Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shipping Bike to IM Hawaii
Quote | Reply
I qualified for IM Hawaii at IM CDA. I have airline reservations and a place to stay. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get my bike there. I think I can ship UPS or take it on the plane, but I would appreciate comments on the best way to handle this. Also, I would appreciate recommendations on bike boxes, where to get one, packing tips, etc. Thanks for the help!
Quote Reply
Re: Shipping Bike to IM Hawaii [Fritz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have used a "Tri all 3 sports" case successfully at Hawaii on two ocassions. I would recommend that box highly. My gear never got hurt. Another option is to UPS to B&L bike or Hawaiian Pedals shops in Kona and have them assemble and tune it for you so it's ready to go when you arrive. They each have websites and there is a nominal charge for the service. Give it enough time so you are'nt caught up in the log jam. Good Luck.
Quote Reply
Depends on money [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depending on what airline a bike can go from free to $100 each way. I would book the flight all the way in from home to Kona to avoid a Hawaiian or Aloha bike fee as well. Some curbside checkin will let a bike slide, but with new security measures it is hard to do anything but pay what they ask on the airline.
USPS in the small box is probably the cheapest, Fedex and Big Brown are a tad more. I have never shipped to B&L but Grant at HP/ Kona Bike works is a super guy to deal with. His wife Janet is entered this year and are both a delight to work with. Congratulations and good luck. Aloha G
Quote Reply
Re: Shipping Bike to IM Hawaii [Fritz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would ship it to one of the local shops, last year B&L had a deal running for $40.00 I think. It cost me $125.00 in airline fees last year to get my bike to Kona, and $89.50 Fedex to get it home. I rented a case for $20.00 from a local bike shop.

Good luck in Kona

Rick
Quote Reply