Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shoe recommendations after torn meniscus
Quote | Reply
I tore the meniscus in my right knee during a sprint tri almost 9 months ago, and after seeing a sports doctor, getting an MRI then seeing a surgeon, I was told he wasn’t going to talk me into surgery with the type of tear I have, as it was starting to feel a little better (that was about 3-4 months post injury). It has continued to improve and I only really feel it when I bend my leg completely or twist it awkwardly.

I have been biking pain free (it’s always been pain free biking) and I’m thinking about starting to run again to see how it goes. I would like to give myself the best chance of keeping the improvement continuing, and I am thinking that having a shoe with more cushioning may help. I was training and racing in the Hoka Tracer during and prior the injury, and I’m wondering if perhaps a more cushioned Hoka model may be the way to go. If so, any thoughts on the particular model? And recommendations as to other shoes I should look at?
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe recommendations after torn meniscus [manamana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had this surgery more than half a dozen times. You don't necessarily need new or more padded shoes, although I think it is worth looking into other shoes especially if you believe the shoes were the cause of the tear. But, I don't believe the tear itself "requires" more padded or different shoes. I wear my shoes down on the outside of my soles, so I have to watch them very carefully and if I don't, I then start to damage my knees from the pounding they take on uneven soles. Personally, I didn't last more than 2 weeks in Hokas without pain so they were not the shoe for me despite numerous meniscus issues. I now run in Altras. So, in short, the Hokas may work for you or may not but they are not a panacea.
Quote Reply