Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Shiv owners, HELP
Quote | Reply
Should I get a small or medium? I ride specialized medium epic mtn bike and specialized medium tarmac.... I'm 5'8 but have slightly longer arms (my wingspan is similar to the length of average 6 foot people).

Please post how tall you are if you got a small or medium and how you feel the shiv fit you.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv owners, HELP [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5'10" and riding a medium. Small was too cramped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on your position... how aggressive is it?

I'm 5'11'' and on a M...
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv owners, HELP [dmaurich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dmaurich wrote:
Depends on your position... how aggressive is it?

I'm 5'11'' and on a M...

My position will probably be more comfortable than aggressive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the same boat here, so maybe a M would work? But don't take my word for it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a friend was a large in his specialized transition and went to a medium when he got the shiv...he's 6ft.

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At 5'8, I would probably go with a small. I'm 5'11 and ride a medium with the front end slammed. I have a somewhat low position, but not what I would consider overly aggressive.
Last edited by: MgAdams: Oct 22, 12 11:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 5'11" and ride a medium frame with the stock stem and aerobar. I ride with the seat post in the rearward position and have the saddle clamped fairly close to the center of the seat rails. I tend to think of myself as being more leg than torso and after sitting on the large frame it just felt like too much bike.

I would suggest going to your local IBD and sitting on one and having the fitting staff look at you on the bike.

Jon Ryder
RPM Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv owners, HELP [jpryder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am 5'9 and on a small. I have one spacer (they are bigger than your avg spacer) on the steerer at the moment more due to I am fat and getting back into shape. I was worried it may be too small at first but after some riding i like the fit. I have historically had a decent drop on my roadie and tri bikes. if it helps at all my road bike is a 54 cervelo soloist carbon sl.

JW (on the comback trail)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Inseam? Reach? Your position? That's more crucial than your height. Do you know your ideal stack and reach numbers? If you do, you won't have any trouble finding the matching frame. Shiv does not fit folks with low stack and long reach. Cervelo would be better. Etc.....

Anyway the answer is: it depends. Get a fitting and find out for sure where you are with this.

I'm 6'2" with a 36" inseam. I ride the L Shiv with the 79.9 cm saddle height, saddle 4cm behind the BB, and nosecone set to the 60mm stem length.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv owners, HELP [NYCTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NYCTri wrote:
I am 5'9 and on a small. I have one spacer (they are bigger than your avg spacer) on the steerer at the moment more due to I am fat and getting back into shape. I was worried it may be too small at first but after some riding i like the fit. I have historically had a decent drop on my roadie and tri bikes. if it helps at all my road bike is a 54 cervelo soloist carbon sl.

Hmm it sounds like I should be in a small.. 5'8 with inseam of 31" as measured for saddle height.. And I ride a 54 tarmac.. I guess I will have to demo and test the feel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would definitely go small, not medium. I'm 5'9" and on an XS Shiv TT - I have rules for my set-up but even so, there's no way I'd go Medium in the Tri version of the bike. way big.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv owners, HELP [ehloolerud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ehloolerud wrote:
I would definitely go small, not medium. I'm 5'9" and on an XS Shiv TT - I have rules for my set-up but even so, there's no way I'd go Medium in the Tri version of the bike. way big.

Wonder why the sizing is all off from their standards with mountain bikes and road bikes.. They shoulda just shifted all the sizes up one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wondered the same thing and almost quoted the shiv TT measurements from memory because I've looked at them so much. Then I remembered you were probably talking the Tri bike and had to look at the geo chart. Anyway, could very well have something to do with the handlebar set up and hydration gizmo. The TT version comes with a thousand tiny little pieces to tweak the setup given the size of dude/dudette because the stack is identical from S-XL frame.

One thing is for sure, you will be faster when you get this bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'10" and riding a Sm. Fits perfectly and I'm glad I didn't settle for the Med that the shop tried to put me on. Their bike fit was based on height (instead of bike fit), so you really, really need to get with a knowledgeable fitter before ordering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeesh....I dunno how some of you 5'9" guys get on the size bikes that you do. I just picked up a L Shiv TT for me. There is no way in hell I could fit on a Med, let alone Small or XS Shiv. Too high, too short.

I was really concerned when I did the math from my Stack and Reach from my old P2 (54)....never in my life have I ridden a Large frame, road or tri. but the numbers came out consistent.

(yeah, I know the Shiv TT has completely different geometry...but that difference only serves to underscore my decision)

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv owners, HELP [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How low you are in the front seems to be a big factor on the Shiv. I have a 110 stem on mine and a lot of seatpost but fit well. I tend to have longer legs that torso as well. If you look at the numbers of a 51 P3 and a small shiv they are pretty close if I recall.

JW (on the comback trail)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the tall and narrow frame fits you as opposed to long and low, you're probably a small in the Shiv. I'm 5'11", 37.5" inseam, 6'3" wingspan (ie all arms and legs) and I'm on a medium and ride a 57cm road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv owners, HELP [NYCTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NYCTri wrote:
How low you are in the front seems to be a big factor on the Shiv. .

Agreed...I was running a 100mm -25* stem on my P2. I just could not get low enough on a Shiv, no matter what size. Hence I ended up with the Shiv TT.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, get a fitting!!

I'm 6'1" and ride a medium. I was certain, certain, certain that I would ride a large until I had a fitting done. I even argued with him that should be riding a large but finally took his advice and bought the medium.

He was right... Fastest bike I've ever owned and the large would have been way too big for me. Also, I started out wanting a long and low bike. The Shiv wasn't even on my list until after my fitter told me I would hate the bike I wanted to buy. My measurements dictated that the Shiv was the best choice.

Glad I got the fitting before I bought the bike!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5'9" on a small
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im a large in Transition and a medium Shiv with a slammed front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost certainly a small. I'm 6'3". I ride a medium Shiv. I ride a 58 Tarmac.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Small. I am 174cm and on a small with the front slammed and very low stack aerobars (had to get rid of the SHiv ones because they are too tall. I could ride an xs quite happily.
If you are interested, here is my setup/position: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ilosoraptor;#4202780
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6'2", 34" Inseam- MED SHIV Tri. According to my stack and reach numbers (from a fitting, I might add), I will fit both Med as well as Lg. Fitter suggested that I'd have more room for adjustment on the MED. I am VERY happy with the fit. Think the Lg would have been too big. This bike is a ROCKET BTW...

The Rolf Workshop: Alignment-Nutrition-Movement http://www.therolfworkshop.com Muscular rebalancing exercise videos at: http://www.therolfworkshop.com/blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next