Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shoes with POP!
Quote | Reply
This is a marathon running question not a tri question but I am still hoping you can help. Running a marathon in a few weeks and while I know I should not try anything new I am looking for some new shoes. I have been running in Nike Odyssey Reacts mostly and recently switched to the zoomfly. I really like the zoom fly but they are a little heavy and the curve does not fit my foot the best. I have also run in Brooks Ravenna and pure connect. What shoes do you run longer distances in that offer some cushinoning and support for a long distance but also offer some pop or energy return and under 8 ounces? Are the Hoka Rincon or NB rebel recommended? Any advice on a good marathon shoe is appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoes with POP! [MTMTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Altra Escalante are a great shoe that have a feeling of cushion when jogging and then snap when picking up cadence and pace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTMTRI wrote:
This is a marathon running question not a tri question but I am still hoping you can help. Running a marathon in a few weeks and while I know I should not try anything new I am looking for some new shoes. I have been running in Nike Odyssey Reacts mostly and recently switched to the zoomfly. I really like the zoom fly but they are a little heavy and the curve does not fit my foot the best. I have also run in Brooks Ravenna and pure connect. What shoes do you run longer distances in that offer some cushinoning and support for a long distance but also offer some pop or energy return and under 8 ounces? Are the Hoka Rincon or NB rebel recommended? Any advice on a good marathon shoe is appreciated.

Which Zoomfly? I have the Zoomfly SP and I wouldn't consider it heavy. It's my favorite shoe. I need a new shoe and wondering about the Zoomfly 3. I HATE the knit upper; I need structure or something, so any of those are out.

Wondering about the sizing of the ZF3; I had to size up on the SP, but wore regular size on PegTurbo.

Also looking at Rincon and Rebel. Sorry I have no advice; just subscribing for others comments.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoes with POP! [smartyiak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the zoom fly 3 and and also the zoom flyknit? the 2nd year model. They feel fast but a little heavy for a racing marathon shoe. I think they are listed at 9.3 ounces for a size 9.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoes with POP! [nogluten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep!
And the racer model is even better!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which Escalante? Just looking at reviews, folks seem to like the 1.5 more than the 2. Are you racing in them?

I've only run in Merrell's (a combination of Bare Access and Gloves). Would love any advice about how to transition to something more responsive. Marathon distance on the road.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoes with POP! [westandrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the 1.5s. Haven't tried the 2s, but love the cushion and lightness.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nogluten wrote:
Altra Escalante are a great shoe that have a feeling of cushion when jogging and then snap when picking up cadence and pace.

Another +1 for the escalante. Great shoes that feel soft, but are fast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like the NB rebel. Haven't used it for anything longer than a 10k this summer, but the shoe is light and really enjoyable to run in. I normally wear a size 10 wide, and the 10.5 wide in the Rebel fits very well.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoes with POP! [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would not run a marathon in the Escalantes. I have both 1.5 and 2, they're soft but there's not too much volume in the padding and they're flexy.
I do most of my running in the Zoom Fly Flyknit now and they have pop. The Zoom Fly feels like running on a treadmill - they are pretty responsive and take absorb a lot of impact.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Shoes with POP! [westandrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only got the first version still (3 different colorways of version 1) and I love them... haven't run more than 15 in them as I'm not in long long training mode right now, but they've got amazing feel even after 800 miles on one pair and about 200 on the other two pairs)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTMTRI wrote:
under 8 ounces?

here's the thing that's ridiculous about putting a weight limit on your shoes.

I can go into the LRS and pull several shoes in the 8.3-9oz range that will feel better and run faster than some of the sub 8oz shoes on the wall.

Why would you choose a 7.8oz shoe that feels worse and runs worse than a 8.6oz shoe?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Shoes with POP! [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Comfort is the top priority but if I can have a shoe that is 8 versus 11 ounces that feels just as nice, I am taking the 8 or less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been training largely in the NB Fuelcell Rebel and they’re a great shoe. Good for fast days and slow days too.

Quote | Reply
Not sure why nobody has suggested the vaporfly 4% or next% yet that I saw, but it seems like that's the only real option for a cushioned shoe with some actual pop. Maybe the hoka carbon rocket
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked up a pair of the Skechers Razor 3's and I plan to wear them in an upcoming marathon. Lots of shock absorption with these and some pop too. Under 7 oz.

The longest I've run in them so far was an 8 mile road race. I've also done some 5k's and a 10k. Marathons are a different adventure altogether, but my experience in these shoes to date tell me that they will do the trick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got a pair of the next% yesterday and they feel delicious. Very forefoot with a fulcrum-y feel and more forefoot cushioning than a hoka if that is possible. Have not run in them yet but get giggly thinking about taking them out for the first time.

have been running in the Hoka Carbon x almost exclusively since spring and love them, cushioned light slight rocker feel.

sneaker nerds unite. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would not use the 8 ounces at the defining line. What you want is a shoe that feels light on your foot. You can find a 10oz shoe that does that better than an 8 oz shoe.

I am currently running in the following:
Epic React
NB Fuel Cell Rebel
Zoom Fly Flyknit
Hoka One One Carbon X

If I were in marathon shape knowing my form would not break down and there was not a Vapor Fly Next (which I own) I would choose the Rebel. It’s got pop, enough protection and it just fells great to run fast in.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: Shoes with POP! [teamvanstrange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You train and race in your Carbon X's? I've got a pair coming I got with discount and am hoping they feel fast, but as of now I'm just planning on racing in them.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Shoes with POP! [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I absolutely train in them they are holding up very well. Love them. In the past I have been a clifton lover but I like these better. Wider forefoot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the carbon rockets for races. I liked to train in the Tracer 2s. I have a pair of 4% that I have recently ran a 70.3 in as well as a 4 mile road race and I just didn't like them compared to the rockets. The drop was weird and I didn't get a good ride out of them like the hokas. Granted, I was not in form I think to really guage these, but with the rockets I got a marathon PR in them and had no discomfort at all. Nikes rubed my heal and ankles, felt like they would collapse when having to do an out and back or running some sharper curves, and I didn't get as much pop out of them like all the reviews I had heard.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you mean by support? A structured shoe for pronation?
Quote Reply
Re: Shoes with POP! [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct, I do not usually run in neutral shoes and need just a little support but lately I have tried some neutral shoes and they have felt fine. Just thinking for a marathon that a little support might help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most structured shoes are usually a little heavy. The one that stands out is the Reebok Floatride Run Fast. Is a neutral shoe with the same foam as the Nike 4% but it has some structure. Not a lot like a structure shoe but it meets your weight requirement and its pretty cush. It has some pop but not like the Nike Next % as a example. The nike has the most pop I have ever run in.
Quote Reply