Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shinsplints?
Quote | Reply
A couple of running questions. I am determined to improve my land events this year.

What do shinsplints feel like? I have been creeping up my mileage (who am I kidding - actually running again...) and been getting a pain in my right lower leg towards the outside of the calf. Is this a shinsplint? If so what can I do about it?

How can I tell when my shoes are done? I have been very lax in my running over the last year (I think I only ran 20 times in 2003 - including 2 races) and I have no idea how many miles are on my shoes. I have done about 30 miles in the last two weeks and realized that my shoes are probably getting up there in age.

I have a real mismatch between my cardio endurance and my running endurance. MY legs tire long before I get too out of breath. I find this frustrating because I don't feel like I am getting in a total workout. Is this just a 'put in the miles' thing or can I do some other exercises to build my muscular endurance. I have the same problem on the bike.

Thank you running gods for your help.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Re: Shinsplints? [Yarf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From my own experience the pain from shinsplints is generally felt on the inside of the leg, where the muscle joins the shin bone. It can be quite crippling if left untreated, the RICE method usually works, but prevention, as always is better than cure. I suffered on and off with shinsplints for about 6 years until I was correctly fitted in running shoes, which should be at least 1 to 2 sizes bigger than your street shoe (mine were always the same size) and since then I have had the last 3 years without pain! Of course running on hard surfaces doesn't help either.
I'm no expert so take it for what it's worth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've treated these on numerous occassions in my chiro office. Usually recommend ice/stretching a home and use ultra-sound or electro-therapy in the office. Used to tape them in the old days but haven't used that therapy for years. Custom orthotics can also help. Here's an url:

http://www.time-to-run.com/...big5/shinsplints.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dont forget to warm up and stretch the shins before you start running proper - I found that helped alot

here's what runnersworld.com has to say about them

http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,1-78-79-529,FF.html?site=RunnersWorld

Good luck
Nick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whenever I start getting weird aches or pains in my feet or legs, I generall will switch to a new pair of shoes. They do break down over time, not just mileage. Shin splints are kind of a vague term and can be hard to pinpoint. If the pain is specific to one point, it's bone related and not "shin splints" though. And if your legs get tired before you do aerobically, it may be a technique thing. But running more than 20 times a year will probably be the best thing for ya!
Quote Reply