Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shimano hubs and 10/11 speed compatibility
Quote | Reply
I'm not mechanically inclined, but thanks to COVID and Youtube and a shortage of bike mech services in the area I've taught myself to replace most of the groupset on two bikes. However, I need a bit of help understanding how to examine a rear hub and modifying a cassette to go from 10 speed (Shimano, Ultegra preferably) to 11 speed.

Here are the facts:
- I'm working on a 2005 Litespeed Ultimate,.
- I would like to replace the 10 speed cassette with an 11 speed. The shifters and the derailleurs have been done, mostly by waiting for good deals on eBay. That is why things were not done in the proper sequence.
- How do I know if the rear wheel (which dates around 2010 since it came with another bike) has a hub that is compatible with 11 speed?
- Does hub compatibility have anything to do with wheel axles?
- I understand that if the 11 speed cassette is compatible with the wheel's existing hub, then the difference 10 speed and 11 speed is spacing between the cogs. An 11 speed cassette is 1.85mm 'thicker' than a 10 speed cassette. Does that mean that all I need to do is buy another cog (for a total of 11) and swap the spacer closest to the hub? Is it the spacing between all the cogs that is different? How does it line up with cable pull in the shifter and the derailleur?

I do Google all of this. The problem isn't so much that I don't understand the instructions, it's that I have a hard time with the terminology since there's no one around to point out the parts. If anyone can provide a Dummies 101 explanation of a hub and spacing I would be most grateful. I don't want to order an 11 speed cassette and then realize that in fact I needed an entire new wheel first.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano hubs and 10/11 speed compatibility [hyr00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 10spd axle is the same width as the 11spd.

The 8/9/10 speed freehub body is shorter than an 11spd (since the cassettes are not as wide). So if you wanted to put a 10spd cassette on an 11spd hub you add a spacer at the back.

Lots of people have hacked 10spd freehubs by machining/grinding back the freehub body so that an 11spd fits.

https://www.youtube.com/...l=Sam%27sDIYsandMore

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano hubs and 10/11 speed compatibility [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's it.
On a 10 speed hub from circa 2010 it wasn't designed to fit the slightly longer 11 speed cassette (as 11 speed didn't exist at that time).
Later hubs were a little longer (1.8mm) so that they would take a 10 or 11 speed cassette. In this case when a 10 speed cassette is fitted, and extra 1.8mm wide spacer is slid onto the hub 1st.

The 2 routes to get an 11 speed cassette onto a 10 speed freehub is either

- take 1.8mm off the face of the freehub that contacts the back of the cassette- like Titanflexr has shown. IF there's enough material to do it.

- take 1.8mm off the back face of the aluminium 'carrier' for the largest few sprockets on the cassette). That needs machining as it's putting in a recess the same diameter or slightly bigger than the freehub body. Easy enough for a machine shop on a milling machine or lathe.

Note with either method here's some min size of cassette teeth on the biggest sprocket so it and the chain clear the spokes. From memory something like 28 teeth (I may be wrong there!!) Bu certainly an 11-23 will be fouling the spokes !!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You cannot buy one more cog and add it if the cassette body is 11 speed. You'll need an 11 speed cassette.

With that said, if your cassette body has enough room on it to file 1.85mm of it then that's an option. I had one that wasn't and had to replace the hub.

If you have a contact at a machine shop you may be able to take 1.85mm out of the back of the cassette. This will work with most hubs. I haven't seen one that it won't work but I'm sure they exist.

You could also get an Ultegra 11-34 and it will fit on with no modifications. You'll need a derailleur that can handle the 34 like a R7000 or R8000 long cage derailleur.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to run an 11 speed drivetrain with an older 8/9/10 speed rear wheel, there some very easy solutions, most are explained here:
https://darkspeedworks.com/blog-11speed.htm

(However, one mod that is usually NOT recommended is modifying the freehub body on the hub. That mod is usually problematic, as the removal of metal from the freehub body can lead to cracking or other problems down the road.)

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano hubs and 10/11 speed compatibility [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Thanks for info on this - I've got a PRO 10-speed disc tubular which I picked up for pocket change hoping that a direct change of the freehub body from 10 to 11 would be possible, but unfortunately not.
Time to find an 11-speed cassette and get it milled I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano hubs and 10/11 speed compatibility [altayloraus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have difficulty finding someone local, try Lasco Concept (linked on that page), they do a great job, we use their modded cassettes on our wheels.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet - cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any machine shop can take 1.85mm off the back of a cassette.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano hubs and 10/11 speed compatibility [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
You could also get an Ultegra 11-34 and it will fit on with no modifications. You'll need a derailleur that can handle the 34 like a R7000 or R8000 long cage derailleur.

Do you know if the cs-hg800 is still in production? I've been trying to source one as a replacement but they are all sold out. Guessing just part of the global shortage, and I can't see why shimano would drop this.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano hubs and 10/11 speed compatibility [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought one for a friend December 30th from JensonUSA.

Appears they are out of stock right now but it's available at competitivecyclist.com
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/...fzpjhdcaAgMEEALw_wcB
Last edited by: jaretj: Feb 8, 21 17:51
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano hubs and 10/11 speed compatibility [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano hubs and 10/11 speed compatibility [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Ok neither of those ship to me (that's life, my choice to live in hobbiton). But just seems low stock not discontinued.

Back to original topic.😁
Quote Reply