Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shimano Indoor cycling shoes good for triathlon?
Quote | Reply
I've been researching the various threads on mods made to the Giro Empire to make an aero race shoe. I'm considering getting the Scott RC lace up shoe to try something similar.

Came across these and wondered what peoples thoughts are:

https://shimanoindoor.com/...en/products/sh-ic100

Pros-

Breathable
Fairly light
Look like they'd be aero as the strap lies flat
Easy to slip on?
Heel tab for bands

Cons-

Sole stiffness. Thinking this could be the deal breaker.

Has anyone got a pair of these they can report on?
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Indoor cycling shoes good for triathlon? [jn46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those look pretty decent (aero-wise). I would have to try them on to see if they would work.

I’m in the market for a new pair of shoes and it seems like most of the triathlon specific shoes have a forefoot strap. I hate that from an aesthetic and aero perspective. Fiziks shoes look pretty good but they didn’t fit my foot.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Indoor cycling shoes good for triathlon? [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking of getting a pair to try them out, and might just keep them for turbo if they fit well. I've been reading up on sole stiffness and believe the difference between composite and carbon is less than 1w. I guess with steady state nature of the bike leg there is a less of a call for super stiff anyway as no sprints etc.

Lots of marketing pictures of them being worn sockless, so likely pretty comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YES!!!
I've got my eyes on those. My current shimano cycling shoes (spd) were advertised as "spin class" shoes about 6 years ago. They came with speed laces, are light, and the most comfortable cycling shoes I've ever had. They work fantastic for running through transitions, and I'm sure more aero than more conventional cycling shoes. I looked, but I cannot find my model, so I'm assuming they are no longer available. These look like the same idea, only a generation or two newer.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure they would work well for tris.

-The strap creates a ridge across outside of the shoe, which is likely to be less aero than a couple of BOA dials.

-The strap opens toward the crank/drivetrain; not sure about potential interference issues during transitions.

-On the plus side they are inexpensive (and can be dedicated to trainer duty if they don't work for tris). Lack of a tongue is a plus for entry. The sole stiffness is a non-issue from a watts/performance standpoint (really more of a feel/preference thing).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Indoor cycling shoes good for triathlon? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d like to see a poll for what everyone is using for races. I’m doing mostly short course with the occasional 70.3. I understand that a lot of folks use road shoes for long course but I want something fairly aero that’s easy to get on and off. I’d rather not go through the Giro Empire hack route if there’s something off the shelf that is working for most people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jn46 wrote:
I'm thinking of getting a pair to try them out, and might just keep them for turbo if they fit well. I've been reading up on sole stiffness and believe the difference between composite and carbon is less than 1w. I
That's because carbon is composite.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Indoor cycling shoes good for triathlon? [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very true, should have specified as nylon composite.
Quote Reply