Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shimano DI2 12 sp this spring?
Quote | Reply
Any word on a new group set from Shimano this spring for the road? 12 speed? Wireless? 1X?
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano DI2 12 sp this spring? [TPerry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given SRAM and Campy have been available in 12sp for some time, I can't imagine Shimano NOT going 12sp for new Dura Ace. 2x12 should offer a wide range AND close jumps.

They do offer 1x in their new GRX groupset, but I'm not sure if there is huge demand for this amongst their DA customers. You might see it in Ultegra when 12sp trickles down.

I'm not sure that wireless is a huge priority for Shimano, although perhaps some wireless satellite shifters?

However, it would appear that many manufacturers are considering delaying their 2020 product launches due to delays in sub-components from coronavirus. No idea whether this will include Shimano and any potential DA announcement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope they carry over hyperglide+ from their MTB groups. The change it makes in shifting is very real. Combined with Di2 it would be an absolute dream.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a 28 page thread of speculation on this topic over on the weightweenies forum.

TPerry wrote:
Any word on a new group set from Shimano this spring for the road? 12 speed? Wireless? 1X?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano generally ANNOUNCES new product in late summer, early fall. A few OEM's will have the product fairly quickly. The full product generally doesn't make it to the component market until about 9 or 10 months later. So, I would say there will be no Shimano Di2 road 12 speed THIS spring. But they could announce it this summer for availability NEXT spring!
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano DI2 12 sp this spring? [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, agreed.

They may (or may not) announce things this year, but you will definitely not be able to ride 12sp Di2 this spring.
(my opinion)

BetterShifting.com - Di2 help and guides| BetterShifting Instagram | Terry's Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TPerry wrote:

Dura Ace is aimed at road racers. Remember Aqua Blue's issues with 1x road, and that Shimano is pretty traditional in some ways. Do you really think that Shimano would introduce a 1x option for Dura Ace? I can admittedly see a use case for 1x on a crit-specific or flat TT-specific bike. Or perhaps some of the flat spring classics, but only if they can keep the chain on. I think there's nearly zero chance Shimano would introduce a 1x option for Dura Ace.

I don't think it's likely they'll go wireless, although I wouldn't mind.

12 speed is nearly a given: Shimano's MTB groups are all 12x, and Campy and SRAM have 12x road groups.

Mind you, this isn't information that I've heard from anyone, it's just informed speculation. I bet that anyone who has heard anything is under a non-disclosure agreement.
Last edited by: weiwentg: Mar 12, 20 8:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The reason i prefer di2 to Etap is the single, hidden battery with long life than can be charged via a USB.
Routing cables is a pain, but only has to be done once for the life of most bikes.
Yes, the absence of shifting cables is cleaner but not that big of a deal and we're getting more integrated stems that hide it all now anyways.

So... if Shimano goes wireless they better give me an easily chargeable by USB solution.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano DI2 12 sp this spring? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I've got 1x etap (admittedly on my tt rig) and I've never had a problem with battery life etc. Nor have I had trouble being able to take it off & charge it. I'm curious, why are you so keen on getting a USB chargeable option?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will 12 speed be the limit. Is there space for a future 13th gear?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FlashBazbo wrote:
Shimano generally ANNOUNCES new product in late summer, early fall. A few OEM's will have the product fairly quickly. The full product generally doesn't make it to the component market until about 9 or 10 months later. So, I would say there will be no Shimano Di2 road 12 speed THIS spring. But they could announce it this summer for availability NEXT spring!

DA9000 was announced in late May 2012, DA9100 in late June 2016. Who knows if reading past tea leaves can divine the future.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano DI2 12 sp this spring? [mcalista] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcalista wrote:
FlashBazbo wrote:

DA9000 was announced in late May 2012, DA9100 in late June 2016. Who knows if reading past tea leaves can divine the future.

Hence my use of the English word, "generally." There are exceptions to the routine. But you can count on the product not hitting store shelves for several months after the intro. So, add several months to now (which is already spring) and you can see that there will be no Di2 12-speed available to the public THIS spring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, I agree with the main parts of your post about the timeline of availability to OEM's and as components (didn't mean to imply otherwise). Just wanted to add some more specific info re timing of past announcements.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano DI2 12 sp this spring? [jaredhartshorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cuz it's just a tiny cable I throw in my bag, rather than an etap charging dock.
It also doubles as the firmware update cable to my computer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SRAM is wireless update, no need to double the function of the cable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair point. I take it you have di2 across more than 1 bike then?
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano DI2 12 sp this spring? [jaredhartshorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaredhartshorn wrote:
Fair point. I take it you have di2 across more than 1 bike then?

Seven bikes in my household
3 di2
1 SRAM Force 22
1 Ultegra 6800
1 Force 1
1 Apex 1

Maybe I need to own an etap bike to appreciate. I want a new AXS bike but expensive AF right now!
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano DI2 12 sp this spring? [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
SRAM is wireless update, no need to double the function of the cable.

My understanding was only the new AXS does wireless update. I can handle that. I update my Coros watch via the app and it's so easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old etap was wireless as well, but via a dongle instead of via a mobile app. There was never an update though.
Quote Reply