Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ship sinks, swims 8 hours to deserted island...
Quote | Reply
Els Visser, who finished 2nd yesterday at IM Almeere yesterday, has an interesting history...

https://www.elsvisser.com/biography/indonesia/

After I did an internship in Bali and travelled around for 3 months I decided to make a boat trip (August 2014) from Lombok to Komodo during my last week. On the second day in the middle of the night, the boat sank. We had no satellite phone, no GPS or navigational equipment, not even any flares. During the night, I clung to the wreckage, together with 24 people on board. After sunrise in the morning and when no rescue came, I swum together with a woman from New Zealand for shore. It took us 8 hours to make that swim. The island we arrived on was vulcanic and uninhabited. We spent a night on this island and drank our own urine to survive. In the morning we were rescued after attracting the attention of a passing boat by waving our life jackets. Two of the passengers didn’t survive the accident

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: Ship sinks, swims 8 hours to deserted island... [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow...that's an amazing story!
Quote Reply
Re: Ship sinks, swims 8 hours to deserted island... [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now THAT I would give kudos on Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Ship sinks, swims 8 hours to deserted island... [fruit thief] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can we get the garmin file to verify distance ;)

Truly impressive!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's pretty badass, the will to live can be strong as hell when put in those situations. Jumping into the ocean when a boat sinks/fire is one of the scariest things to ever encounter. Just something about losing your "safety net" that is unlike any other situation with land based disasters.

Condloscences to the families who lost loved ones to the sea.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy crap. I wonder who the kiwi chick is.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Ship sinks, swims 8 hours to deserted island... [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Turns out she did her first triathlon, a sprint, in August 2016.

And then won IM Maastricht in May 2018.

Trains with Sutton.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: Ship sinks, swims 8 hours to deserted island... [fruit thief] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fruit thief wrote:
Now THAT I would give kudos on Strava

Fake story unless I see that data. Come on Els.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She indeed win IM Maastricht. Which was a surprise, since she beat Y. van Vlerken!

Some competitors filed complaints that she missed a buoy at the end of the swim (I must admit, that was an easy mistake to make, it took me some extra sighting as well, and I was nowhere near the front of the swimpack, so it was easy for me to follow a few swimmers in front of me). There a lots of witnesses of this. The complaints however were made too late. I believe it was a honest mistake, and it did not make a difference (small shortcut and she won by a big margin)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's some mental training/experience you can take into Ironman racing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scotttriguy wrote:
Turns out she did her first triathlon, a sprint, in August 2016.

And then won IM Maastricht in May 2018.

Trains with Sutton.

afaik she was into running before she started with swimbikerunning, I believe she did a few marathons with a PR of 3 hours and a few mins.

She has a talent for LD triathlons, that is for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Ship sinks, swims 8 hours to deserted island... [Cnasta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cnasta wrote:
She indeed win IM Maastricht. Which was a surprise, since she beat Y. van Vlerken!

Some competitors filed complaints that she missed a buoy at the end of the swim (I must admit, that was an easy mistake to make, it took me some extra sighting as well, and I was nowhere near the front of the swimpack, so it was easy for me to follow a few swimmers in front of me). There a lots of witnesses of this. The complaints however were made too late. I believe it was a honest mistake, and it did not make a difference (small shortcut and she won by a big margin)

Hot news, she got DQ’d dor course cutting. Seems unfair. Misses last buoy, saving a few meters of swimming after passing the last bridge. Saves 28 seconds according to her coach. She states it is true she missed the buoy, but was following instructions/guidances by the organization. To be continued....

Seems harsh and unfair. Van Vlerken can’t be happy/proud winnin this way I guess/hope
Quote Reply