Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Shimano Scam Wh-9100 C60 wheels
Quote | Reply
Two years ago I got Dura Ace C50 (aluminum rims) and like those hoops, but always wanted the rims to be wider. Last year Shimano announced new model C60 with rim width 25mm and internal 19mm.

Dream came through, that is what I thought...

I bought my C60 hoops form Evens cycles last week, I’m going to pick up them today from UPS, I paid 2400CAD for them, and apparently I just realized they are exactly the same as my old C50 rims !!!

Shimano what a scam.

Most troubling for me are all internet “reviewers” pseudo journalists, removed any reference to C60 rims from their old reviews. Shimano doctored their site as well, and now they reference the same dimensions as old C50, so C50 and C60 is the same thing with different sticker.
Many websites which I will not mention here for now, totally modified their old content and removed, measurements, and weight etc….and any reference to C60 with aluminum rims, without any explanation.

I already paid duty online 450$. Bottom line I do not want them if they are really the same as my old C50.
What should I do, I do not want to pay for shipping back to Evans cycle… Should I pick them up or there is some way of returning without pickup and how to go about getting duty back?

I’m super disappointed with Shimano and shady way of doing business, and even more with all the online reviews, most likely they didn’t even have those wheels in their hands, or they would not remove the content without any explanation.

Anyone has experience with returning not picked up items plus getting duty back?
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Scam Wh-9100 C60 wheels [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sebo2000 wrote:
Two years ago I got Dura Ace C50 (aluminum rims) and like those hoops, but always wanted the rims to be wider. Last year Shimano announced new model C60 with rim width 25mm and internal 19mm.

Dream came through, that is what I thought...

I bought my C60 hoops form Evens cycles last week, I’m going to pick up them today from UPS, I paid 2400CAD for them, and apparently I just realized they are exactly the same as my old C50 rims !!!

Shimano what a scam.

Most troubling for me are all internet “reviewers” pseudo journalists, removed any reference to C60 rims from their old reviews. Shimano doctored their site as well, and now they reference the same dimensions as old C50, so C50 and C60 is the same thing with different sticker.
Many websites which I will not mention here for now, totally modified their old content and removed, measurements, and weight etc….and any reference to C60 with aluminum rims, without any explanation.

I already paid duty online 450$. Bottom line I do not want them if they are really the same as my old C50.
What should I do, I do not want to pay for shipping back to Evans cycle… Should I pick them up or there is some way of returning without pickup and how to go about getting duty back?

I’m super disappointed with Shimano and shady way of doing business, and even more with all the online reviews, most likely they didn’t even have those wheels in their hands, or they would not remove the content without any explanation.

Anyone has experience with returning not picked up items plus getting duty back?


Dont pick them up.
Call the retailer.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Scam Wh-9100 C60 wheels [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So far this website has the info you apparently thought you were getting

https://www.bike24.com/p2207498.html


Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Scam Wh-9100 C60 wheels [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heres a thread from weightweenie forum about all this

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/...php?f=3&t=143554


Edit-I sent that link to multiple cycling new sites and none thought it news worthy enough to publish anything on it, sad
Last edited by: Tifosi01: Mar 10, 17 9:36
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Scam Wh-9100 C60 wheels [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Figure out what is the cheapest way to get them back to Evans, either refusing the shipment, or shipping back yourself. Maybe contact Evans to discuss that. Then, once they have refunded you, you can print forms from Canada Customs website to fill out and submit with your receipts (purchase, refund, customs paid, etc) and you will eventually get a refund of the import taxes/duty. But any 'brokerage' fees you paid to the courier company, that's likely gone.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Scam Wh-9100 C60 wheels [Tifosi01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tifosi01 wrote:
Heres a thread from weightweenie forum about all this


http://weightweenies.starbike.com/...php?f=3&t=143554


Edit-I sent that link to multiple cycling new sites and none thought it news worthy enough to publish anything on it, sad


That is what pisses me off... most of those sites were probably "reviewing" those wheels without even looking at them, just copy/pasting text from Shimano marketing department, now they were told to remove piece about wheels with aluminium rims, and they complied it 100%

Every site on first page of Google when searching "dura ace 9000 c60 review" doctored their original review removing pieces about wheels with alu rims...

https://www.google.com/#q=dura+ace+9000+c60+review&*



I called EvansCycle and explained the whole story, Amie (customer rep) told me she sees difference between Shimano and their website, she said to accept the wheels and measure them, if size will be different from what is posted at EvansCycle, they will give me full refund and pay for shipping back, if size will be the same and I will still decided to return them (I will surly gladly keep them) I will be responsible for shipping back and will not get refund for shipping part.
I guess that is fair deal and honest seller, I will pick this cluster f@cks tonight and see how C50s are the same as C60s ...:(

Apparently Shimano sent this sneaky undercover note to one of the other disappointed customer.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Scam Wh-9100 C60 wheels [Tifosi01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe this is something to send to the 'ask Lennard Zinn' column at Velonews? He is tight with the Shimano guys and may be able to get you an answer.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Scam Wh-9100 C60 wheels [JesseN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JesseN wrote:
Maybe this is something to send to the 'ask Lennard Zinn' column at Velonews? He is tight with the Shimano guys and may be able to get you an answer.

I think "tight with the Shimano guys" is kind of the problem with the cycling media.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Scam Wh-9100 C60 wheels [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's why I assume no one published the story, they don't want to risk pissing shimsno off and not being invited to review the latest and greatest from Shimano.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Scam Wh-9100 C60 wheels [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a debacle for Shimano as noted in the thread. So many retailers have not updated the specs for this alum-carbon wheel to reflect no change in outer width and inner width.

For example of old specs:
http://www.trisports.com/shimano-dura-ace-r9100-c60-clincher-wheelset.html
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nz/en/shimano-dura-ace-9100-c60-clincher-wheelset/rp-prod155061


The bike24 gets the widths correct but lists the rim height as 60mm where it is still only 50mm.
Last edited by: Pantelones: Mar 10, 17 17:00
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Scam Wh-9100 C60 wheels [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, F Shimano wheels. I just bought a set of Hed jet 4 plus instead. By the way, the "C40" clinchers are the same old ass C35 rims too...
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Scam Wh-9100 C60 wheels [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, rims are still narrow too. Widths not 24mm either.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Scam Wh-9100 C60 wheels [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:
This is a debacle for Shimano as noted in the thread. So many retailers have not updated the specs for this alum-carbon wheel to reflect no change in outer width and inner width.

That's what really bothers me, Shimano announced the spec, which are misleading to begin with, and not are even what they initially said they were. So unless a perspective buyer stumbles upon one of the retailers that have actually updated their listing to show the correct specs they'd never know that they're paying for something they're not getting.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Scam Wh-9100 C60 wheels [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, this super blows! I'm so sorry! I almost did the exact same thing except I accidentally ran into that weight weenies post. It is crazy horrible what Shimano did with these wheels and the online descriptions. They should do some sort of exchange or something.
I was pumped about the wheels and planned to get the C40s and 60s. And, you're right, the reviews made it sound like the updates were for all the wheels, not just tubular and disc. Sorry man. I feel your pain.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Scam Wh-9100 C60 wheels [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow so glad I ran into this post. I have run HED wheels for a long time now and was on the brink of giving something else a go just for a change really. So glad I read this and a few links, not investing in these wheels now. Very misleading and I believe very typical of how the 'in crowd' work in the cycle industry. Back to reliable old HED for me I guess. I am sure you will get a refund on the postage otherwise it's basically mis-selling products.


He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Scam Wh-9100 C60 wheels [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not followed advertisements and announcements made pre-release however, the C60 rim is almost 23mm wide and optimized for a 25 tire. At Paris Roubaix last year some were riding 27 and 28 tires so these work fine too. I guess if you want to run 30 or 32 then maybe you need a wider rim. But Shimano takes feedback from the pros and they are not asking for wider rims to my knowledge.

Nevertheless, their introduction advertisement should be accurate, we would hope.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Scam Wh-9100 C60 wheels [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NealH wrote:
I have not followed advertisements and announcements made pre-release however, the C60 rim is almost 23mm wide and optimized for a 25 tire. At Paris Roubaix last year some were riding 27 and 28 tires so these work fine too. I guess if you want to run 30 or 32 then maybe you need a wider rim. my knowledge.

Nevertheless, their introduction advertisement should be accurate, we would hope.


It's not just an issue of quibbling over opinions of optimal width. Shimano announced an all-new family of wheels with different shapes, width, and depth. Clincher and tubular. But the clincher C60 appears to be the exact same rim as the outgoing C50, just with different graphics. And the clincher C40 appears to be exactly the same as the C35. You do get the new hubs, though.

Quote:
But Shimano takes feedback from the pros and they are not asking for wider rims to my knowledge.


The tubular versions of the C60 and C40 *do* have the new deeper, wider rim. And pros ride tubulars. So this doesn't affect pros. Just the average recreational consumer.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 11, 17 6:18
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Scam Wh-9100 C60 wheels [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
earthling wrote:
Wow so glad I ran into this post. I have run HED wheels for a long time now and was on the brink of giving something else a go just for a change really. So glad I read this and a few links, not investing in these wheels now. Very misleading and I believe very typical of how the 'in crowd' work in the cycle industry. Back to reliable old HED for me I guess. I am sure you will get a refund on the postage otherwise it's basically mis-selling products.


Small update, I picked up the package, open the box and measured Shimano C60 wheels.

Wow they are exactly the same as my Shimano C50 wheels, those are exactly the same wheels, rims, hubs with different sticker on the rim and different sign on the hub 9100 vs 9000.

External rim width 22.7mm
Internal 17mm
Rim depth 50mm

They are going back to EvansCycle, I think I'm gonna go for Hed Jet 6 plus.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Scam Wh-9100 C60 wheels [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have my sympathies, that really is shocking from Shimano.

You have to laugh that their "flagship" clinchers are now 13 years old and will be 15+ years by the time that they see another update; sure, technology hasn't moved on that much since 2004 has it?!

I can only imagine that it's one huge cock-up and miscommunication between marketing and engineering, because they can't realistically expect to trumpet a new wider, deeper-rim wheelset and expect no-one to notice that they're exactly the same as the old ones! As for renaming them C40s and C60s when they're exactly the same as the C35s and C50s, goodness knows what they're thinking...

Thanks for posting as I was very interested in these.
Last edited by: awenborn: Mar 13, 17 8:20
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Scam Wh-9100 C60 wheels [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get the HED JET6+ BLACKS

Formerly MTBSully
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Scam Wh-9100 C60 wheels [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
You have to laugh that their "flagship" clinchers are now 13 years old and will be 15+ years by the time that they see another update; sure, technology hasn't moved on that much since 2004 has it?!

My hunch is that there will be NO update to their rim brake clincher wheels ever. Probably they will discontinue the rim brake rims with R9200 and keep only the rim / disc tubular and disc clincher versions. I'm sure they had decided this before, so there was no reason to invest in developing a new alloy rim for just one product cycle. I'd be surprised if there were tons of road bikes with rim brakes in 2020/2021 when they come out with the R9200.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Scam Wh-9100 C60 wheels [nemeseri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You think all the current bikes are going to vaporize and disappear?
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Scam Wh-9100 C60 wheels [Silvercivic27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, but the market of rim brake wheels will be tiny, given the overwhelming majority of new bikes will be disc equipped for years by then.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Scam Wh-9100 C60 wheels [nemeseri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nemeseri wrote:
awenborn wrote:
You have to laugh that their "flagship" clinchers are now 13 years old and will be 15+ years by the time that they see another update; sure, technology hasn't moved on that much since 2004 has it?!


My hunch is that there will be NO update to their rim brake clincher wheels ever. Probably they will discontinue the rim brake rims with R9200 and keep only the rim / disc tubular and disc clincher versions. I'm sure they had decided this before, so there was no reason to invest in developing a new alloy rim for just one product cycle. I'd be surprised if there were tons of road bikes with rim brakes in 2020/2021 when they come out with the R9200.

Your story doesn't quite fit. If they'd decided it before they wouldn't have announced something different then switched at the last second. There is no brand return-on-investment to having customers take delivery of something different from what they were expecting. This is Shimano, not a factory-direct open mold company.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Scam Wh-9100 C60 wheels [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, you are right. But it's hard to find a reason to explain how on earth they want to call a 50mm deep wheel c60. Maybe somebody decided last minute they didn't want to quit selling the clincher rim brake models and they just somehow miscommunicated the specification of the rim, or somebody just put the wrong numbers into the specification. Anyway it's a huge mess up for a company as large as Shimano.
Quote Reply

Prev Next