Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shimano TR-01
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried the new Shimano Tri shoe (TR-01)? It looks pretty nice for Sprint and Olympic distance racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano TR-01 [T2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just ordered a pair, planning to use them for sprint, olympic, and ironman

-------------------------
http://www.ventuscustoms.com Custom Bicycle Painting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair and love them, but shoes and seats are kind of hard to recommend to others- depends on your anatomy. Only complaint is that I have to be careful that strap is secure since the loose end is on the inside of foot. If in a hurry, I have add extra strapping that brushes against the crank- not a problem-just need to make sure velcro is secure. Otherwise, I love the easly of use, feel and suprisingly, the venting.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano TR-01 [Mantis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just ordered a pair as well. The only concern I had, other than the one you mentioned, was whether or not the single strap would provide enough stability/support. What are your thoughts?

All in all the shoe looks light and super-fast to get in and out of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any one know how compatible they are with Speedplay's? I was going to get a pair of Sidi T1's this week because they don't need a shim to work with Speedplays.

Marcel
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano TR-01 [Marcel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Tr-01's and Speedplay x2's. They do need a small shim to provide a flat surface for the cleats to mount to. Wasn't an issue for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair and my only complaint is the walking points aren't replaceable. When they do finally grind down I plan to take them to Dan's "shoe guy" in Encinitas to see if he can fab up replacement walking points.

Other than that, they are comfortable without socks, well vented and stiff as a... well stiff as a carbon fiber shoe... :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We just got some in and I'm impressed. I can't decide if I'm a 41.5 or a 41. Someone mentioned they though they would be good for sprint or Olympic distance. The way they fit me (width wise, not sure about length yet) I think they might be nice for IM distance. All in all, the first shoe to give the Sidi T-1 a real run for its money. And, BONUS!, the strap opens in the "right" direction: Away from the drivetrain. Awesome.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano TR-01 [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to read these reviews. I'm getting ready to replace my Carnac Tri (TR-6?) Bike Shoes & had looked at the Shimano's.

I love my Carnac's & the've been great through 2 Ironman's, a couple of 1/2's & numerous short distance races. The only thing I don't like is as Tom mentioned that the strap opens to the inside. That wouldn't cause me not to buy them again & I probably will. (until the shimano's have some history). But I just wonder why Carnac still has the strap going the wrong way after all these years? It just makes it hassle when you want to leave your shoes clipped-in in a tri.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will not be disappointed with the new Shimano shoe. Great sole, heel cup is beautiful, and the strap works like a charm. It's very stable with just the one strap, and in my opinion, blows the crap out of the Sidi T1 on the better sole alone. I had a pair of Sidi's before I got the Shimano's, and had the heel cup pull right off the sole. If this ever happens in the Shimano's, I'm sure my foot will still be in it.

I race Olympic distance and they work like a charm. Was forced to buy them (because the Sidi's crapped out) two days before leaving for worlds last year. Used them without issue, actually easier to get into and out of than the Sidi's.

Enjoy. They're a great shoe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, any thought on how they work (or would work) with the Zero's?

Marcel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Again- depends on personal tastes and anatomy- but I have no complaints about the stability/support of one strap. Had a beautiful day today and I have a duathlon this weekend so went out on my race set up and gave the shoes (which I only wear with my race bike) some more thought- still love them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, please give the strap/shoe 101 class. I bought a pare of the Lake Tri shoes, and was pretty impressed, with both quality and affordability (not so impressed with the esteteics). The velcro strap opens away from the drivetrain, which thru me for a loop. Please open my eyes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TR1 shoe single strap is a lot thicker than the Carnacs that my wife has, plus there is a piece just under the strap that adds to over the top stability. Used them at IMNZ and they rock! This is my first 1 strap shoe coming from carnac ellipse 3 straps. I have found my new love.

BTW, I have long but thin feet and had an extra 2 inches of strap past the velcro. Made an alteration and superglued an extra 2 inches of velcro. Didn't want to cut the strap for fear of losing some stability/security.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a couple of Shimano shoes that I rather like so I tried these on. I didn't like them. The biggest reason was that they simply didn't fit my feet well. But another problem I had with these shoes, which is similar to other "tri" shoes like the Sidi T-1, was that I don't think the single strap (or in the case of the Sidis, 2 straps) was sufficient closure for larger feet. I have a size 47 / 48 foot and the single strap simply didn't provide enough support for me. I imagine these shoes would be great in smaller sizes. If you have big feet these might not be the way to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano TR-01 [jTenniswood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeff, go to our website Friday Afternoon for the full story... It will be the new top story.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano TR-01 [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's is interesting that you say they don't work well for larger feet. One of the things I have heard is that they accomodate a wider/larger foot much better with the wider toe box. Combined with a carbon sole and wider strap I would think these would be a win/win and given the majority of responses it would seem so. However, I just ordered a pair (I wear a 47) and I am now a little worried!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, not trying to worry you! My impression is not that the shoe doesn't larger feet, it's that on longer feet there is more... I don't know what to call it... tongue length, opening length, there is more real estate that must be held closed by the laces or straps or whatever. If you take two shoes, one short and one long, each with a single 1.5 inch wide strap, the smaller shoe will have a larger percentage of the opening length covered by the strap. It is my contention that there comes a point where this distance becomes long enough to require another strap. Picture a button down dress shirt with only 4 buttons. 4 Buttons might work great on a Toddler, but probably won't work as well on a guy who is 6'6".

I have yet to try on a one or two strap shoe that I think works for me. Although the Time 2 strap shoe (which I haven't tried on) looks like it will fit the bill due to its design. So I'm firmly in the 3 strap camp when it comes to choosing shoes for myself. (Maybe I just am too tied to the feeling of a snug fit across the forefoot) Obviously though, there are many with big feet who will disagree with me. Hopefully you will like the shoes and disagree with me too. Do me a favor and give an update once you get them. I'll be interested to hear what you think.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano TR-01 [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I definitely understood what you meant about the larger feet. I too have always wondered about a single strap being snug enough when you have all the extra foot and toe length hanging out. That is why when I saw these and the strap width, that this might be the right show for speed and comfort.

I am not overly concerned with a snug toe box but I don't want the shoe sliding all over. I appreciate your comments and will let you know after I have tried them out a little. Crossing my fingers that they work for me!!
Quote Reply