Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shimano RC9T - As a triathlon shoe?
Quote | Reply
First, I tried to search a few different keywords on the forum but was not successful, so apologies if there is a post about this somewhere else.

Second, I have become a big fan of the Shimano RC9 road shoes over the last few years. I was on the hunt for a replacement pair, as my current pair has seen better days. For an Ironman, I am fine with taking the extra time to put the shoes on in T1, however was curious if anyone had tried the RC9-T version of the shoe in a triathlon setting. It looks similar to the LG Tri Air shoe, aside from the buckle and BOA location being opposite. Any feedback for using this shoe in a half iron or ironman race setting?

IG: NCGregory8778
Last edited by: Savage8778: Mar 25, 21 6:46
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano RC9T - As a triathlon shoe? [Savage8778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a recent thread about the RC9 as a long course shoe. But, I did not see anything on the forum either about the -T version. Is that a new product?

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Shimano_RC9_vs_TR9_P7439621
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think what we all need from a long distance tri shoe varies as much as our running shoes.

Do you want to do a flying mount? Is every milliwatt important? Aiming for hot weather tris? Pointy end, making cut off or somewhere in between? Some people are going to walk through T1, shoes in hand and maybe what they want from a tri shoe is the same as a regular cycling shoe.

I'd phrase the question in terms of what you know you need from a tri shoe.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano RC9T - As a triathlon shoe? [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To the previous point, I believe this is a new version/product. This only has one BOA, and not two like the typical RC9.

For me personally, I like the lower profile advertised on the BOA as well as the slightly lower profile that they state. What I am looking for is a shoe that is easier to get on through a flying/on-the-go mount. The RC9s do not have a place that I have found useful to attach to the bike via rubberbands. I most definitely prefer a shoe with at least one BOA on it though, as I feel that the velcro on most tri shoes wears out rather quickly. My favorite pair of Tri shoes for a 70.3 (I would say below, but I do not race under 70.3 since I am old and fat now) are the LG Tri-400.

FWIW, I am (I think) a front of pack athlete, although towards the slower end of that pack (70.3=4:3x, and 140.6=9:5x:00)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used the RC9 in 70.3 (I leave them on the bike). They are easy to get into on the bike (the RC9 at least open really wide, much more so than the RC7 -- not sure if this is the case with this new version).

Apart from that, as far as shoes go they work fine for me -- the fit is better/more accommodating than the shoes I use for olympic/sprint distance, and the upper is comfortable (as said above, apart from mounting/getting them on the bigger question is how they work for you on the bike).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me I think the interesting part would be how you keep the opening wide. Maybe you don't need that as much but I like the way velcro tri shoes stay open.

Shimano have a (slightly odd) image of the heel cutaway. Maybe the heel pad unscrews and that might help add a band. Might be a misleading image though. But even if it doesn't just hot glue something to the back. Trail runners do it so you can keep a gaiter from rolling up.

Zelcro wise you could keep an addition piece attached 90% of the time and let the loops wear on that sacrificial bit. Or just pick the stitching on the bit that's worn and get a professional to sew in a replacement.

What I've learnt is that I like seeing things like this in hand and I'll be willing to pay the extra to buy it that way when we are able to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From my understanding the rc9t is a track specific shoe. Im not very familiar with it, or track shoes for that matter lol, but if I had to guess it would be more of a lock fit and more power transfer at the expense of comfort over long distance. I use the rc901 for really anything 70.3 and over and couldn't be happier. I haven't had any olympic tris but may even consider for them as well. I would go with the regular not the track version.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/11645943 https://www.instagram.com/timeforicecream/
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano RC9T - As a triathlon shoe? [DylanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What’s interesting is I saw on one of the sites that listed this show it was for Crit, Time Trial, or Track. With that being said, I think you are right in regards to long term comfort.

Thanks again for the all the input! I will stick with my LG Tri400 for 70.3 and below, and my RC9 for Ironman.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just read Shimano's description, and it is designed for track. The main design change was eliminating the front BOA to work with track bike tow straps. So, it looks like they created a stiffer upper and new wire closure to compensate for the loss of the 2nd BOA closure.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano RC9T - As a triathlon shoe? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that settles that - no application of this shoe in the triathlon world. Thank you, exxxviii.

Quote Reply