Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shoe Questions
Quote | Reply
1) Dan's series on running shoes is making me wonder if I'm wasting money on my shoes. I run a lot on cement and asphalt and so I've been wearing Asics Gel Kayanos for the past couple of years and have remained injury free and comfortable. At the same time, I'm only 5'8" and 155 lbs and have a pretty true stride without pronation or supination. So I'm wondering if I really need to be dropping $120 per pair of shoes or if I wouldn't be just fine in any number of cushioned shoes in that $75 to $90 price range. In other words, am I driving a Hummer when a Mini would do just fine.

2) Is there some rule of thumb on replacing cycling shoes? There are lots of mileage and time metrics for replacing your running shoes but is there something comparable for cycling?
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe Questions [IAG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear you. I totally 'overshoed' last time and regretted it. I went to the store this time with a lower price limit and found a pair of shoes that make me happy to run again. My wife, she of the perfectly neutral biomechanics, tends to like her shoes more the less gadgets she has on them.

I'm curious to hear the response on cycling shoes. I replaced mine when I ripped the toe out, but the bottom was getting a bit flexible at the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is my understanding of the quality of running shoes. A less expensive cushioned shoe will have the same cushioning initially. It just won't last as long. You'll probably get more mileage out of your Kayanos than the $75 pair. So, it becomes a question of how often you are going to need to buy a new pair.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude - if Kayanos work for you and don't hurt your knees or ankles, why risk changing shoes to save a few bucks. You could switch and wind up in a few weeks nursing a persistently aching knee. I say stick with what you know works.

my $0.02

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Animal!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe Questions [muppet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed 100%!

But, it is not uncommon to find people "over-shoed" who HAVE knee/leg problems because of being "over-shoed" - people running in full-on motion control shoes who need a basic cushion shoe. The reasons for this are:

1. Lack of knowledge on the part of the salespeople in the shoe-shop - People may come into the shop complaining ofld knee pain, so the knee-jerk( no pun intended) reaction is to put them in a motion control shoe or to put every big" runner in a motion control shoe because "big" runners need them! Not so.

2. Not shopping at a specialty shoe shop in the first place.

3. The shoe companies pushing the top of the line montion-control shoes from an advertising and promotional perspective - the uninformed think that is the shoe for them!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply