Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Shimano 12-gears with power meter ??
Quote | Reply
Hi fellows,

Anyone have an update on whether Shimano is going to come out with a 12-gear and power meter groupos?

Thank you,

GG
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 12-gears with power meter ?? [Gatineau Gator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shimano's 100 year anniversary is coming up this weekend, and it is expected they will release the next generation of Dura-Ace at that time. What it will be is anyone's guess, but there has been a lot of speculation of a 12 speed wireless or partial-wireless drivetrain.

Shimano also has a powermeter Dura-Ace 11 speed crankset in FC-R9100-P.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably, yeah. Apparently BMC leaked a bike spec today that list 12 sp DA and quickly took it down:

https://cycling.today/...efore-removing-info/

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 12-gears with power meter ?? [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi fellows,

With the Crankset have a power meter?

Thanks,

GG
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gatineau Gator wrote:
Hi fellows,

With the Crankset have a power meter?

Thanks,

GG

I doubt it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My thoughts based on just an hunch that if they do come out with 12 speed it will different from Sram.
Just because they are Shimano, late to the 12 speed party, don’t want to follow in Sram footsteps and don’t want to sacrifice the much more silent drivetrain then Sram’s 12 speed.

I think
- 12 speed
- no 10 but still 11 as smallest but do the opposite of what Sram did. Not a smaller front chainring, but go the opposite and go larger in front.
- with powermeter in crank just cause they bought pioneer not for nothing :-).
- maybe wireless

But i could be completely off....

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 12-gears with power meter ?? [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they don't go 10 in the rear, they're leaving a lot of functionality on the table. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 12-gears with power meter ?? [nycbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If Shimano comes out with a 12 speed and power meter groupos, who will buy a new 2021 bike that does not have it? Everyone will wait until 2022!

GG
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe, just Maybe, the world wide shortage of components was to allow the early manufacture of 12 speed and have stock levels to actually sell ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gatineau Gator wrote:
If Shimano comes out with a 12 speed and power meter groupos, who will buy a new 2021 bike that does not have it? Everyone will wait until 2022!

GG
I literally just bought an R8000 groupset this week so yes I am completely expecting the immediate announcement of the next generation.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 12-gears with power meter ?? [jroobol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't want that Shimano power-meter in the crank, its supposedly been garbage from the reviews.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 12-gears with power meter ?? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
Maybe, just Maybe, the world wide shortage of components was to allow the early manufacture of 12 speed and have stock levels to actually sell ?

Shimano made SARS-CoV-2 and released it in China to cause a pandemic to sell more gruppos. True story. /pink

There's apparently almost a one year lead time for the new group already.

12-speed wireless. Smallest cog 11T. 52/36 or 54/40. That's the rumours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On weight weenies the rumor is that the next gen of both DA and Ultegra will be announced in early summer, 12 speeds, wireless shifters but both derailleurs wired to one battery, capacity of DA extended to 34 tooth, still 11tooth as smallest cog, crank will have a double sided power meter. Availability TBD but expect a while before it's available in quantity.

I have no idea as to how credible this information is, just passing it along as it's out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nycbiker wrote:
If they don't go 10 in the rear, they're leaving a lot of functionality on the table. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

As against SRAM's sponsored pro teams, who lock out the 10, despite it being present on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 12-gears with power meter ?? [jroobol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jroobol wrote:
Shimano also has a powermeter Dura-Ace 11 speed crankset in FC-R9100-P.
Thats not a powermeter, its a paperweight
Cant possibly be a PM with such horrendous inaccuracy
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 12-gears with power meter ?? [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
On weight weenies the rumor is that the next gen of both DA and Ultegra will be announced in early summer, 12 speeds, wireless shifters but both derailleurs wired to one battery, capacity of DA extended to 34 tooth, still 11tooth as smallest cog, crank will have a double sided power meter. Availability TBD but expect a while before it's available in quantity.

I have no idea as to how credible this information is, just passing it along as it's out there.
Seems to be rather credible as it has come from several sources including someone inside Shimano Europe that has been correcting the misinformation
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 12-gears with power meter ?? [mcalista] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcalista wrote:

As against SRAM's sponsored pro teams, who lock out the 10, despite it being present on the bike.

OTOH, AXS seems very popular, and losses in the 10t are something probably way less than 1% of cyclists care about.

