Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shin Splints: threshold of tolerance
Quote | Reply
Need some advice:

Context: Have been running, not much, since 2013 (around 5k km). A lot of breaks in between. Until last year I was trainning with a local tri group. For my second A race of the year (70.3), after a break, I ramped too much, too fast and with a lot of intensity. Result was severe shin splints to the point I almost had a stress fracture (RMI checked). Stoped for a month, did my race, stoped for another month. Left the tri group and started a self coached project. When I got back to training, very slowly, 20' runs, I started to feel a different sensation on my leg, on the inside part of it. Stoped again for more than a month. Got back at it again and felt the same. Went back to the doctor who said not to worry. Got back at it and after a few weeks it disappeared. For other reasons I did not run since april. Last october I started run again, with 20' runs and slowly ramping (barryP) this volume to 3hrs last week. I started to feel some wierd sensation, like previously, on the inside part of my leg. I can't be sure if it is exactly the same from early this year, but anyway, I'm worried and I don't wont to agravate a possible injury.

The pain is very light to the point I can't call it pain. It´s more like a tingling sensation. Usually happens when I'm standing still or even seated, but not running. It also a few times a day, not constant.

My question is: in the pain spectrum of shin splints, what is torable? Should I keep going and just stop if it aggravates? Or should I take a break and try again in a few weeks? I have orthotics with arch support that I don't use and I'm considering trying it. Any other advice is appreciated. My confidence is very low right now.

edit to add: I'm registered for my first Ironman at the end of may.
Last edited by: binhopires: Dec 6, 19 9:27
Quote Reply
Re: Shin Splints: threshold of tolerance [binhopires] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The old adage we had in track was that shin splints hurt, but they don’t hurt you. Basically exercise on them up to your pain tolerance.

I’ve found that compression calf sleeves worn overnight help a lot. Shin splints are basically tissue pulling away from the tibia, and the compression makes healing easier. A few years ago I had them so bad that even cycling was problematic; two weeks with the compression sleeves cleared things up.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stretch your calf muscles. That usually fixes shinsplints for most runners.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try the "arch supports." Custom orthotics were a godsend to me in my collegiate XC/track days. My shin splits were so bad that merely brushing my shin up against something would send me into a fetal position of extreme pain. Mine were weird in that I could run with them virtually pain free, but they were extremely painful to contact.

But the orthotics fixed 'em almost overnight.

None of the other stuff like stretching or doing calf raises did a damn thing for me. But this is all just me, no idea if they work for other people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you guys!
Appreciate your input!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had shin splints from childhood (60's) up to 2012. In 1984 they did develop into a tibial SF. In 2012, I switched from a heal strike, to a forefoot/midfoot strike running style. The transition took about 6 months, and the shin splints vanished.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
binhopires wrote:
Thank you guys!
Appreciate your input!

"Shin splints" are usually the muscles pulling off the shins. Strengthen by putting some weight/resistance on top of your foot/toes as you pull up/back with that foot/feet.

If you're doing any treadmill running avoid that. Anything that exaggerates toe off or push off is not good.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply