Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shimano Shoe Fit - New RC9 S-PHYPRE vs. older R321
Quote | Reply
I'm currently wearing the R321, and found a deal on the newer RC9.

With the R321 I'm in a size Euro 42.5 / US 8.7
With the RC9 the same size feels small / tight and I am inclined to buy a Euro 43 / US 8.9

https://bike.shimano.com/...shimano/SH-R321.html
https://bike.shimano.com/...-phyre/SH-RC900.html

Simple question: have any of you worn these shoes and if so, do you also find the new RC9 fits tight and necessitates a larger size?

(it's a lot of coin … I want to get it right!)

Thanks - Doug
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Shoe Fit - New RC9 S-PHYPRE vs. older R321 [DougWelsby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've ridden both extensively. I was on the R321 for two years (11K miles) and now on the RC9 since December (5.5K miles). In the same size I find that the RC9 is a closer fit. I don't think it's a size smaller, just more snug. Overall it's more comfortable than my R321 but there is less room for my foot to move. There aren't any new hotspots or points of discomfort or anything like that.

Note that I am an S-Phyre dealer and I have experienced the same fitting my clients in the performance shoes (RP9, RC9, RC7). They don't change sizes, they just experience a closer fit.

They don't stretch so if you're thinking that they'll loosen up over time, it's likely that they won't.

I am toying with the idea of trying the "wide" version of the RC9 but I'm concerned it'll be loose and sloppy.

If the length is ok then depending on how tight the 42.5 felt you might want to try the 42.5 wide. A 43 normal and a 42.5 wide will have similar volume but the 42.5 will be shorter.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Shoe Fit - New RC9 S-PHYPRE vs. older R321 [Chris B.O.B.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Chris.

The SH-R321 says R321W in the shoe - is that a wide indicator?
The RC9 says RC900-SL in the shoe - wide or normal?

If the R321W indicates that it's a wide shoe, that might be explaining the feeling I get in the 42.5 RC9. It's snug...

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Shoe Fit - New RC9 S-PHYPRE vs. older R321 [DougWelsby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does it say "wide" on the tongue? I can't remember that far back whether the "W" in the code is for "white" or for "wide". It currently indicates "white".
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Shoe Fit - New RC9 S-PHYPRE vs. older R321 [Chris B.O.B.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, just W, so it's probably for White (it's white and black color).

Thank you for your help!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure that Shimano uses E as the designation for their wide width shoes (E being width).
R321 was a sloppy fitting shoe- Much more volume.
I could see needing a larger RC9 depending on how your R321 shoes were sized.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Shoe Fit - New RC9 S-PHYPRE vs. older R321 [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just able to check my RC9’s, R321’s and R240’s. My white RC9’s are not wide and have the W in the code for white. My white 321’s are not wide and have the W. My black wide 240’s have an E in the code. My black regular width 240’s do not have the E.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never had the R321 but rode in the R315 for years and the last year in the RC9 S-Phyre. Same size for both - in my case 46.
Quote Reply