Though I do wish SRAM would make the 54/41 rings available!
Last edited by: trail: Mar 18, 21 20:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:

That is what we want to hear; but and it is a big BUT... where did you hear that stuff?
Last edited by: Gatineau Gator: Mar 19, 21 2:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mcalista wrote:
nycbiker wrote:

And your source / proof of this pearl of wisdom...?

I accept most sram pro riders are using bigger AXS chainrings than come standard, but please explain why a pro cyclist would willingly remove the option of the 10t, when its already there? Do you really think a pro would rather spin out a 52/11 downhill, versus having the option putting down power with a 52/10 if they need it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gatineau Gator wrote:

That is what we want to hear; but and it is a big BUT... where did you hear that stuff?

From a couple of anonymous posters on the weightweenies forum, one said he was passing on info from Shimano's presentation about the new groups. Another claimed to have placed orders already for the new groups with delivery starting late summer. The other poster expected DA not to arrive until next year, so inconsistent info there. And of course, anyone putting this info out there that isn't making it up would be violating a NDA. There were also a couple of posters claiming their LBS had given them some inside info.

Some other rumors I didn't mention: Ultegra will have a power meter option (sounds very plausible), the D/A look will be black; D/A will have a 54/40 chainring option; the D/A front derailleur is narrower for better aerodynamics; and the 12 speed cassettes will be compatible with current hubs. Somewhat more controversial has been the assertion that the wireless shifters will not have coin cells but will have the power generated by the click action.

I will say that the semi-wireless setup with derailleurs wired and wireless shifters is backed up by patents that have been filed by Shimano and sounds quite plausible to me, it would save weight, keep the derailleurs slimmer, and differentiate the offering from SRAM.

A big change from the past would be the intro of Ultegra at the same time as D/A.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 12-gears with power meter ?? [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
You don't want that Shimano power-meter in the crank, its supposedly been garbage from the reviews.

There have been accuracy issues with power meters based on current Shimano's cranks, both the D/A one and aftermarket ones from the likes of Stages & 4iii. But I would not assume that would automatically be the case with a future generation. It's hard for me to imagine that Shimano would not have learned from their mistakes and the next generation of D/A and (likely) Ultegra power meter cranks would not have addressed this. But we shall see.
Last edited by: tttiltheend: Mar 19, 21 5:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I wasn't aware that they sponsored tri teams.
Last edited by: nycbiker: Mar 19, 21 6:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not fully understanding why someone would lock out the 10. Maybe someone can explain but....

I see the 10 as a "reverse bailout." Rarely used therefore even if it's a watt sucker total cost of use is near zero if used under 5% of the time. Unless you are greatly under geared up front nobody is locked in the 10 for long duration. And quite frankly if you need the 10 it's likely pedaling downhill in which case we are almost always better off tucking :)

Maybe I'm missing something! It just seems with everyone going 10 including Shimano off road with Microspline and that anything but 10 is yet another "standard." Unless maybe they are doing 11 with Microspline. That's probably ok assuming the rest of the gear range is acceptable :) SRAM is NOT!! :) Once SRAM has a 10-40 cassette then they have everyone and everything covered.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
TizzleDK wrote:

There have been accuracy issues with power meters based on current Shimano's cranks, both the D/A one and aftermarket ones from the likes of Stages & 4iii. But I would not assume that would automatically be the case with a future generation. It's hard for me to imagine that Shimano would not have learned from their mistakes and the next generation of D/A and (likely) Ultegra power meter cranks would not have addressed this. But we shall see.

The inaccuracy of the current DA PM has nothing to do with Shimano's capability to make a good power meter, as all the aftermarket versions suffer the same accuracy issues. It has to do with the unique shaping and construction of the drive side spider/arm of the current generation of road hollowtech cranks, which makes it very difficult to correlate the strain-gauge measured deflection of the drive side arm to a specific force input. I'm not even sure I'd call it a "mistake," as they weren't originally designed with the intent to be power meter compatible. The current DA power meter is an afterthought reaction to the aftermarket. I presume that if Shimano is designing the next generation of cranks with a power meter option in mind from the beginning, they will be able to produce an accurate product.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano 12-gears with power meter ?? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The current D/A power meter may be an afterthought but they did bring it to the market and it wasn't as accurate as other options so yes, that is an error, regardless if the design of the crank itself wasn't done with power accuracy in mind.
Quote Reply

Prev Next