Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shimano E Tube Firmware update failure
Quote | Reply
So, added the blue tooth connection device to my di2 setup today. Made the blue tooth connection and it immediately starts to update the firmware. This update fails after making ten percent of the progress. Now the entire di2 system is dead. I cannot get the a junction box to do anything. No lights will light up, nothing.

I tried a fix from other user forums to unplug all of the items from the junction a and then rep lug them in but this did not do anything. So now I am stuck trying to get my system up with absolutely no idea how.

Any thoughts?

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano E Tube Firmware update failure [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you might have to take it into a shop or find someone with SM-PCE1. I had a similar problem which update stopped on updating firmware on battery holder. I wasn't able to fix it with bluetooth connection or hard connection with internal battery charger. I ended up getting the holder exchanged under warranty.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano E Tube Firmware update failure [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was really hoping for a magic answer other than take it to a shop. Shoot.

Thanks

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano E Tube Firmware update failure [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I loaded the e tube software on my pc and connected the bike. It appeared to update the firmware but then the junction a green light was quickly flashing and I fail to connect to the app on my phone. And it still does not function on the bike.

With the software on my pc, does that one up any other potential fix options?

Ryan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ryans wrote:
So, added the blue tooth connection device to my di2 setup today. Made the blue tooth connection and it immediately starts to update the firmware. This update fails after making ten percent of the progress. Now the entire di2 system is dead. I cannot get the a junction box to do anything. No lights will light up, nothing.

I tried a fix from other user forums to unplug all of the items from the junction a and then rep lug them in but this did not do anything. So now I am stuck trying to get my system up with absolutely no idea how.

Any thoughts?

The cause is likely the same issue I've experienced several times (because I'm apparently not a learning organism): the BT Di2 battery comes barely charged, so as soon as you connect to it from the app and it starts updating the firmware, it runs out of juice.

The fix steps for me have been:

1. Charge the battery and try again. You will probably need to "forget" the device in the BT settings on your phone and then re-pair.
2. Sometimes that doesn't work. Then you need to take it to the LBS and have them use a Windows box with the connector and unbrick it.
3. The Mac doesn't work, unfortunately, because Shimano uses Windows-specific USB drivers that aren't present even on a Bootcamp-installed version of Windows on the Mac. Boo. Hiss.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure you turn bluetooth off on your phone and disconnect from the app then turn bluetooth back on. Often you have to turn bluetooth off on your phone to make DI2 work again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if it gives any comfort, BT & Di2 was/is a nightmare for me, too. My system died as well when attempting the firmware update (battery was full). I must admit I can't recall how I rescued it. Problem was you can only update the BT unit/junction wirelessly. Tried 3 Android phones. Would never work. Tried my wifes iphone, worked. However, ever since accessing the Di2 system with either phone is highly buggy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I only connect via PC these days. To risky. When you look into the various forums many other people having issues with this as well. I understand, BT (especially under Android) can be challenging but all my other apps seem to work as well. One would think a Japanese company could come up with a more robust system.

However, still love riding my Di2. Never go back to mechanical.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounded like the firmware update bricked your battery. You don't need to take to a shop, but you do need a PC (sorry Mac users, Shimano don't make software for you) and potentially the PCE1 cable/brick thingy. This is what you need to do to un-bricked it.

First, connect the whole system through A junction via the BCR2 (the internal battery charger) to PC. If you are lucky, the e-tube software will recognize it and let you restore the firmware. Make sure your system is clean and the USB driver is up-to-date when you do this (no Garmin Express or other USB hogging apps running).

Sometime, even if the system recognize the Di2 system and all its components, the battery firmware restore will still fail. In that case, your only option is to use the PCE1 thingy. What the PCE1, you can connect JUST the battery to the PC and force the e-tube software to just update/restore the firmware on individual component.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano E Tube Firmware update failure [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, since I do not have the PCE1 item, a shop is really my only hope I guess?

This is where I got to last night with my PC. It seemed to take care of some things, but still seemed to leave with an error that the software said to fix through connecting with the PCE1 connector (which I do not have...).

Thanks.

Ryan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup... or your friend or riding buddy may have one. It's gonna be $50 or more if the shop does it, and you might as well get one from Amazon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same issue. What I did was:

1. Disconnect the entire system for a couple minutes
2. Connect the WU111 to the battery only
3. Pair the two to your phone/tablet..my case was an iPad
4. After the phone/table pairs, ensure that you E-TUBE version is updated
5. Unpair device and reconnect everything with the WU111 and Battery last. I have mine connected with the Di2 wire from the Battery not the Junction in front
6. After everything is connected, activate the WU111 and pair to your device
7. Run a system test first through the E-TUBE so everything has been recognized by the software
8. Set up how you want shifting thru E-TUBE
9. Here is where I updated all the firmware it may take sometime to finish, about an hour for me
10. Disconnect WU111 from your device
11. Wait a 5-10 minutes then, cycle thru each light sequence on your Junction Box stopping where you want your shifting.
Last edited by: mike s: Jul 3, 21 19:27
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano E Tube Firmware update failure [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am glad these steps worked out for you. There are a lot of voodoos going on there and make no sense why you have to do them that way. BTW, updating firmware via Bluetooth low energy via WiFi, what could possibly go wrong? Shimano e-tube software is not ready for prime time yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano E Tube Firmware update failure [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
I am glad these steps worked out for you. There are a lot of voodoos going on there and make no sense why you have to do them that way. BTW, updating firmware via Bluetooth low energy via WiFi, what could possibly go wrong? Shimano e-tube software is not ready for prime time yet.

I have never had an issue with the software using it with a hardwire link to a PC via either of the interfaces Shimano has to do that. Whenever I read of issues with the E-Tube software in the last year or two, it always seems to revolve around the bluetooth aspect of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano E Tube Firmware update failure [Bdaghisallo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, I took it to my local shop and the mechanic said he would give it a try. He has never fixed any di2 issues and had to verify they even had the correct cable to connect it to their PC. Great start here...

I stop back later and it was working. The mechanic seemed more surprised than me, and said he really didn't know exactly what he did. He said the software said the battery was fine, but it did not like the front and rear derailleur's. Bottom line, all is working.

I asked how much, he said nothing as he used it as a learning experience with di2 as he had a new bike with di2 he was building up this weekend. Plus, he couldn't say what he did. I will be stopping by with a few six packs of some good local micro brews to thank the guys. This is why I need to continue supporting my LBS as often as possible.

Ryan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going to give this a go. I have:

Ultra FD/RD-6870 mechs, R671 aerobar shifters, ST-6871 TT shift/brake units, EW90 5-port junction A and the rest are standard parts.

I've upgraded to a WU111 unit and BT-DN110 internal battery. Dropped mid firmware update and now bricked. Managed to get the system running again by disconnecting the battery, but can't update. I've tried bridging the front half of my 8070 road bike with RS910 Junction A and WU111 with the back half of the tri bike (6870 mechs) but that doesn't work.

Will try just your workflow with crossed fingers!
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano E Tube Firmware update failure [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
after you connect and hopefully update make sure you disconnect the connection in the eTube software. If you don’t the Di2 system will act like it’s bricked. I’ve ran into that problem in the beginning.
Last edited by: mike s: Mar 29, 19 13:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Mike, your post has been invaluable in getting this sorted - thanks!

All components updated to latest firmware and working nicely - and I made sure to disconnect the Bluetooth connection. Thanks for the warning!
Quote Reply