wetsuits for cold water [niteflight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People here (NZ) swim all year without wetsuits in water down to 11/12C. My take is that it's a personal choice dependent on how well you can stand the cold water. I use a standard full-wetsuit without boots, gloves, or neoprene hat down to 12C by which time it's the air temperature out of the water that puts me of swimming between early July and September. I also know others who still swim in boots and neoprene hats even now the water is 18C.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Last edited by: PhilipShambrook: Dec 22, 20 11:50
Quote Reply
Re: Short leg vs long leg wetsuits for cold water [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Similar here. I've just got back from about an hour in the water. Approx 15-16C. So Similar to 60F ref'd. Spring fed outdoor pool (so just natural heat in the water out of the ground. No heaters. Air temp is a lot cooler though- about 4C at the mo (at 6pm). Changing outside due to covid restrictions.

I'm in a std long sleeve / leg suit (but the sleeves and legs are half way up my forearms/ calves anyway. No booties or gloves. Std latex swim cap only. Absolutely fine. And the suit i use is knackered and leaks under the arms and crotch.😱
Half the folks swimming are just in regular in swimming cozzies / jammers. I do that occasionally too for the last part of the session.

The only thing I find is it take a while to get re-warmed later (I defo get the after-cooling effect 20 mins after getting out). Actually best thing for it is a 10 or 15 min run to regenerate some warmth.

Enjoy !!
Quote Reply
Re: Short leg vs long leg wetsuits for cold water [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I realize without a suit it is doable, and I like the freedom of the short legs. As long as I won't lose a great deal of heat from exposed calves I'll go ahead with a nice Triathlon shortly like a Blueseventy Alliance.
Quote Reply